NFL 2023 NFC Championship Game - Detroit at San Francisco

Remove this Banner Ad

1674388716029-jpeg.1591473

MONDAY, JANUARY 29 @ 10:30AM (LIVE ON ESPN/KAYO AND 7MATE)
:nfllions: (3)Detroit at :nfl49ers: (1) San Francisco

NB: VIC, NSW, TAS times
less 30 mins SA
less 1 hour Qld
less 1.5 hours NT
less 3 hours WA

Detroit were playing in the NFC Championship game because of their aggressive play calls on 4th down. The don't even make it this far without Campbell as HC.

When faced with a 4th and short outside the 30 yard line, going for the 1st down has a better chance than relying on a headcase kicker to hit from 50 yards. (Unless it is a kick to win the game in the last few seconds). That equation changes slightly towards kicking a FG IF you have one of the few ultra-reliable FG kickers in the NFL

I think they should have gone for it on 4th down at the end of the 1st half as well.

What really cost the Lions a trip to Vegas were all the dropped catches in the 2nd half after the Niners had woken up during the long break and were scoring at will.

And running the ball on 3rd and goal with 1.05 remaining didn't help either - cost the Lions a vital time out - throw the ball and score a TD or stop the clock. 4th down rinse and repeat. Need to keep all 3 TOs in case you score, fail with an onside kick, and need to stop SF to get the ball back with 30 seconds remaining and a chance of a long FG to force OT.

By wasting that TO once the onside kick failed the game was over.
Lions went 20/25 on 4th & 3 or less this season. Yesterday went 1/3.

Aside from the meltdown from the Lions on the offensive side of the ball, Purdy's scramble to create throws and make some huge run plays was one of the undervalued reasons the 9ers were able to comeback.

Some huge 3rd down conversions which helped avoid punting (or having to go for it on 4th) in the 2nd half - all of them needed to secure the lead.

Its a fair point.

I was thinking about the "we always go for it on 4th down" mantra of the Lions and was wondering why they kick extra points? If you're that in to going for it, wouldn't you always go for 2?
Not really the same, more field to work with from the 30 on 4th and 2.

Add to that the Lions were 20/25 on 4th & 3 or fewer inside opponents territory.

He backed Goff/St.Brown & Co. over Badge. Dropped balls cost us the game. Farq it still stings but I’ve witnessed the best season we’ve ever had in my 35 years as a fan. Ben Johnson staying has eased the pain a bit. We got huge cap space and expect Holmes to cook in the draft. An elite pass rusher to partner Hutch and a CB1 top of the list in the offseason. Exciting times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back