Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re going to have a hard time finding a bigger fan of stand-up than me. They speak a lot of truth: Pryor, Carlin, Hicks, Chapelle and a thousand others. But I said don’t take ALL your geopolitical ideas from A comedian.

Didn't he do a set on "Relentless" and in the end he pretended that he got shot?

BTW he was the influence for one of my favourite comedians Denis Leary.

Tell you what, these press conferences are so much more pleasant and amiable than a White House briefing.

- PM fully supports advice of CMO
- PM doesn't cut in when CMO is asked an awkward question, or refute when CMO goes off message
- Journalists ask thoughtful questions, PM tries to provide a thoughtful response, civil discussion ensues
- No propaganda video showing how great the PM is played to journalists while PM is smug on the sidelines

They arent however their support of reopening wet markets is is odd to say the least.

In fact, going by your posting history (along with Bomberboyokay) I would have thought your moral values would be against such markets............obviously not when a leader of your political/ideological opposite states otherwise.

Your moral compass is so f’ed up I'm surprised you can make it to your front door.
Show me just one post I've made where I even mention China's wet markets. I reckon you'd struggle.

Our numbers seem really, really good, with every state (bar Tasmania with that cluster) having effective reproductive rates well below 1. Easing of restrictions now on the table if more promising data keeps coming in for the rest of the month. Best country in the world when it comes to detecting symptomatic cases (although I don't know what that data is based on or how it's measured) so a rollout of randomised testing of even asymptomatic people would squash the virus dead. As long as clusters are dealt with quickly and effectively, the exit strategy is on.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully it ain't an oncoming train.

I'd like to see us really ramp up the testing now, see what's going on in the community at large for the next few weeks and catch as many mild or asymptomatic cases as possible to give us a real chance of reducing the restrictions within our borders.

I'd like to see us really ramp up the testing now, see what's going on in the community at large for the next few weeks and catch as many mild or asymptomatic cases as possible to give us a real chance of reducing the restrictions within our borders.

Yep that's what the PM and CMO indicated just then in that press conference. There is an exit strategy now, and one of the three criteria before loosening restrictions is more widespread community testing.

Yep that's what the PM and CMO indicated just then in that press conference. There is an exit strategy now, and one of the three criteria before loosening restrictions is more widespread community testing.

I think our testing is way too low at the moment, I'd love to see 10,000 - 20,000 / day type levels, use drive-through stations in addition to those who report for testing based on their symptoms. Given this can grow in a localised pocket from only a single case, if we can get large portions of the population tested over the next couple of weeks we should start to have a very good chance of eradicating it.

I think our testing is way too low at the moment, I'd love to see 10,000 - 20,000 / day type levels, use drive-through stations in addition to those who report for testing based on their symptoms. Given this can grow in a localised pocket from only a single case, if we can get large portions of the population tested over the next couple of weeks we should start to have a very good chance of eradicating it.
Now that more and more people with symptoms can get tested if they want to it will be interesting to see how testing numbers go up and whether we get a sudden spike in new cases

What happened to that ‘doctor’ who was fear mongering on here a few weeks back saying Australia has no idea what it’s in for? Kept harping on about how he had predicted everything in the pandemic up until that moment. Is he still about?

Now that more and more people with symptoms can get tested if they want to it will be interesting to see how testing numbers go up and whether we get a sudden spike in new cases

Our testing numbers have been way too low this week, given we were up at 15,000 / day the other week, we've been now below 10,000 since Saturday, with three of those below 5,000.

Our numbers look promising, but testing numbers are far too low to say it's definite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our testing numbers have been way too low this week, given we were up at 15,000 / day the other week, we've been now below 10,000 since Saturday, with three of those below 5,000.

Our numbers look promising, but testing numbers are far too low to say it's definite.
Some of that would have been down to testing locations being closed over easter
Some is down to the fact that until they broaden criteria there are less people they can test
Then there would be a lag between the new rules and uptake

I know someone who got tested yesterday not that Victoria have opened it up, they have to wait two days for results. So probably by Saturday we should start seeing an uptick in testing numbers/results

Be interesting to see how much though

What happened to that ‘doctor’ who was fear mongering on here a few weeks back saying Australia has no idea what it’s in for? Kept harping on about how he had predicted everything in the pandemic up until that moment. Is he still about?

maryjames is the 'doctor'.

Some of that would have been down to testing locations being closed over easter
Some is down to the fact that until they broaden criteria there are less people they can test
Then there would be a lag between the new rules and uptake

I know someone who got tested yesterday not that Victoria have opened it up, they have to wait two days for results. So probably by Saturday we should start seeing an uptick in testing numbers/results

Be interesting to see how much though

Yeah I figured it was mostly due to Easter, hopefully we see them really ramp it up. If their plan is to return some level of normality and ease restrictions then large scale testing over the next couple of weeks is the key.

I’ve tried asking this a few times now, but does anyone know why NSW isn’t reporting recovery figures daily like all other states? They’ve reported them once. Plenty of people have asked on social media too and nobody is providing an answer. The number of active cases is more relevant than the total.

Victoria’s active cases is relatively small now, there is no way NSW has 1000 more active cases than them.
NSW Health reports active cases every day, in their daily media release. Here's today's. 207 patients are currently under care (either as inpatients or via HITH), 26 of whom are in ICU and 19 of whom are on ventilators.

No government is going to say "12-18 months everyone!". It'll be extended month by month to keep people in line.

NSW Health reports active cases every day, in their daily media release. Here's today's. 207 patients are currently under care (either as inpatients or via HITH), 26 of whom are in ICU and 19 of whom are on ventilators.
That's assuming all active cases are in hospital though.

If people have tested positive but have been mild they could be at home in quarantine. They might not have got around to retesting them all either which could explain the lag in recovery.

I'd hope that while they have room anyone who tests positive is kept in hospital to make sure they are quarantined properly but I'd not be surprised if that wasn't the case

No government is going to say "12-18 months everyone!". It'll be extended month by month to keep people in line.
There is no point saying we are locking you down for the next 12 months anyway when the situation is changing so frequently.

In this case they have said from the start that any measure they put in place they want to be able to sustain for 6 months so they haven't been talking short term at all.

That's assuming all active cases are in hospital though.

If people have tested positive but have been mild they could be at home in quarantine. They might not have got around to retesting them all either which could explain the lag in recovery.

I'd hope that while they have room anyone who tests positive is kept in hospital to make sure they are quarantined properly but I'd not be surprised if that wasn't the case
The figures include COVID-19 patients being treated under HITH (Hospital In The Home).

Tell you what, these press conferences are so much more pleasant and amiable than a White House briefing.

- PM fully supports advice of CMO
- PM doesn't cut in when CMO is asked an awkward question, or refute when CMO goes off message
- Journalists ask thoughtful questions, PM tries to provide a thoughtful response, civil discussion ensues
- No propaganda video showing how great the PM is played to journalists while PM is smug on the sidelines

Scomo often has a smug grin/smirk at press conferences, he doesn't pat himself on the back as much as Trump does though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back