MRP / Trib. Cordy bump (how does Michael Christian still have a job?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Zaine Cordy has been sent straight to the Tribunal for an ungraded offence for his shepherd on Tanner Bruhn.

This is a simple case, Cordy was allowed to lay the shepherd. If he got him high, it's a straight 2 weeks. If he didn't get him high (which is what it looked like from the replays that I've seen - shoulder to shoulder) then he's free to play.
How can Christian not be able to make a decision? Surely the Tribunal doesn't get extra camera angles that the MRO doesn't?

Christian is utterly incompetent. He should have been sacked for charging Lewis Young with Forceful Front-on Contact in Round 7 when he clearly hadn't read the rule. How does he still have a job?

Last edited:
2 good points of reference for this one are Nick Holman's tackle on Mitch Duncan and Tom Hawkins tackle on Darragh Joyce.

Both asses as fair and reasonable tackles that left the player concussed. Both got no weeks (after appeal for Holman).
This is a fair and reasonable bump that left the player concussed. I think it'll be 0.

2 good points of reference for this one are Nick Holman's tackle on Mitch Duncan and Tom Hawkins tackle on Darragh Joyce.

Both asses as fair and reasonable tackles that left the player concussed. Both got no weeks (after appeal for Holman).
This is a fair and reasonable bump that left the player concussed. I think it'll be 0.
It's a pity Carlton didn't challenge the Hayes suspension a couple of weeks ago, also a fair tackle that resulted in 2 week suspension.

I don't see how Cordy doesn't get off (even if it means they have to go to appeal). But surely Christian can just make that decision without the tribunal?

It's a pity Carlton didn't challenge the Hayes suspension a couple of weeks ago, also a fair tackle that resulted in 2 week suspension.

I don't see how Cordy doesn't get off (even if it means they have to go to appeal). But surely Christian can just make that decision without the tribunal?
Wasn't a fair tackle that one. Debate around the suspension is valid, but the fact Menegola never took full possession and was dragged to the ground hurt Hayes.

Wasn't a fair tackle that one. Debate around the suspension is valid, but the fact Menegola never took full possession and was dragged to the ground hurt Hayes.
Ok, 'fair' might be the wrong word, given that Menegola didn't take proper possession so was holding-the-man.
But it wasn't a 'dangerous' tackle worthy of a suspension.

Christian has crapped himself after the Cripps debacle.

I haven't seen any footage of Cordy making head contact so unless there is another angle it's play on.

In this instance, it was entirely reasonable to expect a bump - in fact, the GWS player had plenty of time to brace for impact himself. I reckon any bump where the player can reasonably protect themselves should be play-on as long as no head high contact is made. Very different to a scenario where the player can't protect themself - I've got no issues with those bumps getting weeks.

What exactly are we defending at the tribunal?

The ground is on a concrete slab and the bump was within the allowed zone and not to the head.

I haven't seen any footage of Cordy making head contact so unless there is another angle it's play on.
That. Or, Christian has thrown his hands up like the rest of us and said "* it, even I have no idea what the rules are now, over to you guys".

Mind you, how he missed the oranges player snotting Cordy after the bump is mind boggling. Probably ignored it coz Cords didnt dive.

Don’t blame Christian. Brad Scott is the man who is responsible for all MRO final decisions. We have no way of knowing what Christian thought of this one. For all we know he wanted to dismiss it and Brad Scott has over-ruled him.

This incident should not have got past the cutting room floor. One thing I notice though as is often the case, Cordy’s bumping technique is unsound and dangerous. And this is what the AFL should be making clear to players. He should be bumping here with his hip leading, not his shoulder leading. It should be made clear to all AFL players leading with the hip is the only acceptable bumping technique.

The Sydney Stack bump on Viney is the best example I can easily think of. You can see here Sydney leads with his hip and removes all chance of a head clash or even head contact.

Don’t blame Christian. Brad Scott is the man who is responsible for all MRO final decisions. We have no way of knowing what Christian thought of this one. For all we know he wanted to dismiss it and Brad Scott has over-ruled him.
I don't disagree that Scott is also to blame, his defending of the Young charge when it was thrown out by the tribunal was disgraceful. But surely Christian takes responsibility?
If you're getting overruled like that, wouldn't you resign, and chuck Scott under the bus?

I don't disagree that Scott is also to blame, his defending of the Young charge when it was thrown out by the tribunal was disgraceful. But surely Christian takes responsibility?
If you're getting overruled like that, wouldn't you resign, and chuck Scott under the bus?

Scott is already under the bus, it is his decision. Christian accepted the role with Hocking and now Scott having the power to privately over-rule him. So it likely sits fine with Christian.

I am not defending Christian here just pointing out we can never be certain where he sits in any case. We always kniow Scott’s position for certain.

Scott is already under the bus, it is his decision. Christian accepted the role with Hocking and now Scott having the power to privately over-rule him. So it likely sits fine with Christian.

I am not defending Christian here just poining out we can never be certain where he sits in any case. We always kniow Scott’s position for certain.
Comes back to the original question, if Scott is making the decisions, how does Christian have a job?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zaine Cordy has been sent straight to the Tribunal for an ungraded offence for his shepherd on Tanner Bruhn.

This is a simple case, Cordy was allowed to lay the shepherd. If he got him high, it's a straight 2 weeks. If he didn't get him high (which is what it looked like from the replays that I've seen - shoulder to shoulder) then he's free to play.
How can Christian not be able to make a decision? Surely the Tribunal doesn't get extra camera angles that the MRO doesn't?

Christian is utterly incompetent. He should have been sacked for charging Lewis Young with Forceful Front-on Contact in Round 7 when he clearly hadn't read the rule. How does he still have a job?

Doesn't matter if he hit him high, isn't it where the damage was done?

ie. Bump a guy in the shoulder, but their head hits the ground and they get concussed - 2 weeks.

Isn't that precisely what happened with Ryder? Bumped, dude got whiplash, Ryder copped 2 weeks.

As soft as that sounds, I thought that was the rule?

ie. Bump a guy in the shoulder, but their head hits the ground and they get concussed - 2 weeks.

Isn't that precisely what happened with Ryder? Bumped, dude got whiplash, Ryder copped 2 weeks.

A big difference is (and I think Ryder should have gotten off) is the Ryder bump came after the ball was disposed of, whereas Cordy was laying a shepherd, within 5 meters of his teammate with the ball.
The rules are ridiculous if you're going to suspend a player for a fair, legal bump because the player then hits his head on the ground.

This incident should not have got past the cutting room floor. One thing I notice though as is often the case, Cordy’s bumping technique is unsound and dangerous. And this is what the AFL should be making clear to players. He should be bumping here with his hip leading, not his shoulder leading. It should be made clear to all AFL players leading with the hip is the only acceptable bumping technique.

The Sydney Stack bump on Viney is the best example I can easily think of. You can see here Sydney leads with his hip and removes all chance of a head clash or even head contact.

Exactly. Brad Scott signs off on MRO findings.

The AFL has lost the plot. They forgot to tell the Tribunal that Cripps bumped Ah Chee in the head so Cripps got off, and now we have a bump with no head contact going to the Tribunal with no charge.

Absolute clowns.

When Gil goes his replacement needs to send a bunch of others on their way too.

Hard to see where this one goes. Chose to bump, but kept his feet, body contact.

So duty of care seems to have been satisfied?

I can see why he referred it to the tribunal to deal with…

Tbf why should he bother when cases are going to be thrown out on legal technicalities just cause some ambulance chaser goes on a rant?

No, cause pickett got suspended when the player was completely fine because if the 'potential to cause injury from whiplash'. So presumably actual injury plays no part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back