Changes vs Geelong (R17): Tapscott, Riley, Jetta in for Gawn, Barry, Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong struggle at stoppages, so I feel we need to match there outside run. With Viney, Tyson, Jones and Vince, we should go close to matching them around the stoppages. Where we have to match them is with there outside run. We need improvement with our movement out of defence as well, clearly. Keep the ball away from TMac and Grimes. Tell Dunn, Jetta and (hopefully)Tappy that they are the only ones to use the ball out of defence.

IN

JKH - Time for him to come back in. Provides run and carry.
Tappy - It's now or never for Tappy. Should be used as a ball user out of defence.
Jetta - No brainer.
Toumpas - We need run against the cats and he can at least provide that.

OUT

Salem - needs a rest.
Gawn - with Jamar and Pedo in the side, I feel we don't need 3 big men who can all play a similar role.
Barry - just not up to AFL standard atm.
Garland - has been terrible since coming back into the side. Needs to find some form in the 2's.

I feel the only way we can match it with the Cats is with run. There tall defenders will destroy our tall forwards. So we need to go small IMO.

Terlich and Bail must be close to being dropped as well. Possibly last chance for them this week to lift. Bail started the season ok, but has really struggled over the last month.

* and please, for the love of Christ, can someone tag Stevie J. He absolutely smashes us everytime he plays against us! I want to see him with less than 20 touches please(which will hurt my dreamteam, but I don't give a cr*p). Plonk McKenzie on him and tell NJones to run with Bartel all day! Minimise the impact of these two and we go a long way to keeping the damage down.

I havnt got any stats or anything, so I believe you (only because they need a better ruck division) - but this is pretty surprising if true.
It is true, but it doesn't matter because their struggles are relative to other top teams, not to us - we are probably the worst in the comp for stoppages I imagine.

I havnt got any stats or anything, so I believe you (only because they need a better ruck division) - but this is pretty surprising if true.

It is true, and surprising. Especially with the quality of players they have through the middle, and with one of the best contested football players in the comp in Selwood. However, they have lacked a decent ruckman supplying the mids. So stoppages and clearances is where we can actually match them. However, they are one of the best teams at winning the ball back off teams and hurting opposition with turnovers. So we need to hold onto the ball when we get it and be smart with our decisions. Easier said than done. Especially when most of our team struggle to hit targets.

we are not good at clearances…. really NOT very good…. and its not necessarily our rucks as we get reasonable numbers in hit outs. Its where they go and whom gets them. And it aint usually us….

However, we do get the ball back in the contest often across CHB and we attack thru the guts from there very, very well and quickly.

Go Catters

we are not good at clearances…. really NOT very good…. and its not necessarily our rucks as we get reasonable numbers in hit outs. Its where they go and whom gets them. And it aint usually us….

However, we do get the ball back in the contest often across CHB and we attack thru the guts from there very, very well and quickly.

Go Catters

We'll probably send McKenzie to Stevie J, he always seems to tear us up and he had a great game on the weekend. Jack Viney might go to Selwood like how we used him on Libba two weeks ago. Cameron Guthrie is one I'm really worried about, he's one of your best clearance players and has the pace to really hurt us on the outside. Then there's Bartel...

Aidan Riley might be one for us to bring back. If we can gain an advantage in the clearances it'll go a long way towards us winning the game i.e. the Essendon game which was a tale of two halves - one where we lost the clearances and were 30 points down, and one where we won the clearances and came back.

Jetta on Motlop will be a great duel too, as will Frawley on Hawkins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also

OUT: Salem (Geez Roosy just rest him already!), McKenzie (vomit)
IN: JKH, Riley

EDIT: It's clear at this point that we're well on our way to a quality ruck crisis. Jamar is close to nearly done which is why Maxy is getting a game so often.

The thing we should consider if Roos still wants a ruck/forward is playing Russian as the second ruck...I don't think Maxy has the confidence in his goalkicking and his marking is questionable.

The thing we should consider if Roos still wants a ruck/forward is playing Russian as the second ruck...I don't think Maxy has the confidence in his goalkicking and his marking is questionable.

Agree 100%. Jamar is going alright but he's not going to be there in a couple of years, time to get Gawn going as #1 while the Russian is still a half viable forward.

Guthrie generally tags for them, although maybe they won't bother with that this week. He tagged Griffen last week and would probably go to Vince this week if anyone.

I could also see Guthrie going to Jones. He creates so much good ball for you guys and Guthrie is good both ways. Would be a great contest those two.
Respect for Jones as a player and would be tough day for both of them.

GO Catters

It's a pretty one paced team. This would have about 14 guys on the BF veterans list (so the match payments would be good). To win in the AFL you need some vets, some middle careers and some new guys (who hopefully you are underpaying compared with their value to the team). This team is like having Cross, Glass, Jonathan Brown, Pavlich, etc all in one team. Great players but all together would they win?

It's a pretty one paced team. This would have about 14 guys on the BF veterans list (so the match payments would be good). To win in the AFL you need some vets, some middle careers and some new guys (who hopefully you are underpaying compared with their value to the team). This team is like having Cross, Glass, Jonathan Brown, Pavlich, etc all in one team. Great players but all together would they win?
I'm tipping there would be a LOT of standing around pointing and yelling and not much actual football.

Why is this worth a ****?

I think it's great news, in a weird way.

He's not making the team, all he's doing is losing down at Casey.

He'll get the chance to start his pre-season early, rather than count down the days like the rest of this club.

Toumpas missing the rest of the year is certainly not good news, whichever way you try to cut it.

One less depth player for our senior mids to lean back on in the run home.

Toumpas missing the rest of the year is certainly not good news, whichever way you try to cut it.

One less depth player for our senior mids to lean back on in the run home.
The season is effectively done, most of our games are against top 8 teams.

Toumpas may have played a game or two, now the players that will come in if needed are the ones we actually need to make a call on going into next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back