Changes for the Second Test vs England (Adelaide, Dec 5-9)

Remove this Banner Ad

The boys earned themselves a 10 day break after their 4 day demolition of the English. Coupled with the face that none of the bowlers had a huge workload means that there'll probably be no changes. The only thing I can see happening is that Harris may be rested to save him for the third test in Perth, which is back to back with the Adelaide test, but it's not something that I'd do. Keep the foot on the throat.

The batsman that failed (Rogers, Watson, Smith and Bailey) all have solid arguments to keep them in the team for the moment, as well as no-one (other than Marcus North) really putting the pressure on them in the Shield. Give them the chance to hopefully get some batting form on the flatter Adelaide pitch.

No change. No need for a change, best to show confidence in this group. Bailey should get more Tests, ideally when you debut a new player you give them a whole series. If you really need to make a change, then you make it, but if you can, you give him the series. Smith has good form coming into this series and should hold his spot. Watson made 180 one Test ago. He needs to perform in this series, for mine. Rogers also needs to perform but holds his spot for now.

Hope to see some Shield players keep putting the pressure on by scoring loads of runs.

No change. Should be a long enough turnaround for the fast bowlers to recover in time.

From memory Johnson has an abysmal record at Adelaide oval, and it will definitely be a flatter pitch than the GABBA, but you'd be a brave man to leave him out after a performance like that. It'll be interesting to see if targeting them with the short stuff works as well when the pitch is less helpful.

I'd be dropping Johnson and bringing in a bowler like Sayers who can extract movement from the Adelaide surface. It isn't a bouncy surface and Johnson has always struggled against good sides in Adelaide. He needs bounce because he has no idea how to use a seam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I would bring in North for Rogers based not only on form but that I think we'll want at least a part-time 2nd spinning option in Adelaide. However wouldn't be unhappy with no change.

I'd be dropping Johnson and bringing in a bowler like Sayers who can extract movement from the Adelaide surface. It isn't a bouncy surface and Johnson has always struggled against good sides in Adelaide. He needs bounce because he has no idea how to use a seam.

Are you for real? Warner makes a hundred and you get stuck into him. Johnson takes 9 wickets and makes 100 runs and you want to drop him. You are a troll, right? No one could actually be that stupid for real.

Are you for real? Warner makes a hundred and you get stuck into him. Johnson takes 9 wickets and makes 100 runs and you want to drop him. You are a troll, right? No one could actually be that stupid for real.
Its not dropped for bad performances. Read my post instead of reading a few words. Some people on this forum really need to go back to school and learn reading comprehension.

Don't know that i'd bring in Sayers but Mitch is so ordinary in Adelaide. It's there where he could come undone bigtime.

They've got 12 days or so turnaround, but then Perth is quick on it's heels. Hard to rest Harris though.

Clarke will use Johnson only in 3 over bursts if he plays and Harris in 5 over ones. Siddle and Lyon will be doing the Heavy lifting in our first bowling innings and Watson, Smith and Warner will also need to chip in.

Watson will need to bowl a lot in Adelaide. If they go in with him humming and harring about his fitness, they'll deserve everything they get.

There's a few factors to consider with Adelaide-Perth being back to back tests;

1. The dreaded 'R' word. It could make sense to rest one of Harris/Johnson but if it's Harris it may be unwise to bring in a second left-armer, (eg. Bollinger/Sayers). It could mean there are plenty of footmarks created for Swann to exploit.

2. Related to point 1, the Adelaide pitch. Will a new drop-in pitch mean few footmarks get created regardless of our attack?

3. Watson. He'll need to bowl some decent spells in Adelaide. He also needs more time in the middle facing a red ball. There's a round of shield games from Nov29-Dec2. Should he play (just as a batsman) to get more practice?

4. Our top 6. Winning covers a multitude of sins. 4 out of our top 6 failed at the Gabba. I want to see a few of these guys gets runs in Adelaide because the WACA is no place for an out of form batsman.

No changes necessary. If there was to be a change, Phil Hughes in.:hearts:

Yes lets bring Hughes in, the bloke that is an absolute spud against spin...on a pitch Swann will bowl 100 overs.

Personally I would bring in North for Rogers based not only on form but that I think we'll want at least a part-time 2nd spinning option in Adelaide. However wouldn't be unhappy with no change.

We have 3 part time spinning options already in the side: Smith, Warner and Clarke (albeit unlikely)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back