Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 23 vs. Brisbane, Marvel, Fri 18/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think those boundary umpires need to go back to the twos, just can’t see them getting a run next week.

That Smith Handball to Jezza was a strange one.

I’d imagine that the boundary umpire didn’t have the authority to blow his whistle even if he saw it (or maybe was unclear)

The field umpire probably thought that if he didn’t hear the boundary umpire’s whistle, then it would even occur to him what happened (given he was busy setting the mark)

And the MRO in the ARC is probably constrained to only reviewing the sequence from the kick to when it passes through the goals, so the handball was out of scope.

An all round total cockup that makes the game look bad. I’d imagine that the AFL would be ensuring that the boundary umpires blow their whistle if they ever see that again.

So for me this is a no brainer change.
In: Cox
Out: Moore

So here’s my reasoning, it was obvious that Billy was bought in as the second ruck option and spare back as it turned out we needed that spare back. McStay had to second ruck and the less said about that the better. So Cox comes in and he and Cameron share the ruck because we definitely need good rucks against the big O and Joe. Howie stays forward and is the spare back if needed and Cox is that spare big forward. We cover all 3 tall positions that we need. I’d be scared to bits of a DC and McStay duo against Brisbane that would be very ugly. The big Texan gives us cover.

I’d like to see something done to improve the mids like Finn or Ed but it won’t happen.

Not a Sidebottom fan?

We look pretty well sorted barring centre bounces.

Out Cameron , In Cox
Out Moore , In Sidey

JDG isn't providing the speed out of CBA I was expecting and we look slow. Not sure how we fix it looking at our depth unless we train up Beau for CBA.

I feel like our backline will be stretched thin if we keep Howe up forward with Moore out. Frampton in Defence worries me especially with Daniher…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel like our backline will be stretched thin if we keep Howe up forward with Moore out. Frampton in Defence worries me especially with Daniher…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Daniher is going to kick a bag next week even if Moore was playing. Sadly there's just those players that exist that turn it on against us regardless of best efforts.

Genuinely confused about the bullying claim. I was pointing out that Markov cops whipping boy status but played a genuinely great game tonight - as did Ginnivan who receives a lot of love. Thuper thimple thtuff.
I feel like Markov hasn't been a whipping boy since May now? Pies fans love him. He's a genuine favourite in the Ponsford.

With Frampton back, Cox replaces Moore

If Sidey fit , not sure which mid goes out. Maybe WHE. Personally I would rest Titch at Marvel and freshen him up.

The match ups for Daniher Hipwood and Cameron are bad for us. At least we don’t desperately need the win next week

With Frampton back, Cox replaces Moore

If Sidey fit , not sure which mid goes out. Maybe WHE. Personally I would rest Titch at Marvel and freshen him up.

The match ups for Daniher Hipwood and Cameron are bad for us. At least we don’t desperately need the win next week
ground is an issue .... will tax ageing legs so this should be a consideration

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN: Sidebottom
OUT: Moore

B: J.Noble - B.Frampton - B.Maynard
HB: I.Quaynor - N.Murphy - J.Crisp
C: J.Daicos - S.Pendlebury - S.Sidebottom
HF: B.Hill - B.Mihocek - B.McCreery
F: J.Howe - D.McStay - J.Elliott
R: D.Cameron - J.DeGoey - T.Mitchell
I: O.Markov - P.Lipinski - T.Adams - J.Ginnivan
S: W.Hoskin-Elliott

Big test for Frampton V Daniher. Murphy will take Hipwood with Maynard having to take Gunston.

The argument would be you could bring in AJ/Kreuger/Cox for Moore and roll Howe back, however I think we need to see Howe forward again.

Sidebottom's injury was a foot, was it not? I'd be surprised if he's back after one week. Foot injuries can be troublesome for a while.

Cox in for Moore for me. Obviously with no Moore we'd lose the flexibility to ruck with Billy, and Cameron can't solo ruck.

I would also have Ginnivan start at the expense of one of the outside runners, as they won't likely have as much influence at Marvel. Hoskin-Elliott played a brilliant first half I thought, but feel like he's the unlucky one.

B: Brayden Maynard - Nathan Murphy - Isaac Quaynor
HB: Jack Crisp - Billy Frampton - Oleg Markov
C: Josh Daicos - Tom Mitchell - Patrick Lipinski
HF: Bobby Hill - Brody Mihocek - Jeremy Howe
F: Jamie Elliott - Dan McStay - Jack Ginnivan
R: Darcy Cameron - Scott Pendlebury - Jordan De Goey
I: Taylor Adams - Beau McCreery - John Noble - Mason Cox
Sub: Will Hoskin-Elliott

Cox in and Moore out. I can't abide watching McStay in the ruck and shudder to think Fly is going down that line of thought with finals just around the corner. Imagine McStay taking a centre bounce in the last term of a prelim or the GF. We struggle enough in the centre square and Gawn or The Big O would tear us a new one if we do it.

Cameron dropped everything that came his way tonight. His hands are terrible at the moment. The leeway he gets after games like tonight compared to the lanky Yank is a joke.

Out Moore
In Ruscoe

Out Noble
In Ginnivan

Sub Sidebottom

In the first half, when the Cats were all over us, Markov and WHE were great!

He may have been rusty in the first 5 minutes, but Ginnivan was EXCELLENT.

Lipinski help us turn it around in the centre.

Howe was dangerous up forward. The cats defenders had to be accountable. Maybe that helped Checkers get his 5?

If Sidebottom is sore, nurse him in.
Of all our defenders, Noble looks like the weakest link.

Sounds to me like Moore might actually play next week

In: Sidebottom I guess, Cox
Out: Cameron, Adams (I know it won’t happen no matter how bad he continues to be)

But if Darcy misses then I guess Krueger?

Out: Cameron, Adams (I know it won’t happen no matter how bad he continues to be)

Adams poor? 22 disposals, 6 tackles, 1 goal, 12 score involvements. Hard to justify calling that poor for a forward/mid.

Bloody Hell - I only watched the highlights and have to laugh at your comment on Adams.

Persisting with Darcy Cameron will cost us a flag. Cox in as he can actually get more than 5cm off the ground at centre bounces.

Imagine a grand final matchup with Cameron against Gawn.

On the flip side, imagine Cox against Gawn in a GF with Cox chasing Gawn's tail for 120 minutes around the ground. Doesn't have the tank.

Last edited:
I'll give massive props to Ginnivan if people give massive props to Markov.

Have a sneaking feeling the scan will show something for Moore anyway - so I think it'll most likely be a Sidebottom for Moore swap.

Whether it’s tightness or a strain, Moore needs to rest…testing will show signs of susceptibility to injury. Tightness is one such a sign.

Lippa showed last year that he’s best 22, he isn’t at the moment. I’m bringing Macrae back in to take some load of our aging on ball brigade and Jordy who will also probably miss or need a break.

Out: Moore, Jordy, Lippa
In: Cox, Macrae Sidebottom

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doubt Cameron gets dropped. Macrae believes in keeping blokes in when they should be dropped.

What’s he done to be dropped ? He’s not setting the world on fire at the moment, but he’s going ok. Also injured earlier in the year, you just don’t know how we’ll he’s recovered and how long it will take for him to play with fitness and confidence again.

I do prefer Cox though, he has X factor. Whether he’s on ball giving deft back heels to open players or clunking a grab…he’s also quicker than Cameron and deadly at full forward with quick delivery.

Cameron out; Cox in. Straight swap in ruck. Cameron had a better 2nd half but was weak & uncompetitive in 1st half.

Moore out; Ruscoe in. Ruscoe takes Gunston, Murphy on Hipwood and Frampton on Daniher. Frampton takes 2nd ruck duties when Daniher rolls in there.

Howe stays forward, helps defensively against Andrews and uses footy IQ to stay involved offensively.

Quaynor or Markov vs C.Cameron.

Not sure Marvel concrete park is suitable for Sidey coming back from foot injury. But if he’s ready to go give Mitchell a rest.

Moore will be out for weeks. He grabbed high on his hamstring and pulled up mid sprint so I can’t see how that’s innocuous. Bizarrely, no ice applied after he came off, which might mean ….

Whether it’s tightness or a strain, Moore needs to rest…testing will show signs of susceptibility to injury. Tightness is one such a sign.

Lippa showed last year that he’s best 22, he isn’t at the moment. I’m bringing Macrae back in to take some load of our aging on ball brigade and Jordy who will also probably miss or need a break.

Out: Moore, Jordy, Lippa
In: Cox, Macrae Sidebottom

Um..

Lippa had 25 disposals. 8 tackles. 13 contested possessions, 7 score involvements, 5 clearances.
Tonight is not a game where there was any merit to drop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back