NFL 2023 NFC Championship Game - Detroit at San Francisco

Remove this Banner Ad

1674388716029-jpeg.1591473

MONDAY, JANUARY 29 @ 10:30AM (LIVE ON ESPN/KAYO AND 7MATE)
:nfllions: (3)Detroit at :nfl49ers: (1) San Francisco

NB: VIC, NSW, TAS times
less 30 mins SA
less 1 hour Qld
less 1.5 hours NT
less 3 hours WA

Can we really still call the Jags an expansion team, they've been in the league almost 30 years.

I know that's not what you're getting at, but I don't think we need to qualify any team as an 'expansion' anymore.

Should we be calling Seattle and Tampa expansion teams cos they haven't been around the entire SB era?

Everyone has been around almost 20yrs minimum...

Sorry, old man shkes fist at sky moment.
The Panthers are still an expansion team :)

The telling moment was the Lions receiver stepping out of bounds at the one on first down.
True, it was still going to be tough to win from there regardless if they scored a TD or not. Niners were in a groove and only would have needed one first down.

Once you pass on a FG in the 2nd half and fail on 4th down, too many teams keep going for it because they start to chase points they passed on.

The game was crazy. the 1st half the 9ers couldnt move the ball and couldnt get a stop. The 2nd half the Lions couldnt get out of their own way. they just kept giving the 9ers chances. Its the biggest 2nd half meltdown since the Falcons/Pats superbowl.

Might rewatch the 2nd half. Looked like the 49ers tasked Ward with following St Brown. He was seldom targeted.

Good move if so
Steve Wilks is a genius.

Late to the post game party, but wonder if the Lions maybe should have kicked those FGs.....

Not how sport works but you add the 6 points and they win 38-34.

I wonder how much less pressure the 49ers felt knowing they only needed two scores to tie the game instead of 3.

If the NFL can record drops by WRs why doesn't anyone record drops by defenders and how many points it cost the team.

Played out just like Shanahan drew it up.

I'm not a fan of shooting your mouth off til you've accomplished something so I get some of the 49ers hate but part of it is Deebo getting into it with this guy. Yet he's a good guy on the darling Lions.

CGJ has always been a massive dickhead since he entered the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played out just like Shanahan drew it up.
The perfect QB for him. Will miss 4 wide open passes then throw a arm punt that ends being a 50yd completion.

It's not even the first time this season.

The perfect QB for him. Will miss 4 wide open passes then throw a arm punt that ends being a 50yd completion.

It's not even the first time this season.

Not sure if entirely accurate with the first statement for a qb with a completion % near the top of the league.

I get it. Purdy doesn't pass the eye test but at this stage of the season it's the girl I brung to the dance so no point complaining about her now.

Thought I saw a flag thrown on that play near the contest. If it was for defensive pass interference, the catch was irrelevant
I think they picked the flag up

Not sure if entirely accurate with the first statement for a qb with a completion % near the top of the league.

I get it. Purdy doesn't pass the eye test but at this stage of the season it's the girl I brung to the dance so no point complaining about her now.
At times he makes the easy look hard and hard look easy.

The 9ers clearly train tip drills because they had a few big plays in tips that should of been picked off this season

At times he makes the easy look hard and hard look easy.

The 9ers clearly train tip drills because they had a few big plays in tips that should of been picked off this season

I think it also has something to do with how Shanahan designs plays in that every receiver has a role even if they are not designated receivers on the play to perform blocking duties.

That means they are always heads up on the play.

I'm not a fan of shooting your mouth off til you've accomplished something so I get some of the 49ers hate but part of it is Deebo getting into it with this guy. Yet he's a good guy on the darling Lions.

In my defense, pre-game I called both defenses dirty. Not much to like about either of them (Warner and Hutchinson probably the only likeable guys)...

The big knock on the 49ers was that they smoked teams all year and couldn't play from behind, the past 2 weeks has seen the 49ers rally in the 2nd half and win and everyone here is still unhappy.....

In all seriousness, the 49ers D on 3rd down was historically bad in the first half and the biggest culprit of the hole we found ourselves in

1st half
3&9 - 17 yards
3&10 - 11 yards
3&15 - 9 yards
3&12 - 13 yards
3&18 - 23 yards
3&7 - 9 yards
3&Goal (6) - 3 yards

Teams normally go at at 50% on a good day. Lions converted 5/7, average 11 yards to go, ave 12 yards gained.

So many great chances where you'd expect to get a stop and Detroit found space and were able time and time again to keep the drive flowing. After the break they went 1/5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back