Toast Chris Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I will agree a little bit to Chris Scott, too many good teams that competing for the Flags if this form continue it will bite us and got eliminated in the QF or PF ...

I am hopeful given what Scott did in 2011 he knows what he needs to do to get the Cats into the finals and ready to play. Especially after the disaster in 2012. We and he should have learned from that debacle.

However a coach can only do so much re injuries that can be a determining factor in a game - I still reckon losing SJ against Freo in that final hurt us a great deal.

If we can get nearly all the cattle on the park - I am confident Scott and the team will be ready for a big finals campaign - even if this year so far has been so-so re how we are playing.

I am hopeful given what Scott did in 2011 he knows what he needs to do to get the Cats into the finals and ready to play. Especially after the disaster in 2012. We and he should have learned from that debacle.

However a coach can only do so much re injuries that can be a determining factor in a game - I still reckon losing SJ against Freo in that final hurt us a great deal.

If we can get nearly all the cattle on the park - I am confident Scott and the team will be ready for a big finals campaign - even if this year so far has been so-so re how we are playing.

Johnson wasn't injured for the first final - he was suspended. It was his own stupid fault. Even then it wouldn't have made any difference given the complacency the whole team displayed.

We call that a spray these days?

Foaming at the mouth? Nope
Pointed index finger in the chest of a small forward? Nope
Kicking of the orange box? Nope
Re-enacting the correct way to kick a footy, then throwing a marker pen towards the goal square? Nope
Knocking away the plastic water bottle from the ruckman's hand?
Singling out one player to abuse, causing widespread relief amongst the rest of the group? Nope
Then walking "serpentine" through the group while smacking the backs of heads with the team sheets? Nope

Barass, Hafey, Jewell and the rest would be ashamed to see what a spray has been reduced to these days.

Johnson wasn't injured for the first final - he was suspended. It was his own stupid fault. Even then it wouldn't have made any difference given the complacency the whole team displayed.

Thanks - yes I should have worded it better - SJ was suspended and it hurt us.

The point I am making here is injuries (and suspensions) may make a uge difference to our results this year. Too many out presently and the 10-1 flatters us a little given the inconsistent nature of our footy this year. It will not be enough to play 1-2 quarters of good footy in the finals. We need to start well, have more centre clearances, get some more leg speed back for run, spread, tackles and forward pressure.

It may improve as a consequence of getting back Chappy, HMac, Rivers, Varcoe and Thunt. Nearly 25 % of the team. It should but then again we first have to get them back uninjured and match fit.

I like our potential but that is ok to say round 11 - but come finals it is not enough. Have to be doing it by then.

Thanks - yes I should have worded it better - SJ was suspended and it hurt us.

The point I am making here is injuries (and suspensions) may make a uge difference to our results this year. Too many out presently and the 10-1 flatters us a little given the inconsistent nature of our footy this year. It will not be enough to play 1-2 quarters of good footy in the finals. We need to start well, have more centre clearances, get some more leg speed back for run, spread, tackles and forward pressure.

It may improve as a consequence of getting back Chappy, HMac, Rivers, Varcoe and Thunt. Nearly 25 % of the team. It should but then again we first have to get them back uninjured and match fit.

I like our potential but that is ok to say round 11 - but come finals it is not enough. Have to be doing it by then.

Yep fair call. I personally am not considering Chapman or McIntosh. I think the two players that will make a significant difference to our team immediately are Taylor Hunt and Varcoe. I think Rivers to a degree but by and large the defence has coped pretty well. We haven't had a third tall forward cut loose on us.

Taylor Hunt and Varcoe. They're the two for me.

Both are absolutely crucial. We have missed them both enormously. They will make an enormous difference to out team. Can't emphasize this enough!!
Agree wholeheartedly. T. Hunt fills the Ling role as well as can be expected and far better than anyone else on our list. In fact he pretty much owns the run-with spot for us.
TV is x-factor on legs. Check out highlights of pretty much any game he is in and he will be there feeding out a hand-pass or actually being the highlight.

Agree wholeheartedly. T. Hunt fills the Ling role as well as can be expected and far better than anyone else on our list. In fact he pretty much owns the run-with spot for us.
TV is x-factor on legs. Check out highlights of pretty much any game he is in and he will be there feeding out a hand-pass or actually being the highlight.

T.Hunt is very underrated by opposition supporters. I just hope he can get back to the form he was in prior to his injury. He was a fast, goal kicking tagger. Don't get any better than that!

Varcoe's game against the Hawks shows what he is capable of. We wouldn't have won that game without him. As you say his x-factor (with Motlop) puts the fear of god into opposing teams. We missed that last year.

Yep fair call. I personally am not considering Chapman or McIntosh. I think the two players that will make a significant difference to our team immediately are Taylor Hunt and Varcoe. I think Rivers to a degree but by and large the defence has coped pretty well. We haven't had a third tall forward cut loose on us.

Taylor Hunt and Varcoe. They're the two for me.

Agree with you P. Thunt and Varcoe will make a huge difference and so far they seem to be on target to get back.

Chappy and HMac seem less likely than Thunt and Varcoe from what we here.

Rivers will still be useful.

Not sure then what our rucks, who are our weakest link at present, will be.

We could do with another good strong mid. Go GHS or Caddy - but this also seems a long shot given their lack experience.

I seem to be hoping a little too much here - Chappy, HMac, GHS, Caddy, Vardy and Simpson. We need probably 2 of these 5 to come good - and be a player for us in the finals. That will make a difference but as stated at present a hope more than a realistic outcome. Than goodness it is only round 11 and we have the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both are absolutely crucial. We have missed them both enormously. They will make an enormous difference to out team. Can't emphasize this enough!!
Agree with you and Partridge on this one - TV and Poodle give us great leg speed and can do a lot of damage for us.
I would also add Rivers to the list as I think his experience and poise will be of enormous benefit in September. Even though he hasn't played a lot of Finals I reckon he will rise to the challenge and relish the opportunity.
Just to be greedy GHS and Caddy in good form and pushing for a berth won't hurt either :D

Yep...agreed...I think Rvers is an important cog...he frees up Harry to run and create, or move forward...

If we can get TV, Motlop, Christensen, and Taylor Hunt in the same team all playing at their best....look out.

Yep...agreed...I think Rvers is an important cog...he frees up Harry to run and create, or move forward...

If we can get TV, Motlop, Christensen, and Taylor Hunt in the same team all playing at their best....look out.

That's the way we beat the hawks in round one, n'est-ce pas?

Agree with you and Partridge on this one - TV and Poodle give us great leg speed and can do a lot of damage for us.
I would also add Rivers to the list as I think his experience and poise will be of enormous benefit in September. Even though he hasn't played a lot of Finals I reckon he will rise to the challenge and relish the opportunity.
Just to be greedy GHS and Caddy in good form and pushing for a berth won't hurt either :D

Yep, and the other thing is Hunt and Varcoe are two of the few players we have entering or in their prime years - 50-130 games, early to mid-20s. Hunt is closing in on 50 games I think, and Varcoe is just over 100. Can't be underestimated.

We are all in agreement about TV and TH. Love them both. Hope the shoulders won't impede their attack on the ball and tackling prowess.
Really missed Motlop on Sat, hope his tendon responded to the intervention.
I have Duncan,TV, TH, JH, Stokes, Bundy, Motlop, Guthrie ALL in best 22. Easily.
Wonder if that's what we'll get.

We are all in agreement about TV and TH. Love them both. Hope the shoulders won't impede their attack on the ball and tackling prowess.
Really missed Motlop on Sat, hope his tendon responded to the intervention.
I have Duncan,TV, TH, JH, Stokes, Bundy, Motlop, Guthrie ALL in best 22. Easily.
Wonder if that's what we'll get.
If only Blakey was there to put it on the chest of Bundy, Mots, Stokesy, Trav et al there would be no stopping us.:rolleyes:

Good to see you're getting over your separation anxiety re Blakey and are beginning to see the light.:)

It's been transferred to D Simpson and MW Brown.
Having one hell of a time getting these 2 up and about to get their 99 games with us!

We call that a spray these days? ...
Barass, Hafey, Jewell and the rest would be ashamed to see what a spray has been reduced to these days.

Two of my mates played under Barrass at Nth and Melb and both said he was hard but the ranting wore off after a while. Today the world has moved on whether we like it or not, and that stuff just won't cut it. You have to tailor the message to the audience.

We call that a spray these days?

Foaming at the mouth? Nope
Pointed index finger in the chest of a small forward? Nope
Kicking of the orange box? Nope
Re-enacting the correct way to kick a footy, then throwing a marker pen towards the goal square? Nope
Knocking away the plastic water bottle from the ruckman's hand?
Singling out one player to abuse, causing widespread relief amongst the rest of the group? Nope
Then walking "serpentine" through the group while smacking the backs of heads with the team sheets? Nope

Agreed on the physicality of it - that said however.. I'm 1000% sure that his message went through loud and clear.

Spitting and pointing looks great on camera but when the quieter ones get animated and just look they way he did - I think it's actually more effective....

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back