Bulletproof® Lifestyle / BP coffee etc...

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not calling on ancient wisdom, it's recognising that we evolved eating meat, fish and veggies. Grains/ pasta is only a recent addition to human diets evolutionary speaking.
You're pretending that recent is automatically worse. This is waffle. Recent is much more in tune with our current evolution.

Pretending 50,000 years of evolution is non-existent is pretty close to a Young Earth Creationist viewpoint.

Do you get that? You're basically saying human and bacterial DNA has remained unchanged for 50,000 years, along with every other environmental factor.

Where did you get that idea? I'd love to see studies showing this. You'd have them, yeah?

It's not calling on ancient wisdom, it's recognising that we evolved eating meat, fish and veggies. Grains/ pasta is only a recent addition to human diets evolutionary speaking. Again, much of the recent scientific data suggest low carb eating is more effective for weight control.

You're defending Paleo by referencing Atkins? Dude. :(

Here you go,from a well regarded study.
Which study?
This is Atkins
To quote you directly:
fad!11!!!
You're tired of defending your gullibility? What happened to the boundless energy and brain-activation? The limitless potential unlocked by a lifestyle much closer to the way humans have evolved (apart from all the actual hunting and gathering, and ignoring with impunity the disease and evolution and environmental change and tons of other stuff that has happened in the last 50k years)?

You have no idea what you're doing to your own body, while claiming immense benefits without any valid scientific proof. None at all.

You're a smart guy and I have no idea why you'd fall for this stuff.

I know what I'm doing to my body... but there are zero effects evident from my most recent blood test. Physically I know I'd be more comfortable sitting here typing out these long pointless (from the point of view of their persuasive effect on the too-credulous) posts with a bit less weight. I'm fine with that.

My daily goal is to drop the bourbons and Hungry Jacks from my diet which has been easy. I agree with you (and everyone) that too much of the wrong food leads to an unbalanced diet. But at the same time, too much of the "right" unprocessed food also leads to an unbalanced diet.

All of them ;)

Hill and Hurtado calculated that foods hunted and collected in the wild account for 95 percent of the Hiwi's total caloric intake; the remaining 5 percent comes from store-bought goods as well as from fruits and squash gathered from the Hiwi's small fields. They rely more on purchased goods during the peak of the dry season.

The Hiwi are not particularly healthy. Compared to the Ache, a hunter–gatherer tribe in Paraguay, the Hiwi are shorter, thinner, more lethargic and less well nourished. Hiwi men and women of all ages constantly complain of hunger. Many Hiwi are heavily infected with parasitic hookworms, which burrow into the small intestine and feed on blood. And only 50 percent of Hiwi children survive beyond the age of 15.
Think of the children!

Last edited:

So in your opinion what is nutritionally lacking in a Paleo based diet.
The food it leaves out.

Got any longitudinal studies on it? They might tell you more.

The best you can probably say about Paleo is that it might not kill you quicker than a balanced diet. It also might cause cancer.

Nobody knows.

The food it leaves out.

Got any longitudinal studies on it? They might tell you more.

The best you can probably say about Paleo is that it might not kill you quicker than a balanced diet. It also might cause cancer.

Nobody knows.
The food it leaves out? So exactly what nutrients will a paleo eater miss out on by eliminating grains, dairy and legumes?

The food it leaves out? So exactly what nutrients will a paleo eater miss out on by eliminating grains, dairy and legumes?
I am sure you already know this with utter certainty. Don't you?

I cannot possibly list every little thing from every study. The question is designed to be unanswerable.

The issue is that there are claims made that are not backed up by any valid science.

In fact you may not be controlling inflammation (another ill-used buzz-word) by eliminating grains.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16904534
This review examines the epidemiologic and clinical evidence concerning diet and inflammation. Dietary patterns high in refined starches, sugar, and saturated and trans-fatty acids, poor in natural antioxidants and fiber from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and poor in omega-3 fatty acids may cause an activation of the innate immune system, most likely by an excessive production of proinflammatory cytokines associated with a reduced production of anti-inflammatory cytokines.
The jury is still out on inflammation (in this context) and its total effects.

God only knows what you're doing to yourself following the paleo fad: it has not been studied. None of the grandiose claims have been properly tested scientifically. That is the entire point.

Huge claims are being made and money spent hand over fist on associated flim-flam based on... no scientific evidence whatsoever, and claims about human evolution that are just plain wrong.

A lower-calorie, balanced diet with exercise shits all over anything else, to use evo's terminology, for general health and weight loss. That is scientific fact* as it stands today.

* The current state of knowledge as determined via the scientific method.

What about them? Grains are the only ones they reccomend you substantially reduce. Good advice IMO
this one doesn't, and again eating the way we have
for the last 50,000+years is the opposite of fad, so please stop calling it that- you sound desperate.

What do you reckon the Aboriginals were eating before we got here? Kangaroo, goanna, fish seeds, vegetables and fruit etc. Not grains, wheatbix, pasta, cokes and Mars Bars. Seems to me your the one on the fad diet ;)

I post the reccomend pyramid, it's not restrictive. It's a balanced diet. Its just that it balances it differently to the Ancel Keys pyramid. more and more dieticians are changing toward this way of eating every day. Australian Cricket team, Port Adelaide and Melbourne FC ring a bell?

rubbish. You just havent looked. But hey, who am I to argue with someone weilding a Dr Karl article.

ferk off with linking Paleo to anti vac. It just further strengthens my belief you barely looked into what you are calling a fad.

Just for your own amusement, you may find it interesting the grains industry takes on this.

Was at a conference this year, and I attended a lot of the sessions on the grains aspect of it. To say they are panicking about low carb diets is an understatement. They dismissed the issue of gluten intolerance as an over rated myth, as most people have never had the biopsy. Their view is people should just ignore them as hypochondriacs. Someone in the audience pointed out they had not had the biopsy, but noticed massive physical improvements when they went gluten free. They asked if this was all in their head. Response was, well you may be one of the 1%, but thats all there is.

Despite this, they are doing massive work on GMO gluten free barleys because it is becoming such as issue, and they are obviously desperate to keep their customers. I had to laugh though after years of fighting GMO grain imports as frankenstien food, now they are losing market share they are embracing them in the name of science and health.

The other thing that was a real crack was the effort to reduce sugars in cereals. Problem is sugars perform roles outside just sweetness, and do change the texture significantly. The bigger issue though was math. If you take out 10% of a products ingredients, the other ingredients all increase their share in the product proportionally. What this meant was even by reducing sugar - and making the mouthfeel and taste of the product suck - you were barely reducing the calories because the grains were effectively taking up the place of the departing sugar.

There is a reason people have similar reactions to going on a reduced grains diet as they do for a reduced sugar diet - its all about the calories.

The talk of fiber is crap too. most grain products are so highly refined the fiber benefits are negligible at best. Also you can get most of your fiber needs by ensuring the right mix of veges.

They dismissed the issue of gluten intolerance as an over rated myth, as most people have never had the biopsy.

In part this is true as only 1 in 100 caucasians and 1 in 180 non caucasians are coeliac, but science is now saying "Non Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity" is a major issue. Personally I have never felt better since giving up wheat and going low carb.

This was in the news a few weeks back from the UK, no wonder they are worried.

Fad for low carbohydrate diets sees supermarket bread sales plunge faster than any other product
  • Supermarket bread sales fell by 8.9 per cent on last year, analysts say
  • Trend for high-protein, low-carb diets also triggered fall in pasta sales
  • Typical white-sliced loaf losing out to exotic alternatives such as flatbreads
By Sean Poulter for the Daily Mail

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ales-plunge-faster-product.html#ixzz3O88LgRf8

And the annual US News top diets are just out, take note of who are responsible for the top 5 diets, and look at the bottom 5 that are basically woven together with the majority who follow them. The bottom five also happen to be the fastest growing dietary choices of the last 4-5 years.Worried?

The stuff above the bottom five are the biggest laugh, Biggest loser, slim fast etc.... lol.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets?int=9c2508

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In part this is true as only 1 in 100 caucasians and 1 in 180 non caucasians are coeliac, but science is now saying "Non Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity" is a major issue. Personally I have never felt better since giving up wheat and going low carb.

Fwiw the grains guys conceded that their stat they were relying on (number of people confirmed with coeliac disease) is artificially low because of the small sample being tested. Most people are simply using elimination diets as sufficient for confirmation. As such, the number of being testing positive is too high to treat with any cred (because of the fact the only people willing to biopsy are likely to be more likely of suffering that the general pop), but too few people are being tested to treat those as confirmed as the expected number.

Given a biopsy ain't cheap, needs a day off work, and is no fun, I'm not surprised so few go through with it

Cheif as you continue to avoid the question
I did not avoid the question. Read my post.

s**t-stirring would be just making fun of the rubbish being posted. I'm posting the facts as close as we know them. Paleo and bulletproof are junk science, plain and simple.

How about some questions for you:
* Have humans evolved in any way the last 50,000 years? 10,000?
* Has bacteria evolved in the last 50,000 years? 10,000? 5,000? 1,000?
* Were grains a part of any human diet prior to 10,000 years ago?
* Is there one model of paleolithic human?
* Did Paleolithic man across the planet have a homogeneous diet?
* What is the difference between Himalayan salt and plain table salt?
* Is this difference significant or is it too miniscule to make any difference?
* What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

You're pretending that recent is automatically worse. This is waffle. Recent is much more in tune with our current evolution.

Pretending 50,000 years of evolution is non-existent is pretty close to a Young Earth Creationist viewpoint.

Do you get that? You're basically saying human and bacterial DNA has remained unchanged for 50,000 years, along with every other environmental factor.
I didnt pretend 50,000 years wasnon existent - where u getting that from?. refined grains only became a part of the diet a few thousand years ago.

On top of that the last 20-30 years has seen genetic modification to the wheat and in most products it's refined to within an inch of it's life. White flour is basically totally devoid of nutrients.

Look it's not the end of the world eating grain products, but on the other hand why make it a big part of your diet when it's basically tastless, fattening and nutritionally moribund?

I know what I'm doing to my body... but there are zero effects evident from my most recent blood test. Physically I know I'd be more comfortable sitting here typing out these long pointless (from the point of view of their persuasive effect on the too-credulous) posts with a bit less weight. I'm fine with that.
In my experience when someone says they're 10kg overweights, it usually means they're 20kegs over ;)
What are you, in mid 30s? I'll be interested to see how your travelling when you're nearly fitty like me.

In my experience when someone says they're 10kg overweights, it usually means they're 20kegs over ;)
What are you, in mid 30s? I'll be interested to see how your travelling when you're nearly fitty like me.
I'm over 40! And the doc said 10kgs. Maybe she was being nice.

I didnt pretend 50,000 years wasnon existent - where u getting that from?. refined grains only became a part of the diet a coupla thousand years ago.
Grains have been part of the diet of some humans for tens of thousands of years.

Now it is only "refined grains"? Brown rice is not included?

Still didn't (couldn't) answer my question.
Of course I couldn't. I said so. The reason is that it is a non-question.

I dare you to answer any one of my questions. If you don't I am ignoring you... forever!

Look it's not the end of the world eating grain products, but on the other hand why make it a big part of your diet when it's basically tastless, fattening and nutritionally moribund?
Totally unsupported statements generalising across an entire species of plant.

Why look do people like flowers? They don't smell nice. (Except the ones that do.)

This was in the news a few weeks back from the UK, no wonder they are worried.

Fad for low carbohydrate diets sees supermarket bread sales plunge faster than any other product
  • Supermarket bread sales fell by 8.9 per cent on last year, analysts say
  • Trend for high-protein, low-carb diets also triggered fall in pasta sales
  • Typical white-sliced loaf losing out to exotic alternatives such as flatbreads
By Sean Poulter for the Daily Mail

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ales-plunge-faster-product.html#ixzz3O88LgRf8
The Wheat board needn't be convcerned. Chief, the most stable genius, is going to pick up the slack.

Look out for a plunge in bourbon and coke stock tohugh.

The Wheat board needn't be convcerned. Chief, the most stable genius, is going to pick up the slack.

Look out for a plunge in bourbon and coke stock tohugh.
Wheat has B vitamins and fibre blah de blah.

Oats have protein, fibre, zinc, copper, manganese... blah de blah.

They have plenty of fibre, vitamins and minerals.

Totally pointless to cut grains out of your diet intentionally. Do you not eat Weet Bix for brekky?? The hell kind of monster are you?

Bazzar will you answer my questions now? Pretty please?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back