Unofficial Preview Changes/prematch discussion vs Hawthorn (Out: Frog/In: JMac)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Wells, Macmillan and McDonald are fit they will play ones.

Turner isn't contributing enough this year and I think that with Wells back we can shift Boomer back to his favoured half forward role where he can kill teams bringing the ball inside 50. Wellsy into the guts and a bit behind the ball when away from the stoppages.

Despite Ben Jacobs' very solid showings Macmillan will come in for him. I just can't see it not happening knowing the selection approach of the match committee. There is very little in it defensively between them both in one on ones but I think Macmillan is a better reader of play and helps bind the defensive unit.

McDonald to come in for Dumont and take over from Atley on a speedy half forward. Atley to a wing.

B: Wright - Tarrant - Firitto
HB: Macmillan - Thompson - McDonald
C: Atley - Swallow - Gibson
HF: Harvey - Waite - Higgins
F: Brown - Petrie - Thomas
R: Goldstein - Cunnington - Wells
Int: Ziebell - Bastinac - Wood
Sub: Nahas

Thats as close to the best 22 I have seen for a while.

With the mid setup pre bounce.

It always seems we have no bodies defensively.

Maybe because our mids are confident with Goldie they position more offensively but lately the opposition mids seem to cruise out of the center to easily and too direct.

Hawthorn will annihilate us if this continues.

With the mid setup pre bounce.

It always seems we have no bodies defensively.

Maybe because our mids are confident with Goldie they position more offensively but lately the opposition mids seem to cruise out of the center to easily and too direct.

Hawthorn will annihilate us if this continues.
We have been smashed in the centre clearances recently but dominant at stoppages around the ground. The coaches and players need to sort that s**t out and soon. Maybe with Wells and Dal missing we are a bit same same in our player rotations and as soon the opposition get a step on us they are out.

I would not bring Macmillan back in. He has played hardly any footy lately put him back to VFL

Wouldn't bring in Hansen either. Again, not enough game time to be placed into a game like this

Agreed would leave Jacobs in.

Firrito stays he offers a lot of run and strong ground when contested deep at ground level.

McDonald and McMillan watch from the stands again this week.

Turner out for Wells. Dumont sub.

If Dumont goes out of the team after that classy, beyond his years cameo performance i will revoke my membership. Make no mistake about it. He deserves his spot. For me Gibson must go back to the VFL. His disposal by foot is despicable and his only real upside is his engine, needs to be dropped. Can't drop Jacobs after his career best two weeks, even though I'm not a fan, and same goes for Bastinac.
Don't get me wrong Kayne 'Sugar' Turner i adore his endeavour but he needs to have a break in the VFL just to regain some of last years form, not so much he gets 'dropped' so to speak but more of a rest.
For me changes should be as follows:
Out: Turner, Gibson
In: Wells, MacMillan (if fit)
Geezus, settle down.

McDonald to come in for Dumont and take over from Atley on a speedy half forward. Atley to a wing.

Really like this selection, the only change I would make is Wells as our Sub.

Really like this selection, the only change I would make is Wells as our Sub.
I think Wells will be right to play and we really miss his type of player at the centre stoppages at the minute. He is either good to go as a full time mid or not at all IMO. Harvey will replicate what Nahas has been doing at half forward and we can rotate he, Wood, Wells and Higgins through there. Nahas to come on in the third with defensive pressure, pace and evasiveness in the forward half could be ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turner isn't contributing enough this year and I think that with Wells back we can shift Boomer back to his favoured half forward role where he can kill teams bringing the ball inside 50. Wellsy into the guts and a bit behind the ball when away from the stoppages.

Despite Ben Jacobs' very solid showings Macmillan will come in for him. I just can't see it not happening knowing the selection approach of the match committee. There is very little in it defensively between them both in one on ones but I think Macmillan is a better reader of play and helps bind the defensive unit.

Wood or Basti should be dropped before Jacobs.

Hansen was on the bench the entire first quarter in the VFL, came on and though gradually improved, by his own admission was very rusty. I can't see him playing the hawks.

Assuming he is fit, Wells is the only 100% certainty to come in. He comes in for Turner.

As someone else said, the Hawks will roll with a smaller forward line. Wright will get Breust, we know that. Who takes Rioli - Jacobs has played on him before and done well. He would be my first choice.

The reason we beat the Hawks last time IMO was we stifled their run (helped by no Rioli and Hill). I would not be averse to Gibson in a run with role on Smith, who was one of the main reasons the Hawks got back into the game on Saturday night.

I would be happy to go in with one change. Using Dumont as the sub again.

Wood or Basti should be dropped before Jacobs.
Potentially, especially if Atley moves into their role and Jacobs stays where he is. I guess I am looking at from a structured groups perspective, which is how I suspect the match committee look at a team set up. They clearly rate Macmillan, McDonald and Atley ahead of Jacobs so if they want to fit all back into the defensive unit Jacobs gets squeezed out. The question is then does he replace a player further up the ground?

Can't see us dropping Turner then playing Nahas sub. If Turner is dropped then Nahas gets a full game IMO.

Can't see us dropping Turner then playing Nahas sub. If Turner is dropped then Nahas gets a full game IMO.
If we put Boomer back to half forward and more time there from Wood then I think we can adequately replace the forward threat and the pressure. Truth be told Turner has been down defensively and has been a bit of a non-presence of late so we will function better collectively without him.

If Hansen comes in Spud is the obvious one to go out as they play a similar role.

But I'd much rather have Spud than McDonald or McMillan in the back half. His run this year has been important.

It's a valid argument and one that I could see happening. Either way I'd be happy

I think Wells will be right to play and we really miss his type of player at the centre stoppages at the minute. He is either good to go as a full time mid or not at all IMO. Harvey will replicate what Nahas has been doing at half forward and we can rotate he, Wood, Wells and Higgins through there. Nahas to come on in the third with defensive pressure, pace and evasiveness in the forward half could be ideal.
Cant argue with that..
Do you think we have been playing Harvey down back due to necessity? Or is part of a new structure?

Last edited:
Gibson is terrible…. did you see his disposal yesterday??
Did you not see the amount of ground he covered vs Port? No one on our list could get close to that. Will not be dropped. Disposal does let him down at time but he is not alone there. He provides release for the defense. Kadinia Park being an extremely narrow ground negated his game yesterday.

If we put Boomer back to half forward and more time there from Wood then I think we can adequately replace the forward threat and the pressure. Truth be told Turner has been down defensively and has been a bit of a non-presence of late so we will function better collectively without him.
Turner will most likely be dropped but Boomer doesn't provide the same forward pressure as Nahas. Would love to see Boomer and Nahas both forward all game.

Cant argue with that..
Do you think we have playing Harvey down back due to necessity? Or is part of a new structure?
I reckon it is to counter the heavy forward pressure being employed by teams in the early part of the year. We lack a bit of dash back there but more importantly Boomers ability to pick a quick one-two gives us overlap down there and once you get past the first line of pressure it gets easier to get one out the back of their set up. Another part of the rationale is also that we can mitigate our losses up front with the inclusion of Higgins and Nahas, but neither are as effective as Boomer. He just creates havoc in the forward half.

If Wells comes back we can play him a bit more behind the ball, and McDonald and Macmillan back we can free Atley up a bit meaning he won't be blanketing a speedy small half forward, so can assist with generating run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back