Classic Wrestling Thread (60s 70s 80s 90s 00s)

Remove this Banner Ad

is that the "i believe that's mr gilmore's jacket" guy at 3:13

wtf. for no reason that line randomly popped in to my head this morning and i havent watched that video nor have any recollection of seeing the match.

Yep IMO Kane is the greatest big man ever in professional wrestling.
He even performed a dropkick back in 1999!

lol:thumbsu:

Starting to watch a lot more early 90s WWE lately. I'm fairly gutted that I wasn't around at that time, WWE was awesome back then! Back with the likes of Warrior,Savage,Flair etc..

Here's a great Feud. Randy Savage v Ric Flair - Wrestlemania 8. I love the build up, the promos and the match itself as well. Top stuff! :D

Ahhh yeah that was amazing. Jeff Hardy did the massive swanton bomb in that one too? Thought he was going to break his neck, it was off like a 18 foot ladder

Yep that was great as well.
Here's the highlights:

If only WWE these days could base their TLC matches off the TLC matches from the AE!

Still can't believe it's been 8 years.

:(.
I can't believe it's been 8 years either. I remember when I went on WWE.COM during school and I read "Eddie Guerrero Passes away". Shivers down my spine. That week's RAW was the first and only RAW that I've watched and shed a few tears. I loved Guerrero when I was a kid, and for him to no longer be there was heartbreaking.

Nothing that is done in the present will, in my opinion, be better than this era.
Best sell of the stunner in that vid too, HBK @ WM14, simple and effective. Rock used to oversell it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably shouldn't be in this thread but just watched this for the first time just then. What a great match! Great storytelling and the crowd was unbelievable. I think you can tell you are watching a good match when you already know the match result but you still find yourself invested in it.

My only two problems were the commentary and Vince butting in on it.

Is anyone here listening to the Attitude Era Podcast? It's a group of three 20-somethings from the UK who are reviewing every major PPV (as well as a few extra features like notable episodes of RAW) starting from Wrestlemania 14 (1998) through to Wrestlemania 17 (2001). Currently they're about half way through, they just did Summerslam 1999 last week.

They are incredibly entertaining to listen to - both informative and hilarious - and if you have even a passing interest in wrestling from the period of you time they are absolutely required listening. Each show is around 1.5 to 2 hours long and is very well cut together. They're best listened to in order (as they often refer to jokes/comments from previous episodes) but work perfectly fine on their own as well. The "gimmick" of the podcast, if you can call it that, is that while the host has seen almost all of the shows before (and therefore has tonnes of interesting stories and an understanding of the product at the time), the second guy has only seen the shows from mid-99 forward, and the third guy never watched any wrestling until well into the 2000s, so you also get to enjoy their reactions to seeing these shows for the first time.

I've got all of them saved on a USB stick to play in my car, makes the long drive to and from work each day melt away :) They've also got a fairly active Facebook and Twitter community going. They release new episodes every 1-2 weeks so they'll probably continue to update for the best part of this year. They also release occasional videos of their favorite moments of the podcast:

I can't recommend them highly enough, easily the most entertaining podcast I've ever heard on wrestling. They should be required listening for any wrestling fan, honestly.

Also, while I'm here, I'll also link the first video in the series of the compilation of Jericho's heel work in WCW. Seriously, this is some of the funniest TV I've ever seen :D

Last edited:
Also, while I'm here, I'll also link the first video in the series of the compilation of Jericho's heel work in WCW. Seriously, this is some of the funniest TV I've ever seen :D

Thanks for that, hadn't seen a lot of this before.
Man... how good is this guy. Hope we see him again.

Just finished reading Bret Hart's book. Highly recommended and a fascinating insight into wrestling from the 70s to the 90s.

(my only complaint is the number of times he mentions one of his colleagues saying he's the "best worker in the business" or some such, this appears to have happened a lot and he's remembered every one of them)

Loved the Chris Jericho heel days from WCW.

My favourite instance was when he ended "Goldberg's" streak, by getting a midget dressed as Goldberg to come out (with full entrance etc) before beating the hell out of him and pinning him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back