Collingwood VFL versus AFL Academy team Sat May 21 match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a replay of the game anywhere yet?
Last years academy game vs geelong vfl got uploaded on the afl youtube so assuming just have to wait for that.

Have you seen footage of Ashcroft prior to that? Looks an absolute gun. Nick Daicos level young gun.
Yup, Ive watched him in some dragons games. Absolute beast in the middle in the nab league, and from what I heard those vfl games he played. I just didn't think he was the best in this academy game.

Yup, Ive watched him in some dragons games. Absolute beast in the middle in the nab league, and from what I heard those vfl games he played. I just didn't think he was the best in this academy game.
Yeah I think Wardlaw stood out more breaking tackles etc. But Ashcroft to me looks so composed and skilled.

I didn’t notice Lemney at all in the 1st half. Did he play?

Yeah I think Wardlaw stood out more breaking tackles etc. But Ashcroft to me looks so composed and skilled.

He did. i admit, he was MIA for me too. But saw him in the huddle. Maybe it was a rotations thing, given all the talls they had. I saw Scully/Jefferson a lot more.

I watched the entire game and thought he hadn’t played 😳. To be fair it’s always hard just throwing a team together and expecting to play well.

Fin tends to take a half to get going, it happens nearly every game where he goes missing first half the kicks in, it’s actually very frustrating.
It takes a great deal of focus and want to play a 4 quarter game, the kid is lazy as you can get. Needs a real kick up the backside.

Fin tends to take a half to get going, it happens nearly every game where he goes missing first half the kicks in, it’s actually very frustrating.
The worrying thing is that it's the second half, when a bit of pace has usually gone out of the game.

Given your comments, it sounds as if it would be extremely useful to finish around 15th to 17th this year in terms of access to high draft picks. So in my view just play the kids for the remainder of 2022. Goodnight & good luck.
It's sounding more and more likely that it's going to be mids who go in the first few picks. If we want a tall, we may not need to finish really low.

It's sounding more and more likely that it's going to be mids who go in the first few picks. If we want a tall, we may not need to finish really low.

If we had pick 4 and degoey left would you pick a tall and a Tastsas or Wardlaw or Ashcroft with the other pick which should be 5 or double tall that low?

Would be a hard one imo, I'd probably look at tall and a Mid that low hen try for another tall if we can get another pick late first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we had pick 4 and degoey left would you pick a tall and a Tastsas or Wardlaw or Ashcroft with the other pick which should be 5 or double tall that low?

Would be a hard one imo, I'd probably look at tall and a Mid that low hen try for another tall if we can get another pick late first.
I'm the wrong person to ask, as I know nothing about these guys, except as the draft gets closer the mids seem to be shining brighter.

If you think there's a gap, I'd draft best available with those early picks. You just can't pick McCartin over Petracca.

I also think there's too much focus on past and current needs, when we should be looking at future needs when drafting 18 year olds. And projecting forward 4 years, contested mids are as a big a need as talls.

I think the later first round and second round picks are where you should be looking for needs.

Last edited:
I'm the wrong person to ask, as I know nothing about these guys, except as the draft gets closer the mids seem to be shining brighter.

If you think there's a gap, I'd draft best available with those early picks. You just can't pick McCartin over Petracca.

I also think there's too much focus on past and current needs, when we should be looking at future needs when drafting 18 year olds. And projecting forward 4 years, contested mids are as a big a need as talls.

I think the later first round and second round picks are where you should be looking for needs.
Nah not when it comes to KPF needs, must strike first round imo.

Agree you must assess the talent but all reports have the big guys up there with those mids.

Wardlaw wont last til pick 4. But he would be a beauty. I'm also a big fan of Tstatas, SO if we had pick 4 and 5, I'd go with him and then a tall. Or vice versa.

Nah not when it comes to KPF needs, must strike first round imo.

Agree you must assess the talent but all reports have the big guys up there with those mids.

I think having to take kpfs really early is a thing of the past. The JUH year aside, not many go top 5. And of those that do, even less justify top 5 when in the AFL, so I think the number taken early will continue to trend downwards.

Last edited:
He did. i admit, he was MIA for me too. But saw him in the huddle. Maybe it was a rotations thing, given all the talls they had. I saw Scully/Jefferson a lot more.
Jefferson and Cadman more impressive than Lemmey at this stage
National Champs will be interesting- he may slide if this continues

Whilst I somewhat agree, if we end up not drafting a KPF with our first pick I will ever so slightly throw up.

It’s simple numbers. Mids are easier to trade for than KPF. We need to draft one.

You should be right, it sounds flawless in theory. But interestingly, most top teams going back to the Cats have drafted their mids and had some traded in talls. Prestia is the only significant traded in premiership mid that I can think of (probably missed a few). Meanwhile with talls, Cats had Mooney and Ottens . Hawks had a range of tall backs and Gunston up forward. Tiges: Lynch. Melbourne May, Lever and Brown.

It’s simple numbers. Mids are easier to trade for than KPF. We need to draft one.

I get where you’re coming from, but I can assure you that the draft market is more efficient than you’re giving it credit for, and that the “KPP premium” is already mostly baked in to the draft capital you have to spend to get one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back