Chad Wingard or Cyril Rioli

Wingard or Rioli

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can only judge them by comparing their first couple of seasons.

Cyril wins the first season.
Chad wins the second season.
Chad will probably win the third season.

Cyril's a meat and potatoes small forward who has brilliant bursts every few games. Due to soft tissue injuries and the inevitable decline of Hawthorn as the dominant team of the last few years, we may have seen much of his best football. Chad could be anything, but that's said of a lot of players who remain solid performers throughout their careers. It's up to him.

Chad is a much better fit for the Blues (can you imagine a mosquito fleet of Wingard, Menzel and Yarran?). For that reason I'm picking Chad, although Rioli is very good and would slot into any team's forward line.

Already achieved more, how so?
In only his second season he became one of the youngest AA and B&F winners for a long time. Compared to Cyril's 1 AA and no B&Fs from 6 seasons.
Cyril obviously has the flags but I'm referring to measures of individual player achievements.

In only his second season he became one of the youngest AA and B&F winners for a long time. Compared to Cyril's 1 AA and no B&Fs from 6 seasons.
Cyril obviously has the flags but I'm referring to measures of individual player achievements.
2nd in a B&F when he missed 5 games and he won the AFLPA best young player 08-09, goal of the year 09.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the "Cyril is a better player but I'd take Wingard" philosophy but honestly, how often does Cyril produce? I like Cyril don't get me wrong, but Chad is a brilliant, week in week out performer with an AA and b & f to his name at 20.

Wingard now with 64.32 since Round 1 2013.

Only question left is how many lengths of Flemington Straight between them?

I understand the "Cyril is a better player but I'd take Wingard" philosophy but honestly, how often does Cyril produce? I like Cyril don't get me wrong, but Chad is a brilliant, week in week out performer with an AA and b & f to his name at 20.
How often does he produce? Well, a lot more than people seem to notice or care.

Even this year, when Lloyd decided to take a shot at him not doing enough, he was Top 10 in the AFLCA votes at that point.

Rioli has finished 6th in the b&f in his first season....a premiership year.
In 2009 he came runners up to Sam Mitchell.
In 2010 he came 4th place, despite missing 3 games for the year.
In 2011 he came 8th, despite missing 6 games.
In 2012 he came 7th, while missing 2 games.
in 2013 he came 7th, while missing 10 games.

Now, that's a decent record in a very strong side and period of the HFC.

I understand people don't get a full understanding of what Rioli does each week if he's not scoring goals, and that they have short memories, but Rioli is an absolute gem of a player, and performs "week in, week out".

Rioli by a long way
Why do people feel the need to make posts like this.

By what objective measure could you claim "Rioli" by a long way.

Chad stands up under pressure better, has the same degree of x factor, but probably a little more around goals, Rioli is a better tackler but Chad is both more consistent and higher production in general.

I think currently, he is the better player and will only improve, whereas Rioli is limited by injury

Why do people feel the need to make posts like this.

By what objective measure could you claim "Rioli" by a long way.

Chad stands up under pressure better, has the same degree of x factor, but probably a little more around goals, Rioli is a better tackler but Chad is both more consistent and higher production in general.

I think currently, he is the better player and will only improve, whereas Rioli is limited by injury

None. There's no way to answer any 'who is better' question regarding football objectively. It all comes down to opinion and that poster you quoted would have Rioli a long way in front of Wingard.

Back