Caulfield Cup 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised I'll get my money back through sportsbet as my first bet on the cup placed yesterday ran 2nd. Do they normally drag thier heels with this?

My LV bet has been refunded and they are talking up their refund amount on their website already - so it should be back in there now.

Can't believe Junoob hung on for last. I was scanning between it, The Offer and Stipulate until around the 600.

At that point I knew none of them could win so looked elsewhere.

Junoob had a real tough fun 3 and 4 wide most of the way. Still was hoping it had a bit more to give.

Might be at the end of it's prep.

Watching the replay, Jesus LV flew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't believe Junoob hung on for last. I was scanning between it, The Offer and Stipulate until around the 600.

At that point I knew none of them could win so looked elsewhere.

Junoob had a real tough fun 3 and 4 wide most of the way. Still was hoping it had a bit more to give.

Might be at the end of it's prep.

Watching the replay, Jesus LV flew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did confirm the view I always have that the key factor when it comes to both cups is CLASS. The Japanese horse defeated two Oaks placegetters and a Turnbull placegetter - horses that look good winning second tier handicap lead ups generally find that the class is too much for them on the day and so it proved again this year.

Apparently Purton has said that it was the plan to be 3-wide the trip with cover because that's what Japanese horses like! Not sure if he has come up with that after the fact or not but I guess he would know. You'd hope thats the case as having watched the replay he could have actually found the fence at the winning post the first time. For the first 800m or so it felt like I was watching an apprentice riding given how little control he seemed to have of the horse. I guess the key was getting cover from Moraity down the back.

Best horse won no question. Dont think anything really had an excuse.

Out of mine the best easily Araldo, jesus christ that horse could be anything if he had a brain. Have a look at him at the back (last), gets checked, over races, hangs in, get detached from the field and then looks a fleeting chance at the top of the straight (genius ride by Williams) then hangs his way in the whole way up the straight, should have been placed for sure. If only he was more tractable in regards to positioning and settling in the run.

As Clutchy has to said to me before: I think he's taking the piss. Spot on mate, spot on.

Very very sneaky Melbourne Cup chance if he gets in.

Last edited:
Partly irrelevant - I was cursing Purton all the way around because I thought he'd slaughtered it! 3 wide the entire trip and still storms home over the top of them.
Start wasn't ideal, but after he hustled Hawkspur out of a spot in the running line I thought it was a great ride. I like how he just rode it ugly, knew he was on a proven stayer.

Admittedly went a little Veandercross on the turn, but Waller's plodders were 3 abreast and not going anywhere.

Apparently Purton has said that it was the plan to be 3-wide the trip with cover because that's what Japanese horses like! Not sure if he has come up with that after the fact or not but I guess he would know. You'd hope thats the case as having watched the replay he could have actually found the fence at the winning post the first time.
He was awake to not getting too far back though, would've had Renew in front of him and Unchain My Heart inside him :drunk:. Don't think he could've come from behind LV and beaten her; track position > extra ground.

Have any jockeys been rubbed out? Some big interference in the race..

Ps Holy crap the admiral was good
The race was a farce like most big races we have here are nowdays. Its a bugbear of mine that stewards do not punish riders with big penalties or uphold protests like the Big Memory one last week. He clearly ran horses off the track and if the racing industry wants SAFE racing the only way to get it that way is by costing jockeys in the hip pocket. ok this is why i dont post much here, I have strong unpopular opinions and i need to keep them to myself!! (and its off topic too oops)

Douglas Whyte gave Junoob a sore back, wide & working all the way.
Actually ran well to get as close as he did

seth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pity about Rising Romance as I was keen on it for months. Peach of a ride by McDonald but the Japanese horses are top class. Nothing wrong with Purton's ride on Admiral Rakti - Travelling three wide with cover is fine - Travelling wide is over-rated in Australia as long as the horse is comfortable.

Pity about Rising Romance as I was keen on it for months. Peach of a ride by McDonald but the Japanese horses are top class. Nothing wrong with Purton's ride on Admiral Rakti - Travelling three wide with cover is fine - Travelling wide is over-rated in Australia as long as the horse is comfortable.
I dont mind them travelling wide as long as they have cover. If Purdon snagged him to last and just let him bowl he would have won by 3 or 4 lengths. He lost about 4 lengths around the last turn. The only way he can get beaten in the Melbourne Cup is if he gets ridden the same way again

Partly irrelevant - I was cursing Purton all the way around because I thought he'd slaughtered it! 3 wide the entire trip and still storms home over the top of them.

Admire Rakti wins anyway but McEvoy totally butchered LV, it was nothing short of disgraceful to have her 5 wide and last at the first turn from barrier 12.

Pathetic stuff.

Admire Rakti dropped her on the turn but she should have been 2 pairs further forward in the run.

I dont mind them travelling wide as long as they have cover. If Purdon snagged him to last and just let him bowl he would have won by 3 or 4 lengths. He lost about 4 lengths around the last turn. The only way he can get beaten in the Melbourne Cup is if he gets ridden the same way again

Lol no he wouldn't. Apart from running a bit wide on the corner the ride from Purton was perfect - 3 wide with cover is the position you want when you're on a quality runner. Getting caught up between runners or on the rails is horrible in these big races

Lol no he wouldn't. Apart from running a bit wide on the corner the ride from Purton was perfect - 3 wide with cover is the position you want when you're on a quality runner. Getting caught up between runners or on the rails is horrible in these big races
If he settled last he would have smoothly taken off around the 800 meter mark and then made the corner smoothly rather than off balance. Show me any race at all where a horse won going around a corner like that and won. He won because he had 6 lengths on them

He'll get beaten with a half decent ride on LV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back