Collingwood Almanac 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll see where we finish and watch to see how those other options to Moore close out the season and project to go in the draft and make a decision from there based on whether the guys we like more are likely to be available or not.

At this stage I'm still leaning towards nominating Moore as we need a key forward more and he'll be the best available but I'm still watching the entire landscape with interest to see if there is someone else who projects to have a better career.

I would say 11th would be the Absolute Bottom we could Finish

This academy thing needs to be scrapped. It's a joke that Sydney will get a top 5 pick in a year where they could possibly win the flag.
2012 Win premiership - get Tippett for nothing with COLA money to lure him from GC.
2013 Finish top 4, get Franklin as a free agent with COLA money to lure him from GWS.
2014 premiership contender - get Heeney late first round through the academy system.

Yet try and tell any Sydney supporter they have an unfair advantage and be deafened by the squeals of protest :drunk:

I do not believe the academies should be scrapped in developing states because they need to compete against other more dominate codes for the talent in their respective states. The academy concept in finding talent is a great Idea. Maybe we should place a limit on those they can select each year say one per draft with the same current rules similar to F/S in where they are positioned in the draft.

Furthermore maybe we can look at introducing academies in all AFL states, to develop home grown talent. In VIC, talent is Identified from other codes or at junior level and go into the academy, the top twelve are divided between the VIC clubs in their draft year and the rest go into the draft. In SA and WA the top two academy boys are allocated to the local clubs and the rest go into the draft.

This would mean that the top end junior talent would remain in their respective states and the rest go into the the draft.

It is a complicated situation and I am of no illusion that I have the solution but the point is that the academy in none developing states is a good idea, it identifies and brings young talent that we would not normally see to our game. We just have to tinker with it to make it fair in regards to all clubs.

I do not believe the academies should be scrapped in developing states because they need to compete against other more dominate codes for the talent in their respective states. The academy concept in finding talent is a great Idea. Maybe we should place a limit on those they can select each year say one per draft with the same current rules similar to F/S in where they are positioned in the draft.

Furthermore maybe we can look at introducing academies in all AFL states, to develop home grown talent. In VIC, talent is Identified from other codes or at junior level and go into the academy, the top twelve are divided between the VIC clubs in their draft year and the rest go into the draft. In SA and WA the top two academy boys are allocated to the local clubs and the rest go into the draft.

This would mean that the top end junior talent would remain in their respective states and the rest go into the the draft.

It is a complicated situation and I am of no illusion that I have the solution but the point is that the academy in none developing states is a good idea, it identifies and brings young talent that we would not normally see to our game. We just have to tinker with it to make it fair in regards to all clubs.
Or you could just have the academies run by the AFL instead of the clubs to develop the kids and then let them get drafted the same way as everyone else. Giving all clubs an equal crack at these kids is the only way the comp will actually have any hope of being equalised.

We are playing Adelaide this week so I thought I would throw this guy into the ring as a potential fix to our woes.

Here is a different name to discuss: Lewis Johnston (Adel). Not high in anyones thoughts I wouldn't imagine, but before you disregard consider this:

The guy is a kicking machine, think Matt Suckling (in terms of kicking prowess). I think he would be close to being the best kick in the AFL - accuracy & distance combined. I am not even joking.

Was a former high pick in 2008 who has been completely destroyed by injury (10 AFL games to his name) and well that's not real appealing given our current injury struggles. He currently has a broken leg which is a worry. But broken leg = bargain right! That's how I sold my racehorse anyway.

He kicked 50+ in SANFL last year. As an alternate forward who can actually kick goals - anywhere within the 60m arc - he would be more than handy (shocking to think of including goal kicking forwards isn't it). However, I think he would be best used by us off half back (yes I am thinking designated kicker) where he can do a lot of damage.

Given the game style we are heading towards we need this type of player to execute it effectively. Injuries may be the overriding factor, but putting that aside I would have him right up there next to Jeff Garlett on a needs basis. We need to look at players that will improve the side not necessarily the best available.

The Crows have quite a glut of tall/med forwards like Walker, Pods, Jenkins, Lynch, McKernan. Which is astonishing considering they lost Gunstan & Tippett. This leaves Lewis on the fringe and a possible tradeable commodity. It must be noted that he is an SA lad though.

Lewis Johnstons injury is actually a tendon injury in his hand (tendon rupture actually), so no leg injuries at present.

This academy thing needs to be scrapped. It's a joke that Sydney will get a top 5 pick in a year where they could possibly win the flag.

I'd like to see all clubs have the ability to set up academies in NSW and QLD to develop talent.

On Sydney they're getting Heeney who I evaluate the second best in this draft behind Wright and Callum Mills next year who is just as good and is a clear top 5 pick next year also.

My reason for not liking it is the fact that only those NSW and QLD clubs can take advantage of it. The scheme is a massive advantage as Heeney, Mills and Keays next year will show.

I'd love Collingwood to have the opportunity to set up an academy in QLD and NSW to develop guys from the age of 12.

As the system is currently constructed nice idea but poorly executed given the inequality of recruiting opportunity it creates.

Can anyone tell me what our midfield could look like over the next 2-4 years? Do we have the players coming through that will become our next star onballers?

Post Ball/Swan I have a midfield of:

Pendlebury, Beams and Williams as the central 3 to build around with Broomhead, Sidebottom, Freeman, Adams and possibly Kennedy.

Scharenberg, Langdon, Martin, Elliott, Karenzis and Fasolo can all rotate through the midfield.

The midfield is region we run deepest.

I'm hoping Williams can become a hard/power midfielder to compliment Pendlebury and Beams. The others aren't A-graders but all can be good pieces.

A few other positions requiring filling before we looking again at adding more midfielders. The only time you'd look to add further midfielders is only in the situation where they are the clear best available pick in the draft and in another league to those others available.

Hello Mr Knightmare,

Ben Griffiths by all accounts on big footy is out of contract years end (don't know if he has resigned), depth player or potential best 22? 22 years old, 200cm Forward/Ruck, 29 AFL games to date. I think he was hampered by injury early but this year has been given the opportunity early to cement his position but has not taken it. Pick 19 of the 2009 draft, do you think his stocks have dropped or is he still worth a late first round or early second draft pick?

Griffiths is handy depth but not a best 22 player.

Good size and can play both forward and ruck but not great at either.

Not a volume goalkicker. Not a dominant contested mark. Doesn't find that much of the footy and he's a below average tap ruckman.

He would likely take a second round pick for Richmond to even discuss trade scenarios but he's not someone I'd be targeting as a depth guy by position who doesn't project as a guy you want in your best 22.

Tyrone Vickery on that Richmond team same story. Todd Elton same story. Liam McBean is another. Richmond have a lot of the same 200cm key forwards who aren't AFL quality - it feels with them so much a case of quantity and hoping a bunch of reasonably talented super talls make it rather than picking those clear AFL quality key forwards.

Pendlebury, Beams and Williams as the central 3 to build around with Broomhead, Sidebottom, Freeman, Adams and possibly Kennedy.

How do you see Williams as a 1 of our Best Mids in the Future but never played there yet in the Black and White?

I'd like to see all clubs have the ability to set up academies in NSW and QLD to develop talent.

On Sydney they're getting Heeney who I evaluate the second best in this draft behind Wright and Callum Mills next year who is just as good and is a clear top 5 pick next year also.

My reason for not liking it is the fact that only those NSW and QLD clubs can take advantage of it. The scheme is a massive advantage as Heeney, Mills and Keays next year will show.

I'd love Collingwood to have the opportunity to set up an academy in QLD and NSW to develop guys from the age of 12.

As the system is currently constructed nice idea but poorly executed given the inequality of recruiting opportunity it creates.

We had Scholarships before the Academies and I prefer that Sytstem

How do you see Williams as a 1 of our Best Mids in the Future but never played there yet in the Black and White?

I watch the traits Williams shows in game and the traits he shows in game suggests he has a future in our midfield if we give him the opportunity and he continues working at his game.

He's the first to every ball. Reacts quicker when it hits the ground and gets to it quicker. He's so powerful he'll knock just about anyone off the ball. It's as simple as if he and another guy are going for the ball I'd back him in to win it every time. He plays with a hard edge. When he wins it he has the ability with his power to drag the ball forward with the forward momentum he generates.

He's also got midfield movement. He's got that explosive burst of pace but he's also got the agility, sidestep and evasiveness to avoid tackles.

Williams while he's good down back he's got midfield talent and is a guy who alongside Pendlebury and Beams is the optimal compliment as that guy who can add that genuine hard edge to our midfield.

I watch the traits Williams shows in game and the traits he shows in game suggests he has a future in our midfield if we give him the opportunity and he continues working at his game.

He's the first to every ball. Reacts quicker when it hits the ground and gets to it quicker. He's so powerful he'll knock just about anyone off the ball. It's as simple as if he and another guy are going for the ball I'd back him in to win it every time. He plays with a hard edge. When he wins it he has the ability with his power to drag the ball forward with the forward momentum he generates.

He's also got midfield movement. He's got that explosive burst of pace but he's also got the agility, sidestep and evasiveness to avoid tackles.

Williams while he's good down back he's got midfield talent and is a guy who alongside Pendlebury and Beams is the optimal compliment as that guy who can add that genuine hard edge to our midfield.

Fair Enough and you probably right but I would think Williams would have to Develop a Right Foot before he goes into the Midfield or he be to easy to Defend

Fair Enough and you probably right but I would think Williams would have to Develop a Right Foot before he goes into the Midfield or he be to easy to Defend

My reservations with Williams the midfielder is for me mostly his outside game. Is he likely to find enough outside ball and then use it well enough by foot? If he can do those things to an at least reasonable standard then he can become a very, very good midfielder.

Last edited:

Every team had the opportunity - it was called the NSW Scholarship scheme, and it wasnt particularly successful. Granted, we couldn't sign them until the age of 15, but it was the same concept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with KM. Williams to move into midfield. Great 1 on 1 contested footy player with pace. I'd have him do run with roles because he can shut down a player and also hurt offensively. That would make way for Macaffer who is purely negating.

Yes definitely like to see Williams in the midfield. I think this would have happened more this year but Sinclair's injury put a spanner in this and so did failure of the Fasolo experiment.

Sinclair is another example of an injury that has a cascading effect on the team. Last year when both Williams & Sinclair were playing together they looked great, but Williams is now required to do more defensive jobs that Sinclair is suited to. This reduces the dynamics of the team and a number of other losses have this snowball effect too, with Ben Reid being the obvious one that has impacted upon the games of White & Cloke.

Next year with Sinclair back as well as Toovey, Scharenburg and Langdon to choose from there will be a lot more scope to unleash Marley's great ball attacking abilities in the midfield. We have not really had Toovey, Williams & Sinclair all available at the same time yet, I think this has hindered Marley's development (along with the scuffle in WA).

Every team had the opportunity - it was called the NSW Scholarship scheme, and it wasnt particularly successful. Granted, we couldn't sign them until the age of 15, but it was the same concept.

I am familiar with the previous NSW/ACT scholarship system but I'd allow the development of NSW and QLD boys from the age of 12 and allow clubs the opportunity to pump greater resources into the program to allow for more guys to be introduced into the game for starters but secondly to also better develop them.

If the NSW boys decide to sign with Sydney or GWS that's totally up to them and similarly with the QLD boys signing with Gold Coast or Brisbane.
But I'd certainly like to see all clubs receive the same opportunity to access talent and identify and develop talent from NSW and QLD. Just up to the kids where they want to sign with.

I am familiar with the previous NSW/ACT scholarship system but I'd allow the development of NSW and QLD boys from the age of 12 and allow clubs the opportunity to pump greater resources into the program to allow for more guys to be introduced into the game for starters but secondly to also better develop them.

If the NSW boys decide to sign with Sydney or GWS that's totally up to them and similarly with the QLD boys signing with Gold Coast or Brisbane.
But I'd certainly like to see all clubs receive the same opportunity to access talent and identify and develop talent from NSW and QLD. Just up to the kids where they want to sign with.

So the real changes you'd make to the previous model is a) reduce the age of eligibility, and b) copy / paste in Qld?

You'd struggle to have a similar Academy model in both regions, as you'd have 18 teams looking to run academies in the region... There would be a lot of double up (and AFL brand confusion) if it were unconstrained.

So the real changes you'd make to the previous model is a) reduce the age of eligibility, and b) copy / paste in Qld?

You'd struggle to have a similar Academy model in both regions, as you'd have 18 teams looking to run academies in the region... There would be a lot of double up (and AFL brand confusion) if it were unconstrained.

The objectives needing meeting are
a. finding and developing talent in QLD and NSW (the current academy program is doing this well)
b. competitive balance and equal opportunity from a recruiting standpoint (this objective is not being met as evidenced by that Isaac Heeney fella and Mills and Keays who you'll hear more about next year)

Like in politics no system is perfect. Your decision is which system is the least imperfect.

And for me the solution I proposed above is probably that less bad as it meets what I would categorise as the primary objectives as it only further increases the chances of AFL clubs finding and developing talent in QLD and NSW while also meeting the inadequacies of the current system being the lack of competitive balance and equal opportunity through the draft that is currently arising.

The objectives needing meeting are
a. finding and developing talent in QLD and NSW (the current academy program is doing this well)
b. competitive balance and equal opportunity from a recruiting standpoint (this objective is not being met as evidenced by that Isaac Heeney fella and Mills and Keays who you'll hear more about next year)

Like in politics no system is perfect. Your decision is which system is the least imperfect.

And for me the solution I proposed above is probably that less bad as it meets what I would categorise as the primary objectives as it only further increases the chances of AFL clubs finding and developing talent in QLD and NSW while also meeting the inadequacies of the current system being the lack of competitive balance and equal opportunity through the draft that is currently arising.

I think it should not just be the Northern States that have Access to Singing the Kids

Karnezis is a taller and more skilled version. Membrey is slow, undersized and cant go through the midfeild.

Why would a Forward have to go thru the Midfield?

He played well in the U-18 Champs and for Gippy Power.

I am interested how he goes anyway

Why would a Forward have to go thru the Midfield?

He played well in the U-18 Champs and for Gippy Power.

I am interested how he goes anyway

karnesis can go thru the middle

That's an extra string to his bow that Membrey hasn't got

But it will be interesting to see how he goes

Karnezis is a taller and more skilled version. Membrey is slow, undersized and cant go through the midfeild.

Membrey is quick on the lead.

The primary issue with Membrey is he's a go to forward in a 189cm body. A midfield move isn't beyond him and his skillset and ground level ability at his size suggests it's possible. He's just continued playing primarily deep forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back