Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 20 vs. Carlton, MCG, Fri 28/07, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He only has the most because he's played most time as inside mid though. His numbers haven't been as high as I'd expect, given I think it should be his top priority. Adams and Nick have both been outperforming him for clearances since moving to midfield (small sample).
Mitchell will be first picked for that inside midfield role in every final.
Gun player

He only has the most because he's played most time as inside mid though. His numbers haven't been as high as I'd expect, given I think it should be his top priority. Adams and Nick have both been outperforming him for clearances since moving to midfield (small sample).
Go back and take a closer look at the numbers. Unless you are restricting your sample size to one game, no Adams hasn't "outperformed" Mitchell in clearances given %ToG

Blooz poster said they can esily win as they had us on toast at 3 qtr last t year ... lmfao , he seemes to have forgotten what the ensued ... and somehow this is also relevant to this ganme? with half his side on the injury list ...
I don’t give a rats what our fwit supporters think, what makes you think we care what an odd fruitloop Carlton supporter’s view is???

Go back and take a closer look at the numbers. Unless you are restricting your sample size to one game, no Adams hasn't "outperformed" Mitchell in clearances given %ToG
Probably has in terms of clearances per stoppage attended.

JDG has averaged the most for us. Adams and Nick are averaging 1 less per game than Mitchell and I daresay they've attended a lot less stoppages per game. Nick would be easily the highest in terms of clearances per stoppage attended.

Mind boggling people are suggesting Mitchell isn’t in our best 23. Yes his been quiet a few weeks but only after he had some kind of injury to his neck. I think Fly is managing his work loads. Come finals he’ll be having a big impact at our centre bounces. Does the dirty work so that Nick and Jordy can shine.

Probably has in terms of clearances per stoppage attended.

JDG has averaged the most for us. Adams and Nick are averaging 1 less per game than Mitchell and I daresay they've attended a lot less stoppages per game. Nick would be easily the highest in terms of clearances per stoppage attended.

Go play with the numbers to your heart's content. Bottom line is that the bloke who has obtained the most clearances for us this year, has a firm spot in the team.

if Mitchell has attended the most stoppages this year, that is also a pretty good indicator of his position in the team.

Adams 9 this week and 7 last week. Nick has been our highest since moving to the middle with 9, 7, 11, 7, 8

Mitchell had 10 in round 1 and 8 two other times (fairly early if I remember). Those are his three best. Recently he's a bit lower. Did better the Freo game in his limited time.

Mitchell's last three full games, where Nick has been a mid, have been 4, 4 and 3 clearances.

Aside from numbers, I'd also argue Adams has had more impactful clearances the last two games. In the Port game 20 kicks and just 5 handballs, was driving us forward from clearances. Mitchell is not as forceful.

It can be unfair to compare Taylor's two games as mostly mid against a season for Mitchell as maybe he is fresher, but he's definitely looked better than Mitchell to me. Not to say they both can't play. Maybe I'm wrong to focus on Mitchell's clearance numbers. To me it should be his prime function, but maybe he has another less obvious role that he's performing well. I would also like to see his first possession numbers, handballing to others after extracting is useful too, though not as useful as a full clearance.

Last edited:
Of course Mitchell will have the most total clearances. There'd be something very wrong if he didn't. All of the other players have had much less CBAs, De Goey the only one who might go close but he has missed a few games. He's clearly been valuable in that role. That's why the discussion comes now that Nick has moved into the middle and Adams has shown strong form there, not before.

Go play with the numbers to your heart's content. Bottom line is that the bloke who has obtained the most clearances for us this year, has a firm spot in the team.

if Mitchell has attended the most stoppages this year, that is also a pretty good indicator of his position in the team.
One man's playing with the numbers is another man's looking more closely at the numbers.

Mitchell is a pure mid, currently being out-performed by 4 other mids in the team. Nick moved into the midfield whilst Jordy was out - in the 3 games since we've had Jordy back, Mitchell has been starting sub once and subbed out in another game. I think he'll hold his place due to helping keep the other 4 fresher, but I don't think it's a certainty.

Nick is not a inside midfielder although he does some work there.
Mitchell is our best option with Tay helping him out.
God help us if we put Nick inside with a high possibility of injury given his size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One man's playing with the numbers is another man's looking more closely at the numbers.

Mitchell is a pure mid, currently being out-performed by 4 other mids in the team. Nick moved into the midfield whilst Jordy was out - in the 3 games since we've had Jordy back, Mitchell has been starting sub once and subbed out in another game. I think he'll hold his place due to helping keep the other 4 fresher, but I don't think it's a certainty.
Whilst I agree that Mitchell has been outshone in clearances by a couple of others, he does play a different role to the likes of De Goey and Daicos (obviously). A 'clearance' is the first effective disposal in the chain, and the stats say that De Goey and Daicos have been better at that, but without having access to champion data, I would guess that Mitchell is superior with 'first possessions', and he is also more effective at negating opposition clearances. I think we need to look at Mitchell as a role player, not an offensive weapon like the other two, he gives our midfield balance. He is definitely in my best side.

Adams 9 this week and 7 last week. Nick has been our highest since moving to the middle with 9, 7, 11, 7, 8

Mitchell had 10 in round 1 and 8 two other times (fairly early if I remember). Those are his three best. Recently he's a bit lower. Did better the Freo game in his limited time.

Mitchell's last three full games, where Nick has been a mid, have been 4, 4 and 3 clearances.

Aside from numbers, I'd also argue Adams has had more impactful clearances the last two games. In the Port game 20 kicks and just 5 handballs, was driving us forward from clearances. Mitchell is not as forceful.

It can be unfair to compare Taylor's two games as mostly mid against a season for Mitchell as maybe he is fresher, but he's definitely looked better than Mitchell to me. Not to say they both can't play. Maybe I'm wrong to focus on Mitchell's clearance numbers. To me it should be his prime function, but maybe he has another less obvious role that he's performing well. I would also like to see his first possession numbers, handballing to others after extracting is useful too, though not as useful as a full clearance.

Have to admit I’m a bit vague on this but is the clearance given to the player who clears the congestion or the player who’s 1st in the possession chain leading to the clearance?

In first half against Port - Mitchell wasn't just quiet he was almost a liability - everytime someone gave him the ball the space closed down on him and our movement was stalled. JDG was just as bad. Don't know what was said during half time but both came out looking like different players. Before anyone goes off do youself a favour and go and watch the first half again paying close attention to these two - still trying to get my head around how bad they were in such an important game.

In first half against Port - Mitchell wasn't just quiet he was almost a liability - everytime someone gave him the ball the space closed down on him and our movement was stalled. JDG was just as bad. Don't know what was said during half time but both came out looking like different players. Before anyone goes off do youself a favour and go and watch the first half again paying close attention to these two - still trying to get my head around how bad they were in such an important game.
Degoey was suffering from the flu and didn’t train all week.I think that probably explained why he looked a bit off during the game.As for Mitchell,I don’t know what was wrong with him.Perhaps he’s carrying a niggle or two?He’s definitely not playing as well as he did earlier in the season.I really don’t know what the problem is.

Don't know why we bother this year now apparently Port has found the formula to beating Collingwood. Think we may as well rejig for 2024 assault on the Flag.. :think::think::think:

in the real world no changes
Cox with one chance to grab his spot, i would start Noble as sub this week.

I know right. Every show last night was about what other teams can do to beat us. The Couch was talking up Carlton for about 10 minutes.

I know right. Every show last night was about what other teams can do to beat us. The Couch was talking up Carlton for about 10 minutes.
As much as it has annoyed me to constantly hear the media & commentators talk up ways to beat us & how to stop Nick yadda yadda yadda, I've now concluded it probably also helps our coaches to hear what others think are the ways to beat us. We can be ready & prepared for all the tactics they've discussed.

Edit : I am still a bit annoyed, because it really irks me how we constantly hear these 'experts' talk up & about Sheezel, Ashcroft, Bont, Butters, Liberatore, Port, Lions & Blues .. but I don't hear these same commentators talk about how to stop these players or teams.

Oh woah is me. How many good games have these two put together?
Perhaps we should drop both to fit in with what you're saying.
It was a wet night in awful conditions. Mitchell and DeGoey our most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back