Cox Plate 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not my favourite, but it's top 3 easy! This idea that we have to have everything run on big open tracks to suit horses who can't get around a bend is ridiculous, we have big races run on a number of different tracks to suit different horses. The honour roll of the Cox Plate is proof enough that the best horses will still win. How bloody boring would racing be if everything was run at Flemington. The courses in the UK with 4 or 5f straights bore me to ******* tears with the lack of tactics needed

No way, 2000m straight races? That sounds terrible. It's really exciting with the sprinters but I think I'd nod off over that far.

No way, 2000m straight races? That sounds terrible. It's really exciting with the sprinters but I think I'd nod off over that far.

newmarket%20track%20map.jpg

sorry dude i get sucked in sometimes , but isn't it strange that Big Footy has a punting board but not a Horse Racing board where we can discuss such matters.

do you love the Geelong synthetic track too? Maybe we should run group ones there as well. Moonee Valley has a different surface to Flemington and Caulfield and half the horses cannot handle it. Its not a fair comparison. Its got nothing to do with jockeys.
Aim for a mackinnon then and see if I care

Terrible call - I want a big open track so that the best horse has every possible chance to prove his or her dominance over his genetically inferior rivals.
So the ability to carry momentum around a turn when others cannot which is a genetic advantage should be scrubbed out because it doesn't suit the type of horses you want winning races? Is that what you're saying here?

Whobegotyou

Because the whole point of horse racing is the continual improvement of the thoroughbred breed. For that you need horses to race on the fairest track possible to prove which animals genes are truly the best. Moonee Valley does not allow this. In horse racing - the result is EVERYTHING.
I have followed donkey horses halfway around the country, its about so much more then the end result

Why all the hate for The Cleaner?? Yes on face value he is not the best horse in the race ( the best horse doesn't always win ) But he earned his spot by winning the qualifying races. Others had a chance to run in those races. Its a good thing for Tassie racing and if the wins the economy will lift cause everyone in Tassie seems to have a ticket with his name on it. Heard a radio interview with Chris Symonds this morning and he stated that if he had a pick of rides it would be The Cleaner and I think Chris would know more about horses than all us on bigfooty. Another good omen is one of the owners won a over $30000 this week on keno.

Interesting stat that i read today for all you Cleaner haters.

In The Cleaner's JRA Cup win, the time he ran that night would have been good enough to win 9 of the past 14 Cox Plates.

Keep on praying that he will be dropping out at the 600m mark, it aint goina happen.

Why all the hate for The Cleaner?? Yes on face value he is not the best horse in the race ( the best horse doesn't always win ) But he earned his spot by winning the qualifying races. Others had a chance to run in those races. Its a good thing for Tassie racing and if the wins the economy will lift cause everyone in Tassie seems to have a ticket with his name on it. Heard a radio interview with Chris Symonds this morning and he stated that if he had a pick of rides it would be The Cleaner and I think Chris would know more about horses than all us on bigfooty. Another good omen is one of the owners won a over $30000 this week on keno.

I liked your post until you mentioned a jockeys opinion as having value, they aren't picked for their brain power.

So the ability to carry momentum around a turn when others cannot which is a genetic advantage should be scrubbed out because it doesn't suit the type of horses you want winning races? Is that what you're saying here?

Whobegotyou

If the rules of racing allowed you to barge an inferior horse out of your way whenever you wanted then you would have a point. As they don't - this point is again invalid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that is what he really thinks there is a reason he hasn't ridden a Cox Plate winner yet. ;)

Terrible call - I want a big open track so that the best horse has every possible chance to prove his or her dominance over his genetically inferior rivals.
What is genetically superior?? Is it the value bred Rich Enuff with his racetrack superiority or is it one of War (???), Kuroshio, Albrecht who have done * all but bred in the purple? Is it bloodlines or racetrack ability?

If the rules of racing allowed you to barge an inferior horse out of your way whenever you wanted then you would have a point. As they don't - this point is again invalid.
So now gate speed is an irrelevant trait for a horse to have? While we are at it what other traits do we need to exclude bar being able to run 400m in a straight line?

A horse getting blocked for a run or one that drops too far back in the running and loses is NOT the best horse in the race, they are inferior because they are unable to get into the correct position when it matters and others can. I mentioned Whobegotyou who had a 7-4-0-2 record at MV with 2 of the 3 losses being to SYT in cox plates, how does he fit in your MV not giving backmarkers a chance theory?

A horse getting blocked for a run or one that drops too far back in the running and loses is NOT the best horse in the race, they are inferior because they are unable to get into the correct position when it matters and others can.

Totally disagree - especially at a track like the valley. Farcical statement.

So now gate speed is an irrelevant trait for a horse to have? While we are at it what other traits do we need to exclude bar being able to run 400m in a straight line?

A horse getting blocked for a run or one that drops too far back in the running and loses is NOT the best horse in the race, they are inferior because they are unable to get into the correct position when it matters and others can. I mentioned Whobegotyou who had a 7-4-0-2 record at MV with 2 of the 3 losses being to SYT in cox plates, how does he fit in your MV not giving backmarkers a chance theory?

Where did I say backmarkers don't get a chance at the Valley?

So what exactly are you saying other then doing anything you can to avoid answering any question that doesn't validate your theory?

That, on average, the Moonee Valley track does not give every horse the best possible chance at victory - and it is worse at this than most other tracks in the world.

That, on average, the Moonee Valley track does not give every horse the best possible chance at victory - and it is worse at this than most other tracks in the world.

Must agree, hate MV for punting. Surface hit and miss for so many horses, seems too be more ways than other tracks it's impossible to win. Momentum just plays too much of a role to be fair.

I disagree completely, winners can come from anywhere in the field on any day. If a leader gets a soft lead on any track the result doesn't change, they win. If you get caught behind horses anywhere it effects your race does it not? It looks worse at MV because jockeys look for the inside line to save going wide on the home turn where at any other track they would go wide and only 1 or 2 would try sneak through a gap.

The Valley is a track that takes the sting out of your legs between the 600-200m mark and generally the race is then over by the turn, it suits horses that don't have a limited burst but are more power runners who can maintain the rage for longer no different to flemington suiting big horses with unco running styles that take a year to wind up.

Most important of all you don't have to run there, there are plenty of other WFA Group 1's throughout the carnival and if it suits you feel free to call the winner of the new Sydney 4 million dollar race the best WFA stayer in the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.