Recommitted Cam McCarthy requests trade home to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
at the end of the article it mentions that O'Meara doesn't want to go "home" to Melbourne.
That fact is 100% correct as he is a WA boy.

I agree, but there is no guarantee that their pick next year is nowhere near as late :p
oops, p1ssed off 2 sets of supporters, including my own :oops::p
You're right though, next season's first round pick can only get two places worse than this season, but it can get 15 spots better!

http://www.sen.com.au/news/10-15/latest-on-mccarthy-warnock-omeara-and-bennell#ucI2MFrAHKFhPWBX.97

Hmmm admits that Giants may not trade him.

For only two very late 1st rounders im not surprised. He isnt as confronting as he was previous.[/QUOTE]
I must say I really don't agree with his managers tactics and attitude, he's far to outspoken. I think he really should have kept his mouth shut about what the Dockers may or may not be offering in a trade. That's not his job.

I suppose all Freo can do is offer the two first round picks and let GWS think about it for probably the majority of the trade period and then if they want to accept it they can if not then both parties move on. Unfortunately not all players get to where they want to go to.

their stocks are OK thats a give but how many games did dawson ans johnson miss this year? after that it comes down to quality? are pearce ibbotson smith and silvagni good enought o stand up all year and finals? imo no. they need to get another KPD in, and need to get him in a good age bracket.

Best defensive team in the comp has a problem down back? Hmmm ok.

McPharlin leaves Pearce steps in.

Our back 6 should be
Spurr Pearce Sutcliffe
Ibbo Johnson Sheridan

Zac and Silvagni shouldn't even be considered but give us depth.

KPD and KPF are massively over rated...

Makes this comment in a thread about Freo mortgaging the hilt to get a KPF who is still contracted

barack-obama-seems-legit.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got nothing to add re: McCarthy deal but they didn't say that. Saints fans are throwing that line around but Baines said it won't be traded straight up for Carlisle but would be open to trading it for something compelling (Carlisle + something)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...561561418?sv=799ef73dd08343e638258027df1c5f11
“Our view is that pick five is excessive. We won’t be trading pick five,” Bains told the Herald Sun.

“There are many different ways to do it. As we have said to Essendon we’ll work across the trade period to come up with different possibilities to what the trade might look like for them but it won’t be pick five.”

“That gives you extra flexibility but I think we’re equally clear that our future first round pick won’t be on the table either.”

That's the direct quotes, but then the article says
But Bains admits the Saints could still part with pick No. 5 if it means a sweetener is added to the trade deal with the Bombers or through the addition of a third club.
“I think that seems the most likely approach and as to what that exactly involves remains to be seen,” he said.

Seems contradictory to me.

Our back 6 should be
Spurr Pearce Sutcliffe
Ibbo Johnson Sheridan

im not saying you are poor defensively, its about quality the guys replacing mcpharlin aren't of the same quality, simple enough. I'd also look at your points conceded vs the top teams. you still need to improve and you need to rejig your list profile and bring in some younger players to take the mantle from your older blokes, and that includes your kpd's

A Pearce, Dawson and Johnson are a great back 3.

Ibbo is a very good fourth defender. We have no issues here.
how old are they? how long will they be around for? they're good but how many games did they play this year? what if they miss the finals series like mcpharlin did this and the previous year?

freos two first rounders won't get it done. Freo step first rounders are valuable to them but hold far less value to the Giants. Freo need to offer something the Giants value for the Giants to even consider trading him ie either one of your top 5 players or picks inside the top 10. Not saying that's what he is worth on the open market but if not there is no incentive for the Giants to even consider it. Both options freo

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...561561418?sv=799ef73dd08343e638258027df1c5f11
“Our view is that pick five is excessive. We won’t be trading pick five,” Bains told the Herald Sun.

“There are many different ways to do it. As we have said to Essendon we’ll work across the trade period to come up with different possibilities to what the trade might look like for them but it won’t be pick five.”

“That gives you extra flexibility but I think we’re equally clear that our future first round pick won’t be on the table either.”

That's the direct quotes, but then the article says
But Bains admits the Saints could still part with pick No. 5 if it means a sweetener is added to the trade deal with the Bombers or through the addition of a third club.
“I think that seems the most likely approach and as to what that exactly involves remains to be seen,” he said.

Seems contradictory to me.
Continuing this off topic discussion, the most common sense decision for St. Kilda, Essendon and Collingwood would involve them making a 3 way trade. Pick 5 to Essendon, Freeman and Carlisle to St. Kilda, pick 23 (Ess) to Collingwood.

their stocks are OK thats a give but how many games did dawson ans johnson miss this year? after that it comes down to quality? are pearce ibbotson smith and silvagni good enought o stand up all year and finals? imo no. they need to get another KPD in, and need to get him in a good age bracket.

i'm the first to point out weaknesses in the freo side but the KPD stocks are not it

Our back 6 should be
Spurr Pearce Sutcliffe
Ibbo Johnson Sheridan

Actually statistically you weren't the best defense in the league.

Statistically you were on the same level as the rest of the top 5.

Considering your whole gameplan and list structure is based around defense the fact that you weren't the best defense is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't there some rule about how much a future draft pick can fluctuate?

In the absurd Freo could do a super tank to give GWS next years no1 pick. I thought there was some range set but can't find anything atm.

Two definite implications of the current deal would be that Freo must have first round draft picks in 2017 and 2018 (unless they trade back into 2015 or 2016) which is a smart rule and something that Freo should want to do anyway.

Edit: It looks like technically they could push it one more year without a first round pick and then take 'restrictions' after that but again if this went through I'd hope first round picks for the next few years was a priority anyway.

And Freo wouldn't be able to trade any other draft picks for the 2016 draft. So if there's any chance for the Bennell trade it would have to be from this years picks plus player trades.

Last edited:
This article quotes him as saying "“He met with me on Monday said he’s absolutely desperate to return to WA, he didn’t want to play for GWS,” Young said on SEN.

Sounds to me that he is cooling on the move and wants to stay at GWS......... :p

Will GWS ever get a better offer for McCarthy?
Some people really rate this bloke.
Personally i think he will only ever amount to average.
But going on performance this year i can understand clubs getting a tent in their pants over him.

There have be countless examples of players excelling early or kicking a bunch of goals and going on to have a mediocre career. As mentioned, he's unproven at this stage. He was a pick 14 who's going to attract 2 x 1st round selections. Very fair deal IMO.

Anthony, McDougall and McKinley are some. They're not identical situations but show how early goals don't necessarily translate to a long, high quality career.

There have be countless examples of players excelling early or kicking a bunch of goals and going on to have a mediocre career. As mentioned, he's unproven at this stage. He was a pick 14 who's going to attract 2 x 1st round selections. Very fair deal IMO.

Anthony, McDougall and McKinley are some. They're not identical situations but show how early goals don't necessarily translate to a long, high quality career.

Daniel Metropolis, 2 1st rounders or GTFO!

Makes this comment in a thread about Freo mortgaging the hilt to get a KPF who is still contracted

barack-obama-seems-legit.jpeg

2 first rounders around 16 isn't exactly going nuts for a kid that wants to come home.

We finished top with really only Pav. You guys finished 2nd with Kennedy, Darling and a host of other options.

Plus KPF did jack in the GF and the idea of this type of forward being a must I think is becoming obsolete to some degree.

You guys also finished second with no KPD, so my argument holds a fair bit in it's favour.

Won and lost in the midfield. Will always be the case. You guys got flogged in the GF in there, so having a coleman medalist didn't really mean jack to the outcome did it?

Nah Frawley has come good.

Freo need more than a Forward though. They need a coach willing to attack hard and back his players.

I agree. I think Ross wanted too, but not at the expense of what he has ingrained into his team. Needs tweaking for sure. I do agree with his assessment of our player personel.

The interesting question would be if you swapped sides but not the coaches who would win? I simply think Hawks could play the Ross plan better as there squad is better and Freo could play the Hawks game plan but not do it as well as the Hawks.

I don't think anyone could disagree with that assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back