Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Use this thread to post all articles, podcasts etc

Keeps it all nice & neat.

I'll start it off with this article.

Nice read.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Bond between Eddie Betts, Chris Yarran and Jeff Garlett a key for Carlton

EDDIE Betts shows a hint of pride, even though he is casually chattering and laughing about being a role model for Carlton's indigenous players. But Jeff Garlett and Chris Yarran won't have it.

They are constantly on the look out for ways to take their teammate down a peg.
He may be like an older brother to them, may have been a mentor over the years, but he can still expect some ridicule at every opportunity.

524498-carlton-rotate.jpg

476633-carlton-indigenous-trio.jpg

Bond between Eddie Betts, Chris Yarran and Jeff Garlett a key for Carlton

Re: Yarran Betts & Garlett a key for Carlton

This article as well.

Garlett to spend time in defence

SPARE a thought for any AFL half-forward of questionable pace who lines up against Carlton this season. His opponent might be Chris Yarran or Jeff Garlett.

As part of their plan to develop a versatile outfit, the Blues are likely to experiment with using Garlett's dash off the back flank in 2012.
Assistant coach Alan Richardson said the quest to develop players capable of playing in a variety of positions was a priority under the coaching of Brett Ratten.

Garlett to spend time in defence

Love this part :D

Garlett: "I'd rather stay up forward, but the coaches are just trying to mix it up a bit ... "

Betts: "They're trying to get him to run off half-back and burn everybody off."

Garlett
: " ... If I was a coach, I'd just leave me up forward."

Jeff Garlett is such a great story.

You kind of hold your breath for a season or two with some young kids wondering if they'll be able to settle into lives away from home, family and communities.

Then when you see clubs losing players to the homesickness bug we've gotten pretty lucky in the likes of Gibbs and Garlett. They seem to have taken to the club so well given their back ground stories before arriving at the club.

Given our success in the preseason draft maybe we should dedicate one preseason pick a year to picking up an undrafted indigenous kid.

It's going to take more than $$$$ to separate these boys they have an amazing bond to go along with their amazing talents.
My favourite part to the read was Jeffy saying to Richo he would be elated to the seniors in his debut and he was!!! Love it.:D

If these three guys continue their upward improvement from the last couple of seasons, and keep a consistent level of output across the season, we will play off for a GF spot.

Bookmark it.

How could you not enjoy what these 3 blokes bring to the club and the game? :thumbsu:

Spot on Thy. :thumbsu:

Even though I read the articles online in the early hours of the morning, I have just read them again in the print version whilst having breakfast.

Love all 3 of them and they are so exciting and a pleasure to watch.

You'd hope that after his AFL career ends Carlton can find a position for Eddie dealing with young players both indigenous and non-indigenous in helping them settle into life at the club if they have come from interstate or remote areas.

Seems to have a good demeanor and understanding for dealing with young people in that situation.

How could you not enjoy what these 3 blokes bring to the club and the game? :thumbsu:

The acid test is always the reaction of fans from other clubs when a player has, or is approaching, the ball.

Even non-Carlton supporters get excited when they go near it, enough said.

Absolutely thrilled to have all three at our club and look forward to many more years of the same excitement.

You'd hope that after his AFL career ends Carlton can find a position for Eddie dealing with young players both indigenous and non-indigenous in helping them settle into life at the club if they have come from interstate or remote areas.

Seems to have a good demeanor and understanding for dealing with young people in that situation.

Great idea. :thumbsu: Might be too obvious for the CFC though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great idea. :thumbsu: Might be too obvious for the CFC though.

Not so sure on that.

Our recent recruiting has shown perhaps an understanding of how if players don't fit in early on you can lose them.

When we recruited Gibbs we recruited Austin.

We recruited Jeff and Chris two long time friends.

Method to our madness!

Hard to pick a favourite amongst the three. May have to get number 131938 on my back :confused:

You love watching all three boys on the track, but I personally find Garlett the most exciting.
Betts is your jack-in-the-box, Yarran glides over the turf and Garlett looks like a cheetah tracking its prey.
Amazingly quick over the first 10 metres and has a good grip once he gets hold of you.

It's going to take more than $$$$ to separate these boys they have an amazing bond to go along with their amazing talents.
My favourite part to the read was Jeffy saying to Richo he would be elated to the seniors in his debut and he was!!! Love it.:D
That's what I like about Jeffy so much - he has so much confidence and the talent to back it up.

Even in the following exchange he says what he thinks:

Garlett: "I'd rather stay up forward, but the coaches are just trying to mix it up a bit ... "

Betts: "They're trying to get him to run off half-back and burn everybody off."

Garlett
: " ... If I was a coach, I'd just leave me up forward."

Ratts you're on notice!

5 Cent is gold :D

A lot smaller than 50 Cent :D

Love this part as well Stamos :p

Carlton recruiter Shane Rogers remembers driving Garlett to Visy Park for the first time.
"I gave him the spiel about the club and the importance of knuckling down and biding your time to earn elevation to the senior list later in the season," Rogers told the Carlton website.

"He said to me, 'Oh no, I'll play Round 1, don't worry about that'. I said to him, 'You've got to be elevated prior to Round 1', and he said, 'I will'. And he was."

Am a massive fan of these 3. Love the way they play footy - high pace, high skill, high risk. Pure excitement, and badly needed in this era of dull ultra-defensive game day tactics (Saints, Swans, Pies, Crows) that has taken the fun out of footy, and killed crowds (esp in SA). Footy is about entertainment. It's no surprise to me that Carlton are the highest TV rating club in the AFL. It's because footy fans, even the non-Carlton supporter group, love watching guys like Eddie, Yarran and Jeff play as well as the other impressive Carlton talent. BTW, this is a decent article. 99.99% of the footy journalistic efforts are diabolically bad and outright embarrassing. This one is a rare exception that slipped through.

:)

Hard to pick a favourite amongst the three. May have to get number 131938 on my back :confused:

You love watching all three boys on the track, but I personally find Garlett the most exciting.
Betts is your jack-in-the-box, Yarran glides over the turf and Garlett looks like a cheetah tracking its prey.
Amazingly quick over the first 10 metres and has a good grip once he gets hold of you.

Can't be watching 13 closely enough:)

Yarran, Garlett then Betts for me.

Betts is the best of that group and will be until Yarran takes it to another level.

Good thing for all of us is, they're all amazing at what they do!

1-3-19+38=17

Ok I'll show myself out:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back