• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
There aren't many if any at all, coaches who are running on thin ice. Who do you believe could see the end after the next season or next?

1. Justin Leppitsch - His draft batch will have to show a lot to save him. They're still a good 2-3 years from being any Finals threat, and the club legend probably doesn't have too long to turn the ship.
2. Chris Scott - Awfully unlikely, but if one two more seasons come around without finals, the board won't be happy. He's working with a great squad, that has cost him two first round picks, and he'll need some September soon.
3. Nathan Buckley - Would have him a place higher but the board seem to have a lot of faith in a coach that has plunged down the ladder every single year. No more finals with a list like that should definitely mean the sack.
4. Rodney Eade - Would also have him higher, however he has only been there for a season, and was working with injuries throughout the entire year, but if no finals take place within 2-3 years, the Suns board will be wondering why they axed McKenna.
5. Damien Hardwick - He's working with a terrific list, but if he can't progress through the first round of finals, the Tiger board will surely become impatient.

! Please don't take this as me taking a shot at your club as if they deserve to be sacked, but it's an interesting topic, and I'd love to know your input !

gunnysack.jpg

I say Bucks based on the media pressure that will come because it is Collingwood. Collingwood sells papers. As well as I see Buckley coaching for himself a little trying to get that premiership he missed out on as a player. But that being said the future looks bright for the pies with some really good kids on the list. I'd like to see a few years without coaches getting the flick due to knee jerk reactions from boards, but history says at least one will go a year. When was the last time no team changed coach? Longer than I can remember.

Leppitsch would have to be the closest. Brisbane have been insipid under him. He took an improving side from an underperforming favourite son and has taken them bad. Brisbane will need to show improvement next year to prove that he's capable of doing the job.

Hardwick would be under a lot of pressure too. If Richmond goes backwards, or even if they stagnate (another first-round finals loss), he may be gone. He's been at the job for a while now and had a lot of time to build the list and get them deep into finals. If he's unable to do that next year, then Richmond may feel they need someone else to take them further than an elim final exit.

Eade still feels too new to the job to be sacked next year, and though the on-field results were poor this year, he did have to contend with a slew of injuries and has evidently made moves to weed our cultural issues that had been allowed to manifest before him.

Which Scott brother do people think is under more pressure to succeed, Brad or Chris? Geelong has made big moves in the off-season, bringing in quality players and trading out a bunch of draft picks. Brad, however, has been at his job longer and hasn't been able to get past the prelim the last two years. If North drops out of the eight last year, I'd think he'd be under a lot of pressure himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick #1 IMO.

He's been in charge of the Tigers for 6 full seasons now, so that's a 5 year plan + 1. 15th, 12th, 12th, 5th, 8th, 5th. Not wonderful.

The biggest problem facing Richmond is the 0-3 record in finals over the last 3 seasons. Twice losers to the 8th placed side (technically Carlton didn't even finish legitimately 8th in 2013) and after winning 8 in a row to scrape into 8th had lost to Port by quarter time. You could see last year's loss coming a mile away. Beat North in Rd 23, up at half time in the EF then coughed up their lead.

If Richmond miss the finals he's gawn, IMO. If they make the finals (5-8) and lose, he's probably gawn also. If they make the top 4 or finish 5-8 and actually manage to win a final then he's probably safe. They need to bank wins early and stop living off 'yeah but we beat Sydney in Sydney and Freo in Perth' when they lose to Melbourne.

I think both Scott brothers are pretty safe. Geelong just recruited heavily so will need a bit of time to gel and wasn't the dispersion caster just re-signed again for some reason?

Justin Leppitsch is a bit stuffed. At best I see the Lions winning 7 or 8 games, so he'd want his board to be measuring him on something other than Ws.

Lol why would they sack Bolton at the end of the year. It's not going to be an overnight turn around for that Club.

The only way it would happen would be some silly business/power games in the Blues' boardroom. Not outside of the realms of possibility based on history. But for me hes the least likely to be sacked. Even the most one eyed Carlton people know what needs to happen.

yeah, we will never be questioning why we got rid of Mckenna.

I think Leppa and Buckley would have to be the 2 favourites to get the can. The lions are looking like they are putting together a quality list and they should really be rising up the ladder with a good injury run, so the pressure will be on if they start slowly. Both Geelong and Collingwood are expected to rise up the ladder off the back of gun recruits so minor improvements/ no finals may be enough to see them gone, especially for Buckley.

However, I feel like the first coach sacked for the year will be a darkhorse. No idea who though.

Dimma will be fine if we make finals and loose. Whose a better coach that we could poach that isnt unproven? I doubt we could poach lyon. Thompson aint interested. Roos will still be involved with the dees in some form.

Back