Preview Changes and pre-match discussion for Round 4 vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hinkley still won't bite the bullet and drop Tom Jonas who is close to the most under performing player in the side.

Jed McEntee is described as a 'pressure forward' in the preview on the Club website. So there you go, that is why he is in the side.

Meanwhile Orazio is out with a quad injury- another year and nothing changes.

Well he dropped DBJ who is in the leadership group.

Some statement is better than no statement at all

Hoping Jonas gets another bath this weekend though

I mean .. meh.

Our issue is full field defence. Back six is terrible and the forwards and mids have let the oppo waltz through to isolate our terrible defensive match ups.

McEntee and Mead are there for ‘full field’ defence. I feel for Jed. He isn’t up to it, gets selected for roles he isn’t up to, gets slammed by this board and the fans - what are we expecting him to do? Not play when selected?

McKenzie is a better defender than Clurey. On one leg..who knows? What this suggests about the clubs thoughts on Clurey and Pasini have me worried.

Williams is the best performed SANFL player or close to it.

So we drop Jones - fair enough. Drop Bonner - meh. Drop Clurey for McKenzie- meh. Drop DBJ for poor performance but make him the sub….. WTF. What message does that send? What a joke.

Let’s face it. Mitch, Pasini, Evans, Hayes/Teaks/Dante, Mead - should have come in.

Hopefully they stop chopping and changing and giving guys like Sinn, Jones, etc a chance to build form and confidence.

It’s odd when you have selections and just think, ‘there is no way we can win with these players’

Probably would of dropped Jonas and Farell, kept Clurey in, but they were never going to drop DBJ and Jonas together. Personnally prefer Bonner over Farrell who doesnt get enuf of it as a running rebounder. Ok with McEntee who was showing signs towards the last part of 22 and will be a step up in effort over willy and fanta.

I don't see what others are seeing in Williams, without being a smart arse can someone tell me what he gives us? It's definitely not his speed or height. I was at the maggies game last week.

Football nous.

I personally believe that we are too far entrenched in the mire for any quick fix.

Even clearing the decks, and bringing in a new regime is going to be a 4-5 year exercise at best to get us anywhere near where we want/need to be to have any cred again.

I find it hard to care anymore.

Hey though! We're stable, carbon neutral, happy to be playing with the big boys, winning isn't the main game anymore, so let's hold hands and be content. God bless us!
God won’t bless you because we are carbon neutral, sexually fluid and diverse.Hmmm Betty

Hi guys, I’m interested in dyl Williams. I can see he has dominated the SANFL in multiple roles and positions.

What’s the consensus position he will play now?
He will play in your dreamteam and be dropped.

Fantasia is 27 - as much as I'd like him to be, he is extremely unlikely to ever be a success at Port now.
And still has the body of a 13 year old yet to hit puberty. Whatever talent he has when on the park is irrelevant. He's never going to get on there more than a handful of times a year. If we get a new coach, a good chance he's gone. If Ken is still around (puke) he'll be remaining, as ditching him would be admitting a mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I’m not mistaken, we’re going in with only 6 defenders (McKenzie, Aliir, Jonas, Houston, Farrell, Williams). One’s injured (McKenzie), one’s horribly out of form (Jonas), one’s a long way from his best (Houston), one’s unproven and not in good form (Farrell), one’s confidence is up and down like a yo-yo (Aliir) and the other never tested before at AFL level there (Williams). Under-sized. No-one with the ability to shut down Papley or Heeney. This could get crazy ugly.

Just wondering who else will drop back to support. Bergman? JHF?
Yeah we're getting thrashed, our backline was already a major issue but looks extremely worrying. Nice to see a DBJ statement, but the team on paper is seriously weakened by Williams and McEntee. The other problem is DBJ is likely to be the sub anyway, will probably get brought on late and then be brought back into the 22 next week knowing Ken.

We need Burgoyne to get rolling again and Burton to return.

Only Ken could look at our last two weeks and think the solution is to go shorter in defense. Dropping Clurey for McKenzie fine, ok, Clurey, McKenzie and Jonas are all scrapping the bottom of the barrel now, but where the * is Pasini to give us 3 KPD's (as Jonas isn't one)? Williams in is good, although he's going to be the sacrificial lamb for getting flogged. The rest, I'm happy we've gone so unbalanced and bringing in Ken's current short man crush, so we get destroyed.

FWIW I think Williams will look pretty good on Saturday and I expect Mead to be an improver this year. Don’t mind the changes but they didn’t go far enough. Jonas and Lycett very lucky. Not sure how we can expect Finlayson to play well under the strain he’s under.

Is there something wrong with Burgoyne? Our defence can’t be any worse, why aren’t we pumping games into this kid rather than flogging the same dead horses each week.
He's in rotten form.

I'm bemused by the McEntee selection too since he was virtually unsighted last week, but if they must pick him I'd prefer him to play as a small defender. He doesn't really show any attributes of a midfielder or forward but has reasonable pace and is supposedly a good tackler, so why not try him on the opposition's small forwards?

So are about 5 other guys in the AFL side.
True but Burgoyne needs to find his feet again. Probably not a bad thing for him, Sinn, Pasini and Georgiades to find some form at the lower level and be out of the spotlight of what could turn even uglier over the next few games. The backline we’ve selected for Saturday is not the ideal place for a second year player bereft of confidence.

We’ve done the McKenzie for clurey for McKenzie for clurey for McKenzie dance enough.

It’s such a token, “see I’m trying new things” move without ever actually changing anything.

Good to see Williams in, we might as well find out before his contract is up whether he’s got anything in his new position.

I don’t see the point in picking mead when we’ve got more mids than we can rotate through the midfield.

Where are we playing mead? Forward? Half back? Why?

And mcintee.. lol. Great idea to sink more afl games into a player who’s a dead certainty to be delisted and never seen on an afl list ever again.
I don't get this at all. McKenzie has clearly been preferred the last this year and last but keeps getting injured. If McKenzie didn't get injured there'd be no swapping between them.

How the * Lycett isn’t dropped after playing the worst game of football I have ever seen has me completely baffled.

And also the fact the coaches clearly don’t rate Clurey, but did nothing about addressing our undersized backline in the off-season is damning. No wonder Aliir has no confidence, the poor guy is under siege every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back