Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 20 vs. Carlton, MCG, Fri 28/07, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haaaaaang on - are you suggesting dropping Bobby Hill for spud Ginnivan - OMG!!!!!!
The word spud should be banned when applied to any Collingwood footballer. It is such a derogatory term for the boys who play their hearts out in the black and white.

Interesting (edit: not in the slightest. This is percentage) that we now have the highest average margin of victory. Big improvement on last year and belies the belief we're always in close ones.

Average margin of victory (edit: includes losses so percentage 😅)
Code:
1. COL +25.0
2. BRI +22.5
3. MEL +17.3
4. GEE +16.3
5. CAR +11.8
6. POR +11.3

Last edited:
Interesting that we now have the highest average margin of victory. Big improvement on last year and belies the belief we're always in close ones.

Average margin of victory

Code:
1. COL +25.0
2. BRI +22.5
3. MEL +17.3
4. GEE +16.3
5. CAR +11.8
6. POR +11.3

Wait until you work out what percentage means on the ladder 😉

On topic but looking at things a tad differently...20 players are locks (Howe Murphy Maynard Crisp Moore Quaynor J. Daicos Pendlebury N.Daicos D. McStay J.Elliot B.Mihocek B.Hill D.Cameron T.Mitchell J.DeGoey T.Adams S. Sidebottom B. McCreery J.Noble) ...leaving 2 bench spots, a sub and 3 emergencies and one for luck :)

How would you rank the following players in terms of their positional excellence? For mine it would be:

1. A.Johnson (as a tall forward)
2. W. Hoskin-Elliot (as a utility)
3. J.Ginnivan (as a small forward)
4. M.Cox (as a ruckman/forward)
5. O.Markov (as a small defender)
6. B.Frampton (as a tall defender)
7. P.Lipinski (as a midfielder)

* Note the word excellence, not importance.

The word spud should be banned when applied to any Collingwood footballer. It is such a derogatory term for the boys who play their hearts out in the black and white.
That's a great call and one that I will strive to adhere to........especially now that Cal Brown is gone from our list! :)

Grigg did it for 3 flags
Carmichael is very unlikely to get a call up this year. Could well find himself on the trade table depending on the moves Wright is looking to make.

All going well, the only players with a realistic chance of getting a call up are WHE, Frampton and Johnson.

Any one of those three could find themselves in the squad on Grand Final day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Couch" highlighting that Mitchell was the lowest rated player on the ground. Which rating is this? There were players with 3 and 4 disposals to his 15 and 4 tackles. Don't see how its possible. He was subbed off, so hardly fair to compare anyway.
It’d be AFL player ratings. I’m not sure how the likes of Hill, Williams, Cox and McEntee could be rated ahead of him on those metrics. Then there’s Farrell who had worse numbers, but gave up 2 free kicks that resulted in late goals. Bit odd.

Walsh seems to struggle to stay on the park these days. Blues will be missing Walsh, McKay, Kennedy, Williams, and potentially several others. I'm sad Matt Owies might not play, I love it when we beat that little campaigner

I particularly liked how On The Couch showed Port kicking daisy cutters to their forwards, showing how it's how they potentially planned to bypass Moore/Murphy...

Reality is it was wet and if the ball wasn't slipping over the back, Moore and Murphy were putting on a spoiling master-class, hence they were trying to keep it in front of their forwards to give them a chance.

Anyway, we're the hunted. Better get used to it.
Did they mention that they didn't bypass our talls at all though? Port's talls did s**t all, it was players like Powell-Pepper who hurt us

Did they mention that they didn't bypass our talls at all though? Port's talls did s**t all, it was players like Powell-Pepper who hurt us

The entire thing is farcical in the way it's being framed lol

If you didn't know the final score and based your view purely on how the media is framing it, you'd think Port Adelaide won by 50 points lol

Port Adelaide - the second placed team having won 13 of 14, played a near perfect game, adjusted their game specifically for us to try and take away our strengths, which they did successfully. They played the conditions better, on their home deck.

...and lost

If that doesn't cause the rest of the comp to s**t bricks I'm not sure what else would lol

I think we'd be eager to bring Wilbur in. Two main reason: (1) he has both pace and run (Bobby and Pat both one, not the other) (2) his aerial ability. Maybe drops more than he should, but at least gives a good contest in the air.

Looking at our midfield and high half forward mix, point (2) might be important. Other than De Goey and, being generous, Pendles, we don't have runners who are good in the air in the middle and forward of the ball. Hosk ahead of Markov and Bobby, with the latter as sub looks good to me. Hill's the sort who could perform a match winning feat, bringing him in late might be the best time for it, especially as that is often the time we are most attacking.

I don't want to be the anti Mitchell guy, but Hosk in for the slow, aerially challenged Mitchell is not a huge stretch either. He takes Adams' spot forward and Adams into the middle.
This is the other path that’s a watch. Mitchell’s problems in terms of holding his spot stem from Naicos moving into the midfield and being the dominant stoppage player we missed in 2022. Entering the season we all thought that would be Mitchell, but JDG’s suspension flipped the script.

Right now the choice is between a linking small mid with limited hurt factor or low possession runner who can give you something in the air. Mitchell needs a good stoppage match this week to solidify his spot, IMO.

This is the other path that’s a watch. Mitchell’s problems in terms of holding his spot stem from Naicos moving into the midfield and being the dominant stoppage player we missed in 2022. Entering the season we all thought that would be Mitchell, but JDG’s suspension flipped the script.

Right now the choice is between a linking small mid with limited hurt factor or low possession runner who can give you something in the air. Mitchell needs a good stoppage match this week to solidify his spot, IMO.
The bloke with the most clearances for us this season probably has a few credits in the bank.

The best way for someone to improve in high pressure games is expose them to more high pressure games.
Plus he came from GWS, so he wasn't used to playing in front of big crowds every week.
He'll make the adjustment.

I particularly liked how On The Couch showed Port kicking daisy cutters to their forwards, showing how it's how they potentially planned to bypass Moore/Murphy...

Reality is it was wet and if the ball wasn't slipping over the back, Moore and Murphy were putting on a spoiling master-class, hence they were trying to keep it in front of their forwards to give them a chance.

Anyway, we're the hunted. Better get used to it.
I recall that we rank very highly in D50 ground ball wins - so you are 100% correct, on a dry day, that strategy will not work.

The wet conditions didn't suit Cox, but his 51% TOG is almost like being an interchange down.
He was well beaten by Aliir.
AJ is a better forward, but Cox's height makes him an awkward matchup.
When McStay was on Aliir, he was trying to drag Aliir wide to open space in the corridor.
WHE might be a possible in because of his overlap run and versatility - he would have been handy against Port.
Hard to say who he would come in for, though!
As for Titch, we don't know if he's carrying a niggle, but if he's fit he'll play.

Cool stat.
Goal accuracy: 1st
Opposition goal accuracy: 18th

Surprised to see we're most accurate. Couch trying to spin this as "luck". No chance a good defence has something to do with it.
It's interesting because I've heard commentators & 'experts' say the explanation for some other teams poor accuracy on goal can also be because they've been forced to take their shots from more difficult positions. Which backs up your point about a good defence. If we drag them into awkward spots to take their shots, that's not luck, that's a tactic.

The wet conditions didn't suit Cox, but his 51% TOG is almost like being an interchange down.
He was well beaten by Aliir.
AJ is a better forward, but Cox's height makes him an awkward matchup.
When McStay was on Aliir, he was trying to drag Aliir wide to open space in the corridor.
WHE might be a possible in because of his overlap run and versatility - he would have been handy against Port.
Hard to say who he would come in for, though!
As for Titch, we don't know if he's carrying a niggle, but if he's fit he'll play.
Blooz poster said they can esily win as they had us on toast at 3 qtr last t year ... lmfao , he seemes to have forgotten what the ensued ... and somehow this is also relevant to this ganme? with half his side on the injury list ...

The bloke with the most clearances for us this season probably has a few credits in the bank.
He only has the most because he's played most time as inside mid though. His numbers haven't been as high as I'd expect, given I think it should be his top priority. Adams and Nick have both been outperforming him for clearances since moving to midfield (small sample).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back