Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This off the AFL website on 'The Run Home':

7. North Melbourne
40 points (10 wins, seven losses) 107.2 per cent

The Kangaroos have taken care of business with four straight wins, picking up some important percentage along the way, and should get past the Demons and Saints in the next fortnight. But their finals fate hinges on their last three games and there is every chance the Richmond game in round 23 will be a case of 'win and get in, or lose and go home'. Expect Channel Seven to punt on that scenario and make it the Friday night game. The Freo clash two weeks earlier could be pivotal as well as the Kangas look to finally win a game against a team above them on the ladder.

The run home:
Rd 19: Melbourne at the MCG
Rd 20: St Kilda at Blundstone Arena
Rd 21: Fremantle at Etihad Stadium
Rd 22: Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium
Rd 23: Richmond at Etihad Stadium

West Coast? Richmond?

I saw that. How incompetent can you get?

Oh and I just remembered the best bit about the Sunday FS interview with Brad: someone asked him if Wellsy's season was a write-off and he said something along the lines of:

Definitely not! He had the operation so that he could play again this year and he's right on track.

I'm a believer.

I'd love to play poker against him, you could tell when he wasn't comfortable with a question, his eyes would go everwhere

Yes, it was very tense viewing wasn't it? They had a list of criticisms and they went through them one by one. You stuffed up here, you gave a dumb answer there, you failed to act here, you should have acted there.

Even at the end of the first session when Garry said "Gillon has agreed to come back after the break", he must have made a face or groaned and Garry said "well you said you would."

It was 4 on 1 and I almost felt sorry for him.

Yes, it was very tense viewing wasn't it? They had a list of criticisms and they went through them one by one. You stuffed up here, you gave a dumb answer there, you failed to act here, you should have acted there.

Even at the end of the first session when Garry said "Gillon has agreed to come back after the break", he must have made a face or groaned and Garry said "well you said you would."

Old Lloydy didn't add much, I actually forgot he was on the show.

Old Lloydy didn't add much, I actually forgot he was on the show.

Yes, he's OK on the footy stuff but usually comes off second best when he takes on Caro or Hutchy in the political stuff. Poor Gillon was probably hoping for a greater involvement from Lloydy or maybe for a power blackout in the middle of the interview so he could just sneak off.

Does anyone really enjoy footy anymore?
In a recent post, TT mentioned that umpires are trying to umpire with a million instructions in their heads and not on instinct. Its the same for players.
Up to 10 coaches in a side all applying their science and as a result, I hardly watch any neutral games now - coz there isn't much excitement.
Then the media, who most take themselves so seriously I don't know why they aren't chasing political or human rights jobs.
I felt for Gillan too. These guys spend so much time on the negative it is bewildering. Remember when Lou and Jack would talk up the game.

Too many men is suits for mine. Men in suits are killing a great game. Footy (on the field) IS serious BUT, it's still a game and should first and foremost, be enjoyable.

In a recent post, TT mentioned that umpires are trying to umpire with a million instructions in their heads and not on instinct. Its the same for players.
Up to 10 coaches in a side all applying their science and as a result, I hardly watch any neutral games now - coz there isn't much excitement.
Then the media, who most take themselves so seriously I don't know why they aren't chasing political or human rights jobs.
I felt for Gillan too. These guys spend so much time on the negative it is bewildering. Remember when Lou and Jack would talk up the game.

Too many men is suits for mine. Men in suits are killing a great game. Footy (on the field) IS serious BUT, it's still a game and should first and foremost, be enjoyable.

I used to love the anticipation of watching League Teams with the three blokes pumping up the games as I wait to see if Rossco will be fit to line up on the opposition's star CHF. Teams selected in positions and they'd actually play there all day, one v one, man v man and may the best man win.

The fan experience was so far removed from today also with all supporters able to rock up early and choose the best seats, save a few for friends and family who'd be arriving a little later, watch the reserves in action to see who's pressing for selection and how the kids are coming along.

We're an eon beyond those happy times now I'm afraid.

I used to love the anticipation of watching League Teams with the three blokes pumping up the games as I wait to see if Rossco will be fit to line up on the opposition's star CHF. Teams selected in positions and they'd actually play there all day, one v one, man v man and may the best man win.

The fan experience was so far removed from today also with all supporters able to rock up early and choose the best seats, save a few for friends and family who'd be arriving a little later, watch the reserves in action to see who's pressing for selection and how the kids are coming along.

LeBron-James-Smallest-Violin-Gif.gif

Boo f***ing hoo old man, don't you know it's all about the mighty $$$$$$ nowadays? Give me zones, frontal pressure, team defence, multiple interchanges, lower totals but better spread of goal kickers, DE % statistics, stoppages galore, no hands in the back rule, athletes over footballers and commentators who research little but make it all about themselves any day over that black and white then hooray for colour tv bullshit!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boo f***ing hoo old man, don't you know it's all about the mighty $$$$$$ nowadays? Give me zones, frontal pressure, team defence, multiple interchanges, lower totals but better spread of goal kickers, DE % statistics, stoppages galore, no hands in the back rule, athletes over footballers and commentators who research little but make it all about themselves any day over that black and white then hooray for colour tv bullshit!

Well done, you really owned that whinger. :thumbsu:

It's a business now.
The last business I worked for was not the size of the AFL, but still a 500M Aussie company and I can assure you that creating and fostering a positive and effervescent work place, along with good people, was an absolute key to its success. The AFL and media need to get their collective hand off it and focus on regaining our sports' joy and excitement, something we're proud to show our international guests (screamers, roosts, sheppards and guts) as the most exciting and unique game in the world. Just like us Aussies!!

bit of Zondor v Arthur action there TT

:sternlook

Well done, you really owned that whinger. :thumbsu:

Agreed, although personally if I was TT I wouldn't get too upset. Pretty sure the original post was from a known troll account anyway.

Yep exactly the same and well said!
Agree i actually feel for Gillan because the job he has taken on with all the Asada and everything else is only set up for failure...

Yep exactly the same and well said!
Agree i actually feel for Gillan because the job he has taken on with all the Asada and everything else is only set up for failure...

I can't stand the guy. I reckon he is a weasel to be honest but agree 100%. Was a bit of a Gillard / Rudd thing IMHO. Demetriou saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to overstay his welcome and tarnish his "legacy". Gillan may not think it's the best time but when certain jobs come up sometimes you just have to take it... the chance may not come again.

A bit like a senior coaching gig at Melbourne in their darkest days - if you want a senior gig you still put your hand up for it.

The video on the afl website bragging about how they found the footage to suspend Steve Johnson was actually embarrassing. The MRP spent 20 minutes looking at the footage that went to air, and were about to give up before one of the clowns decided it might be worth looking for other angles that didn't go to air. Apparently this is not normal procedure, and was so special it needed its own video to brag about it :rolleyes:

Seriously, if this is the way they're deciding who gets suspended and who doesn't, we may as well shut up shop right now. Surely the sole job of the MRP is to search for all possible angles of all incidents that are even remotely worth examining? Apparently not...

The video on the afl website bragging about how they found the footage to suspend Steve Johnson was actually embarrassing. The MRP spent 20 minutes looking at the footage that went to air, and were about to give up before one of the clowns decided it might be worth looking for other angles that didn't go to air. Apparently this is not normal procedure, and was so special it needed its own video to brag about it :rolleyes:

Seriously, if this is the way they're deciding who gets suspended and who doesn't, we may as well shut up shop right now. Surely the sole job of the MRP is to search for all possible angles of all incidents that are even remotely worth examining? Apparently not...

That was embarrassing indeed.. they hugged after the game which means no resentment whatsoever (read: let it go you idiots)

Meanwhile the belly whacker (behind play mind you) Gibbo keeps copping fines.. :rolleyes: what is it? three times already?

I know this is a little late but did anyone else hear Richo come up with a new word on Sat night. He combined "Aboriginal" and "Indiginous" to come up with "Abodiginous" I rewound it a few times to confirm.... Was one of the highlights for me.

Not sure if I did but let you know that Dipper got in DEEP water many moons ago whilst on their patch (clinic?) and referred to them as 'Abbos' which wasn't received too well. Good luck to Richo doing clinics in their communities and using his new language which I'm not sure if it's gonna offend some or allow Richo to explain himself. There is always gonna be THIN SKINNED people of any race.. that's a fact!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back