List Mgmt. Cam McCarthy Requests Trade to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that thinks that 2 likely late teens picks for him isn't a good deal for us is mad.
GC now want a 1st rounder for Bennell after Essendon asked about him, so to get both him and McCarthy might mean us letting go of a player or getting another club involved

I guess that's why I view high picks as overrated because our staff have done an amazing job of finding talent with later picks.

Tbh our drafting hasnt been amazing, yes you can throw up 4-5 names that we plucked in the 2nd or 3rd rounds
but then have a look at all those wasted picks

2013 - #17 Michael Apeness (still early days, but gut feeling is if Tabs is above him in the pecking order then thats not a great look)
2012 - #17 Josh Simpson (enough said)
2011 - #29 Alex Forster (taken ahead of home grown players Elliot Yeo and Bradley Hill) amazing job
2010 - #20 Jayden Pitt (taken ahead of home grown players Jack Darling and Alex Fasolo) seriously

Tbh our drafting hasnt been amazing, yes you can throw up 4-5 names that we plucked in the 2nd or 3rd rounds

2013 - #17 Michael Apeness (still early days, but gut feeling is if Tabs is above him in the pecking order then thats not a great look)
2011 - #29 Alex Forster (taken ahead of home grown players Elliot Yeo and Bradley Hill) amazing job
2010 - #20 Jayden Pitt (taken ahead of home grown players Jack Darling and Alex Fasolo) seriously
You have kinda missed the point I was making.

Our later picks and mature age rookie pick ups have been very good. Barlow, Neale, Alex Pearce, Sutcliffe, and Mzungu have all played some pretty good footy for us. It has almost made up for our bad luck and poor 1st round picks. Almost.

We get Bennell and McCarthy you could say we are getting back on track.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

If we can trade two first rounders and one second round for McCarthy and Bennell we are definitely setting up our future as both have an absolute ton of football ahead of them.

It really depends if McCarthy performs, if he doesnt and we get no decent draft picks for two years, thats where im worried
then we would have to trade players like croz,neale,clarke,sheridan back to their home states just to get involved in the draft

You have kinda missed the point I was making.

i get the point, sometimes you get lucky with a 2nd or 3rd rounder, every club has done it
How about making the most of the first rounder and drafting a 200 game player

Fyfe??

Sheridan??

Both will play 200 games at least.

Yeah time will tell with sheridan i guess -Ross seems to like him, my post was pointed towards the lack of forwards being drafted. We all knew Pav was doing it alone, yet we went after skinny midfielders and missed out on Darling, Fasolo

Apeness was injured for most of the season and Pitt could have become anything if it wasn't for his heart problem.

McCarthy not performing although of course possible is significantly less likely than either/both of those 2 picks being no good.

Its possible, but hard to tell, wouldnt you hate if GWS draft Ryan Burton with our pick he turns out to be a gun
would be like Essendon drafting Lloyd and Lucas with our picks we gave them..

Apeness was injured for most of the season and Pitt could have become anything if it wasn't for his heart problem.
Pitt at his best sadly was not even close to AFL standard, really raised the eyebrows when we drafted Pitt and Simpson, both skinny undersize mids when we clearly needed forwards

I wish people would start to see the distinction between our late first rounders (unless we tumble down the ladder next year) and just thinking the whole first round is an awesome opportunity to pick guns. There's only been a handful of good players drafted in the 15-20 range in the last 10 years. For about 80-90% of them you would gladly swap two of them for someone like McCarthy.

Let's ignore the draft picks. Would people trade Sheridan + Apeness for McCarthy, or Weller + Apeness? As someone has said, the odds are that our next two first rounders will be one who turns out a bit iffy, and one who might be a good (but not great) player. Or both of them turn out iffy. I don't mind playing the percentages. It is extremely unlikely we would be giving away say Shuey + Rance (two players in that late first round bracket).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its possible, but hard to tell, wouldnt you hate if GWS draft Ryan Burton with our pick he turns out to be a gun
Meh, it would take me about half a second to say yes to this trade. Our forward line is rubbish and McCarthy would very likely really help, it's a no brainer. Can't spend your time living scared of mistakes made years ago.

Pitt at his best sadly was not even close to AFL standard, really raised the eyebrows when we drafted Pitt and Simpson, both skinny undersize mids when we clearly needed forwards
You have the added benefit of hindsight.
Fremantle have made mistakes but they have got it right as well. Imagine if they had taken a forward instead of a skinny half back flanker called Fyfe.

Appness has shown not much before being injured, took a few marks but poor kick on goal, Pitt could been anything but could've been close to delist at the end of that season if not performing.

The biggest thing against doing this trade is that it shuts the door on using future trades in two years if Jesse Hogan were to become available. Yes, that is a pipe dream, but a pretty good one. Also, I think if Hogan were to nominate us, we would have to lose some star players.
We are also betting that we don't drop down the ladder next year. Probably a fair bet, but how bitter would we be if we miss out on a high first rounder?
I don't think McCarthy is the answer as a first choice tall forward. But he would help. Go for the trade.

He is no where near the height needed to play CHF and even if he put on another 20 kgs of bulk to be able to compete with established CHB 's .
The average CHB is 190cm to 195 cm ,Crozier is 185cm and 78kgs Tanner Smith is 196cm and 91 kgs just as an example .

He just doesnt have the speed and small body agility to be a pocket type player.

The biggest thing against doing this trade is that it shuts the door on using future trades in two years if Jesse Hogan were to become available. Yes, that is a pipe dream, but a pretty good one. Also, I think if Hogan were to nominate us, we would have to lose some star players.
We are also betting that we don't drop down the ladder next year. Probably a fair bet, but how bitter would we be if we miss out on a high first rounder?
I don't think McCarthy is the answer as a first choice tall forward. But he would help. Go for the trade.

Maybe not completely, the wording of the AFL release makes it sound like even in that case we could choose to do a future trade in 2017 although we'd certainly cop 'restrictions'. In that scenario we'd be giving up a lot of unknown talent but then we'd also have McCarthy and Hogan....

Clubs must make at least two first-round selections in each four-year period. If they don't, they will face restrictions from trading any further first-round draft picks. - See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-...ad-but-with-restrictions#sthash.Tcj4hnef.dpuf

I said this in the thread on the main board but I'm sure there is some rule that locks a future pick into a certain range based on this years position.

Freo could never have drafted Lloyd. (Unless they declined to take any uncontracted players and took him first in 1996)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back