Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hows does the Ruck situation work next year? Does it stay Jacobs with Jenkins backing him up? Does Lowden get in? How does that impact the big forwards?
It's a very interesting question. Clearly Lowden won't replace sauce. Suggest Lowden will battle primarily with JJ for a look in at 2nd ruck/KPF.

Of course if sauce is injured then Lowden comes in to back up and we just get by sharing duties with JJ

It's a very interesting question. Clearly Lowden won't replace sauce. Suggest Lowden will battle primarily with JJ for a look in at 2nd ruck/KPF.

Of course if sauce is injured then Lowden comes in to back up and we just get by sharing duties with JJ
In Walsh's recent 5AA interview when talking about Cheney and Lowden he started to say he can see those guys pushing for selection from rd 1 but then stopped himself and clarified that maybe not Lowden so much as Cheney would be in that position. Based on that I don't think they have recruited Lowden with the intention of him playing alongside Tex/JJ or even pushing JJ out at this point so I don't think the ruck situation will change at all to start with.

However, I reckon the hope would be that Lowden performs well enough to give the selectors a debate about who of him and JJ to pick.

Previously Smack was considered better in the ruck but the gulf in fwd performance made it impossible for JJ to be tipped out depiste questionable ruck. If Lowden can close that fwd gap but offer more in the ruck then he could force JJ out, even if he isn't as good up forward as the balance of both duties could be better.

If JJ and LL play in the same team then IMO it will mean great things as will mean they are both performing at a very high level up forward to force this structure (or Tex is injured but lets not try think about returning to that scenario)

Brown Talia Cheney
Jaensch Hartigan Smith
McKay B.Crouch Hendo
Lynch Jenkins Douglas
Betts Walker Cameron

Jacobs Danger Sloane

Thommo, Kerridge, VB (Lyons, MCrouch, Grigg, Laird, wright...)

I think Cheney comes into the defence to provide that solid 3rd defensive option. Smith stays at Half back for that real rebound/drive but will no doubt also play up the ground (wing/mids) with players like Hendo, VB rotating back there. VB on bench but could easily replace Cheney/Jaensch depending on match-ups and if Walsh wants the rebound of Jaensch or the defensive ability of VB or if Smith pushes upfield and again prefer VB to hen do back there for extra defence.

Mids/Rucks speak for themselves.

Have McKay and Hendo on the wings as its clear Walsh will want real outside run and these guys if they have their potential maximised can offer that better than anyone we have. Personally don't see Hendo in our back 6 (at least not as well as Jaensch) under Walsh based on his comments about improving defense as he will prioritise that over rebound IMO- he may drop back as loose man though.

Fwds mostly picked themselves. Cameron as the last fwd pocket the hardest role to fill. Like what he offers and know he is highly rated here but he hasn't thrown away the key on locking that role. Having said that, we don't have a lot of small crumbing fwd options. Wright could go there as a defensive forward.

In Walsh's recent 5AA interview when talking about Cheney and Lowden he started to say he can see those guys pushing for selection from rd 1 but then stopped himself and clarified that maybe not Lowden so much as Cheney would be in that position. Based on that I don't think they have recruited Lowden with the intention of him playing alongside Tex/JJ or even pushing JJ out at this point so I don't think the ruck situation will change at all to start with.

However, I reckon the hope would be that Lowden performs well enough to give the selectors a debate about who of him and JJ to pick.

Previously Smack was considered better in the ruck but the gulf in fwd performance made it impossible for JJ to be tipped out depiste questionable ruck. If Lowden can close that fwd gap but offer more in the ruck then he could force JJ out, even if he isn't as good up forward as the balance of both duties could be better.

If JJ and LL play in the same team then IMO it will mean great things as will mean they are both performing at a very high level up forward to force this structure (or Tex is injured but lets not try think about returning to that scenario)

That scenario would mean that Pods is definitely out. Would Lynch keep his spot in this scenario? While he is a very hard worker and quite fit, he is not exactly quick or great at ground level.

That scenario would mean that Pods is definitely out. Would Lynch keep his spot in this scenario? While he is a very hard worker and quite fit, he is not exactly quick or great at ground level.
My point there isn't really relating to either of those guys (although Lynch is in the starting team regardless form one, JPod who knows but probably not), it was relating to what the purpose of Lowdens recruitment is and the vision for the best picked 22 based on that.

My point was simply that I don't think the structure is planned to be for Walker and JJ as key forwards and Lowden the fwd ruck. The plan still seems to be or JJ to be the back up ruck with Lowden npot in the team.

For the structure to become all 3 with Lowden as back up ruck and JJ perma forward it will be because the form of Lowden has forced his way into the team while at the same time JJ's form being strong enough not to make way for him.

Lowden could also push JJ out based on his own form or JJ's lack of form but again that leaves us with the same ruck structure as last year just replacing like for like

Brown, Talia, Cheney
Jaensch, Hartigan, Smith
Mackay, Dangerfield, Sloane
Douglas, Walker, Lynch
Betts, Jenkins, Lyons
Jacobs, Thompson, B.Crouch

Kerridge, Van Berlo, Henderson, M.Crouch

EMG - Cameron, Martin, Grigg, Wright, Laird

Brown, Talia, Cheney
Jaensch, Hartingan, VB
Sloane, Smith, Grigg
Kerridge, Walker, Cameron
Betts, Jenkins, Danger
Jacobs, B.Crouch, Lyons

Lynch, Douglas, M. Crouch, Hendo (Int)

Emg. Mackay, Wright, Laird, Thommo.

Brown - Is our best defender on small forwards. Has the ability to be more attacking (as he was a Norwood) but has been pushed out of his game, hopefully recover some of his flair.
Cheney - Can see him taking the 3rd tall defender role as there isn't much competition. Shaw could be good but his kick lets him down. Siggins i have hopes of for a 2nd/3rd tall defender role still.
Jaensch - flip of a coin between Laird and Jaensch but can't have all 3 small defenders.
Hartigan - Showed glimpses last year and hope another pre-season will see him take another step forward, can also see Siggins playing this role if continues developing.
VB - Gives them an older head around the back half and releases Smith to the mids.
Sloane - the kid loves to run and can take a grab. Put him on the wing and see him burn players out by running all day and taking those required marks on the wing. To be rotated with VB
Smith - so smooth and great vision, his kick will be invaluable moving forward. Can be rotated to the HBF as well.
Grigg - loved his work on the wing in 2013 and believe he has a spot there. His kick is damaging, he can run all day (not blindingly fast but the ball moves faster in the air) and his dancing around gives him time and attracts multiple opponents, freeing another player up.
Kerridge - we have seen his work in the forward half, ask a Kangaroo supporter. To be rotated through the mids.
Cameron - loved what he brought to the team. Ferocious and quick.
Danger - Can act as a 3rd tall forward and burn most 3rd tall defenders. Rotate through the midfield as well.
Lyons - Hoping for a big pre-season. He moves so well through traffic, reads the ball extremely well of hands and can release our great kicks. To rotate forward as can take a mark and kick a goal.
Hendo - as interchange as he can plug most holes and provide a spark with his running, marking and kicking late in the game when needed.

Mackay - doesn't provide his good game often enough.
Laird - Can't be played with Jaensch and Brown. If played one of those comes out.
Thommo. - love his work but no longer running defensively and can't be moved forward to impact the game (rotated in to give players rests)

The biggest issue which has been caused to our team is experience. We really lack some specific experience in good players in the forwards, mids and def. This is the team i would like to see progress forward.

My feelings about how the club will, not necessarily should, line up come round 1 at this stage:

AFL:
B: Cheney - Hartigan - Brown
HB: Jaensch - Talia - Shaw
C: Smith - Dangerfield - Mackay
HF: Lynch - Walker - Douglas
F: Betts - Jenkins - Cameron
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - Crouch
I: van Berlo - Thompson - Kerridge
S: Henderson
E: Grigg - Laird - M. Crouch

SANFL:
B: Kelly - Siggins - Laird
HB: Reilly - CHB - HBF
C: Knight - Grigg - Martin
HF: Callinan - Ellis-Yolman - Wright
F: Atkins - Podsiadly - Osborn
1R: Lowden - M. Crouch - Lyons
I: Int 1 - Int 2 - Int 3

I like name the reserves side as well, as it gives us an idea of where our depth lies and where our more immediate needs are moving into the draft. I think its quite clear that our depth through the midfield and smalls in general is extremely good, we could do with some more outside class/pace, but for the most part IMO we're fine, especially with inside mids. Where we are certainly lacking is in key position players. Podsiadly and to a lesser extent Lowden provide cover for Walker and Jenkins, however our cover for Talia and Hartigan is an untried 20 year old who hasn't looked close to getting a game previously, then nada.

So Jaensch gets the nod ahead of Laird for most here?

I think so. Although I am not too fussed if Jaensch is in or out.

I think the only 4 that have locked in positions in the back half are Talia, Hartigan, Brown and Smith. The other 2 will be between Hendo, Jaensch, VB, Laird and Cheney.

Will be a make or break year for Laird I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be a make or break year for Laird I think.
He killed it in 2013 as a BP then he was moved forward and he just fell off the map. Best footy is in the defensive 50. But he does have 3/4 guys who can play his spot so it will be a test for him in 2015 for sure.

Giving this another crack...
AFL team

B: Brown - Talia - Cheney
HB: Jaensch - Hartigan - Kelly/Draftee
C: Dangerfield - Lyons - Smith
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - Jenkins - Kerridge
Ruck: Jacobs - Sloane - B.Crouch
Int: M.Crouch - Lowden - Grigg
Sub: VB/Douglas

I've changed my mind on Cheney, I'm on the bandwagon that he'll play as the third tall. I think VB will be ready to go by round 1 and if he's the captain again he'll be in our 22 obviously but I reckon Walsh will play youth over the older blokes if they're around the same mark. Lowden should play with Sauce and Jenkins each week unless it's a real wet or windy day. Then both Crouch brothers, Lyons, Kerridge and Grigg need to all play at least 15 games together next year. Thompson can be there for depth, he was my favourite player for years but I just think he's time is up for us. Needs to move aside for the next generation and just play in the 2s unless of injuries. I'd like to see Kelly and whoever we pick at 14 to play above Henderson. I see this team being a little off the mark as far as top 4 goes but I definitely think we could beat any team on any day but consistency would be a problem still. My thoughts would be 5-8, if we don't make finals it's obviously a huge disappointment again but it could happen being one key defender down at this point in time.

SANFL team

B: Kelly/Draftee - Siggins - Laird
HB: Reilly - Shaw - Henderson
C: Mackay - Thompson - Atkins
HF: Knight - M.Brown - Martin
F: Callinan - Podsiadly - Osborn
RUCK: Baulderstone - Wright - VB/Douglas
Int: Ellis-Yolmen - Draftee - Draftee

If we were able to snare Brown I think he'd bring a lot of depth into our senior list and into the sanfl team. Before anyone jumps on me yes it's important for our 2s to succeed and play well together if we're moving forward as a club. Pods will play a similar role to Thompson but has to play behind Tex, Jenkins and even Lowden. That midfield would be miles above any other team in the sanfl so expect big scores with that forward line too, add a few draftee's to this team to develop throughout the year and we'll be looking a lot better as we role around to 2016. By then Pods, Thompson, Reilly, Martin, Ellis-Yolmen and Osborn will all be retired or moved on I assume.

Don't ignore this like most of you seem to also, would love some input and replies thanks.

Giving this another crack...
AFL team

HB: Jaensch - Hartigan - Kelly/Draftee
C: Dangerfield - Lyons - Smith
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - Jenkins - Kerridge
Ruck: Jacobs - Sloane - B.Crouch
Int: M.Crouch - Lowden - Grigg
Sub: VB/Douglas

I've changed my mind on Cheney, I'm on the bandwagon that he'll play as the third tall. I think VB will be ready to go by round 1 and if he's the captain again he'll be in our 22 obviously but I reckon Walsh will play youth over the older blokes if they're around the same mark. Lowden should play with Sauce and Jenkins each week unless it's a real wet or windy day. Then both Crouch brothers, Lyons, Kerridge and Grigg need to all play at least 15 games together next year. Thompson can be there for depth, he was my favourite player for years but I just think he's time is up for us. Needs to move aside for the next generation and just play in the 2s unless of injuries. I'd like to see Kelly and whoever we pick at 14 to play above Henderson. I see this team being a little off the mark as far as top 4 goes but I definitely think we could beat any team on any day but consistency would be a problem still. My thoughts would be 5-8, if we don't make finals it's obviously a huge disappointment again but it could happen being one key defender down at this point in time.

SANFL team

B: Kelly/Draftee - Siggins - Laird
HB: Reilly - Shaw - Henderson
C: Mackay - Thompson - Atkins
HF: Knight - M.Brown - Martin
F: Callinan - Podsiadly - Osborn
RUCK: Baulderstone - Wright - VB/Douglas
Int: Ellis-Yolmen - Draftee - Draftee

If we were able to snare Brown I think he'd bring a lot of depth into our senior list and into the sanfl team. Before anyone jumps on me yes it's important for our 2s to succeed and play well together if we're moving forward as a club. Pods will play a similar role to Thompson but has to play behind Tex, Jenkins and even Lowden. That midfield would be miles above any other team in the sanfl so expect big scores with that forward line too, add a few draftee's to this team to develop throughout the year and we'll be looking a lot better as we role around to 2016. By then Pods, Thompson, Reilly, Martin, Ellis-Yolmen and Osborn will all be retired or moved on I assume.

Don't ignore this like most of you seem to also, would love some input and replies thanks.
I like what you're trying to do, my side a few pages ago was similar.

For me, if you're going down this path, the glaring omission is Atkins. Can take that half back spot.

I don't think Lowden will play first up, but I like the thought. I'm hoping he will push.

I think Siggins might surprise too.

Otherwise good effort

Anyone know how Hartigan's injury is progressing and whether his pre season will be affected?

So Jaensch gets the nod ahead of Laird for most here?

Unfortunately it's between Brown, Laird and Jaensch for 3 spots. Both Brown and Laird are extremely defensive and don't provide a lot of rebound, Jaensch is much better on the rebound and his defensive work has improved a lot, still not perfect, but now good enough. It's as much about team balance as anything else.

There's no doubt there will be a clean slate policy with Walsh next year. Meet his standards, or forget about playing in the AFL team.

I reckon there will be some surprises in the first team picked, and we will then have a clearer picture of who is towing the Walsh line, and who is not.

There's no doubt there will be a clean slate policy with Walsh next year. Meet his standards, or forget about playing in the AFL team.

I reckon there will be some surprises in the first team picked, and we will then have a clearer picture of who is towing the Walsh line, and who is not.

yes indeed, walshy's non-negotiables might catch up with a few very quickly...
guessing - Hardness, Speed, Skill, Intensity, Selflessness, Durability - uncomfortable is coming.
might not have 22 available for round 1?

I'm surprised how many best 22s don't have Lyons in it. Didn't he say to the club that he wanted to be traded to another club where he would be a best 22 player? StKilda and Melbourne both showed interest, but after a conversation with Phil Walsh, he decided to re-sign with the Crows for two more years.

That says to me that he's been told he's been told that he can expect a lot more AFL action next year. Too good to stay in the SANFL IMO.

Afl Team

HB: Jeansch - Hartigan - Mackay
C: Smith - Vanberlo - Sloane
HF: Lynch - Walker - Dangerfield
F: Betts - Jenkins - Lyons
R: Jacobs - Crouch - Thomson
Int: Cameron - Kerridge - Crouch - Grigg - Henderson - Draftee - Draftee

B: Brown - Talia - Siggins/van Berlo (depending on height match-ups)

HB: Cheney - Hartigan - Jaensch

C: Smith - B Crouch - Sloane

HF: Lynch - Jenkins - Cameron

F: Betts - Walker - Lyons

1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Kerridge

I: M Crouch, Henderson, Douglas, Grigg

B: Brown - Talia - Siggins/van Berlo (depending on height match-ups)

HB: Cheney - Hartigan - Jaensch

C: Smith - B Crouch - Sloane

HF: Lynch - Jenkins - Cameron

F: Betts - Walker - Lyons

1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Kerridge

I: M Crouch, Henderson, Douglas, Grigg
Take out Hendo for Atkins and its a winner

Unfortunately it's between Brown, Laird and Jaensch for 3 spots. Both Brown and Laird are extremely defensive and don't provide a lot of rebound, Jaensch is much better on the rebound and his defensive work has improved a lot, still not perfect, but now good enough. It's as much about team balance as anything else.

Pretty much. Especially if Brodie Smith goes into the midfield. That takes a lot of drive and quality disposal away from the defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back