Opinion Cripps, Parker and Davies - your time is nigh

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the criticism in the first 5 pages of this thread, you all seem to forget we have picked up an All Australian in each of the last 2 years from other clubs.
Ladhams wanted out and we were happy to say goodbye.
We are miles in front with Burton trade.
As much as Lienert is playing good football at Saints I am still not sure he would of got a game with us this week.
Still would love to know what happened with the Sinn pick but I back our recruiting team.
Us much as the Finlayson situation is not where you would want it to be at this moment, he did only cost a future third and he may come good as a forward.
Although I do think he is like all of our tall forwards and that is a third or fourth forward who plays best with an equivalent third or fourth defender.

Re flop trades, for whatever reason Rockliff arrived at Alberton with the muscle definition of a 15 year old and a spindly one at that, he never got to anywhere near the heights of his time at brisvegas, there were games when he was dropped to the Maggies where he looked like someone who had been pulled from the crowd to make up the numbers and he performed accordingly, and Motlop was the icing on the cake type small forward who could compliment a big strong team like geebung but was found out very quickly in our forward set up.

Re flop draft selections, 2 Dads copped plenty from all and sundry ( inc yours truly ) for his regular bomb scare moments, but in my humble opinion the player who had to be close to the biggest flop at an apparently highly valued draft pick was Steven Salopek who was over rated beyond belief, and apart from the occasional cameo when the team was well on top he was a complete and utter dud, particularly when Choco tried him in that infamous `quarterback' role.

Edit
as correctly pointed out be P4Life Rockliff and Motlop were free agents, not trades

Last edited:
Re flop trades, for whatever reason Rockliff arrived at Alberton with the muscle definition of a 15 year old and a spindly one at that, he never got to anywhere near the heights of his time at brisvegas, there were games when he was dropped to the Maggies where he looked like someone who had been pulled from the crowd to make up the numbers and he performed accordingly, and Motlop was the icing on the cake type small forward who could compliment a big strong team like geebung but was found out very quickly in our forward set up.

Re flop draft selections, 2 Dads copped plenty from all and sundry ( inc yours truly ) for his regular bomb scare moments, but in my humble opinion the player who had to be close to the biggest flop at an apparently highly valued draft pick was Steven Salopek who was over rated beyond belief, and apart from the occasional cameo when the team was well on top he was a complete and utter dud, particularly when Choco tried him in that infamous `quarterback' role.
Not sure they qualify as Trades as they were both Free Agents that cost us nothing.
Get your point though about them leaving their best football at their old clubs

If Koch is telling the truth that everything will be reviewed to the nth degree then these 3 have to be in the gun as much as anyone after Hinkley is axed.

We have 14 or 15 ******* HBFers and none of them are lock down defenders. How come we can't recruit a Wanganeen or Neville Jetta type brother who can lock down a Pickett or Bolton type brother??

We have shrimp KPDs who were badly exposed again by Lynch, Riewoldt and even Miller a few times.

Ruck recruiting and development has been pathetic for a decade or so.

Rob Snowdon I voted you onto the board to properly review the performance of these 3 as well as others in the footy department, not Koch and others who have NFI about high performance.

Unless I’m forgetting someone in between, we haven’t used a first round draft pick on a KPD since 2003 on Chaplin.

Close to 20 years and we haven’t come across even one KPD over that time we see requiring a first rounder. Not to mention we’ve had some terrible defences over that period.

To make it worse, we’ve only drafted Trengrove as a second rounder in 08 and Clurey as a second rounder in 12 to fill our KPD stocks early in the draft.

In 20 freaking years we have drafted 3 players in the first 2 rounds of the draft as KPD.

That is just disgusting. Imagine almost completely ignoring such a crucial part of the ground with top end talent. It’s been a shortfall forever and we refuse to address it.

Imagine not drafting a first round midfielder or forward in 20 years? It simply wouldn’t happen.

You just cannot rely on the rookie draft or trades to fill a key line on the ground. The fact it’s been over a 20 year period shows defence is obviously not highly regarded at the club.

According to Caroline Wilson, North Melb are having a crack at Chris Davies.

Out of everyone Kochie needs to be ousted. We need someone at the top who has no affiliation with anybody.

Davies will walk with Ken (but it won’t happen).

That’s why Davies has been quiet, maybe he’s stitched up already too?

Must be a lot going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's way too early to pull the trigger on whether Sinn will make the grade, particularly given his injury destroyed first season, but over the next few years he has to at the very least develop into a B+ plus midfielder, as we obviously gave up too much for him to get just another flanker.

Caro says this morning that Chris Davies has rejected Norths approach. He is also resistant to leave for another club as he’s invested in this program.
Does he mean he's invested in the football program that yields 15th place, or invested in the greyhound syndicate program which may yet yield wealth?

Kossie Pickett, Dougal Howard and Paddy Ryder for a wantaway Miles Bergman, an unfit Dylan Williams and a pick that got eaten up the Mead bid
Peter Ladhams, a first round pick and a second round pick for an injury crocked Josh Sinn who's barely played a game for three years

I think I'd rather CD stuck to the Penske file at this point.

Kossie Pickett, Dougal Howard and Paddy Ryder for a wantaway Miles Bergman, an unfit Dylan Williams and a pick that got eaten up the Mead bid
Peter Ladhams, a first round pick and a second round pick for an injury crocked Josh Sinn who's barely played a game for three years

I think I'd rather CD stuck to the Penske file at this point.
This is really telling. Our much vaunted drafting and list management made a mess of things between 2019-21. The 2019 draft especially is a disappointment given what we gave up to acquire our four top 25 draft picks and what they returned for us.

This is really telling. Our much vaunted drafting and list management made a mess of things between 2019-21. The 2019 draft especially is a disappointment given what we gave up to acquire our four top 25 draft picks and what they returned for us.

The list couldn't be too bad if we just made two prelims in a row. Granted there's obvious deficiencies that require attention.

I'll stand corrected but didn't we get Georgiadis and Bergmann from the 2029 draft? They'll both be A Graders in my view.

Bergs may leave but can't blame the recruiter on that given our record of retaining Victorian draftees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back