Teams Chicago Bears - Monsters of the Midway

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Glennon's three-year, $45 million deal with the Bears includes $18.5 million guaranteed, but $16 million of those guarantees are in year one.

And the Bears obviously aren't going to cut Glennon in year one. After 2017, Glennon's only guaranteed money is a $2.5 million roster bonus due in the 2018 offseason. And because Glennon got a small signing bonus ($3 million), the Bears could cut him relatively pain free after one year. Paying Glennon $16 million for a year still isn't easy to stomach, but this is by no means a multi-year commitment. It's also a reflection that Glennon isn't particularly highly thought of around the league. The Bears will continue to look hard at QBs in April's draft.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mike Glennon's three-year, $45 million deal with the Bears includes $18.5 million guaranteed, but $16 million of those guarantees are in year one.

And the Bears obviously aren't going to cut Glennon in year one. After 2017, Glennon's only guaranteed money is a $2.5 million roster bonus due in the 2018 offseason. And because Glennon got a small signing bonus ($3 million), the Bears could cut him relatively pain free after one year. Paying Glennon $16 million for a year still isn't easy to stomach, but this is by no means a multi-year commitment. It's also a reflection that Glennon isn't particularly highly thought of around the league. The Bears will continue to look hard at QBs in April's draft.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
I don't mind taking a 1 year look at Glennon. They overpaid in year 1 to get more flexibility going forward. If he fails you cut him. If he works out you've got him under a cheap deal for 2 more years.

What chance is it that he's a top 10 franchise QB? Maybe 20%? That's still a fair bit higher than the odds of a lot of NFL back ups out there. He seems to do a lot of things right, with the main concern being he doesn't complete short passes at an acceptable rate. That could be relatively easy to fix once he plays in the same system for a while and gets a bond with receivers and backs.

I hope the Bears draft a QB but at the same time the draft isn't a guarantee and the Bears might like 1 of the QB's in the top bracket this year and they might go and then they might only like 1 mid round guy and those mid round guys are a similar low odds of making it.

I don't mind taking a 1 year look at Glennon. They overpaid in year 1 to get more flexibility going forward. If he fails you cut him. If he works out you've got him under a cheap deal for 2 more years.

What chance is it that he's a top 10 franchise QB? Maybe 20%? That's still a fair bit higher than the odds of a lot of NFL back ups out there. He seems to do a lot of things right, with the main concern being he doesn't complete short passes at an acceptable rate. That could be relatively easy to fix once he plays in the same system for a while and gets a bond with receivers and backs.

I hope the Bears draft a QB but at the same time the draft isn't a guarantee and the Bears might like 1 of the QB's in the top bracket this year and they might go and then they might only like 1 mid round guy and those mid round guys are a similar low odds of making it.
You're preaching to the choir on Glennon and the flexibility/test of that (essentially 1 year) deal.

Elsewhere it seems the Bears are scratching around the surface adding a WR, TE, S, CB, T and looking at another CB. I would've liked one of the star CB but that's ok, only so many out there.

I'd like one more offensive play maker, doesn't matter if they are a TE, WR or even a 3rd down back. After I'd be searching the market for any good big boys on cheap deals to bulk up the line depth for training camp.

Hopefully find some quality in the draft after that, particularly CB, TE, DT, WR, OT and of course the QB if the guy is there to take.

Bears have got good position in the draft to take a couple of highly graded WR/TE in the first two or three rounds.
Their better bet is vet FA defensive players to plug up some holes there, gives them more chance of having a decent D right away than drafting a bunch of D players who may need time to cement a starting role.

But they're well positioned to do a mix of both anyway.

So the Bears have signed Sanchez o_O Are they looking at drafting a QB in the first round?

So the Bears have signed Sanchez o_O Are they looking at drafting a QB in the first round?

They needed to give Glennon some competition in training camp. :tearsofjoy:

Oh those Bears... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Bears have got good position in the draft to take a couple of highly graded WR/TE in the first two or three rounds.
Their better bet is vet FA defensive players to plug up some holes there, gives them more chance of having a decent D right away than drafting a bunch of D players who may need time to cement a starting role.

But they're well positioned to do a mix of both anyway.

Question is whether their approach is consistent right accross the front office from GM to the janitor. So many differing opinions bounce off walls and how ideas change and hibernate to become an afterthought ....and before it's too late, they go with BPA which doesn't effectively balance the team needs.

This franchise has seriously underachieved (knowing that their history was encompassed with the finest minds in the game back in the day). They need to overhaul the Front office and bring in 'pro-active minds' who have served under BB or the like : eg Parcells, Ted Thompson, LeBeau.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question is whether their approach is consistent right accross the front office from GM to the janitor. So many differing opinions bounce off walls and how ideas change and hibernate to become an afterthought ....and before it's too late, they go with BPA which doesn't effectively balance the team needs.

This franchise has seriously underachieved (knowing that their history was encompassed with the finest minds in the game back in the day). They need to overhaul the Front office and bring in 'pro-active minds' who have served under BB or the like : eg Parcells, Ted Thompson, LeBeau.

But they won't because they are happy with being mediocre in all aspects. I hate it.. I love the franchise but i hate where and what we have done in the last 10 years

Sounds like they sold the farm for this QB, he better be good.

Panic stations I suspect thinking that the Browns have a swag of picks to move up to #2 but the Niners may have fudged the negotiations with white lies.

Pace has got a pair that's for sure! But hey in 3-4 years we could be saying genius.
Kudos to him for going out and doing what he thought was needed to get his guy.
Trubiski.
Cleveland we're sniffing and he had to.
If 49'ers were lying/bluffing and the other GM's find out and they'll blacklist them from future trades.
We recouped some picks by trading back today, but the TE pick was puzzling?!
Stick it out, it may get uglier this year but give it some (more) time.
Bear Down.

They must have known that someone was trying to make a move to get pick 2 to draft him, rated him highly so willing to pay overs.
We recouped some picks by trading back today, but the TE pick was puzzling?!
Isn't Zach Miller injured? Or don't you rate this guy?

edit - I think they also picked up a TE in FA?

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports "things are not great between" Bears GM Ryan Pace and coach John Fox, and the situation "reached a nadir" in Thursday night's decision to pay a ransom for Mitchell Trubisky at No. 2 overall.

"We don't know what the hell they were doing," said one NFL executive whose team is routinely in the postseason. "It's all anyone is talking about. It's really bad between Pace and Fox. ... From the first pick on, we can't figure out what they were doing. Go back and look at how many small-school kids they took. People around the league are shocked. It's really bad between Pace and Fox." La Canfora suggests the Bears are already eyeballing coaching candidates for the future, namely Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald. The in-fighting in Chicago could conceivably lead to Trubisky seeing the field long before he's ready.

Source: CBS Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back