Toast CROWS get their man Don Pyke named Adelaide coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt they're buzzwords. His whole background is strategy and structure.

Preparation, structure and contribution to the gameplan are at the core of his philosophy.

Just look at what a shitty, undermanned west coast did with preparation, structure and an even commitment to the gameplan by bringing us the web.

And, personally, having just lost our most talented player and having a history of players just cruising in the shadows I'm happy to hear talk of an even commitment to the plan. I hope it's reflected at selection
I def agree here. I feel like pyke's game plan will not allow the Makays of our team to hide. They will not be tolerated as they will bring down the plan and structure.

I doubt they're buzzwords. His whole background is strategy and structure.

Preparation, structure and contribution to the gameplan are at the core of his philosophy.

Just look at what a shitty, undermanned west coast did with preparation, structure and an even commitment to the gameplan by bringing us the web.

And, personally, having just lost our most talented player and having a history of players just cruising in the shadows I'm happy to hear talk of an even commitment to the plan. I hope it's reflected at selection
Like you I'm pleased to hear pyke excels on the preparation side of things -being a top strategist was a key reason why I wanted him at afc.

It's not a bad thing to be compared to Craig in terms of his meticulous preparations. I'm sure pyke is well aware of Craig's main failing of stubbornness for a plan b on matchday being an assistant under him & hopefully will learn from Craig's mistakes.

In the 5aa interview, what I liked most was that Pyke said he would be responsible for teaching the leadership group.
I like the idea of the coach taking responsibility instead of farming it out to some consulting group.
It will be interesting to see the makeup of our leadership group next year.
Will Thommo & VB be in there or do they bring in the next set of leaders ?
I think Pyke is a good appointment, I hope he does well this year.

In the 5aa interview, what I liked most was that Pyke said he would be responsible for teaching the leadership group.
I like the idea of the coach taking responsibility instead of farming it out to some consulting group.
It will be interesting to see the makeup of our leadership group next year.
Will Thommo & VB be in there or do they bring in the next set of leaders ?
I think Pyke is a good appointment, I hope he does well this year.

Pyke impressed me with his interview. Given the traumatic events of this year, we need a coach who is mature, wise and experienced. He fits this mould and my initial impression of him is that he’s not one for the outlandish statements (Sando) or the epic rhetoric (Walshy).

Rowey’s persistent questioning about whether Pyke thinks we are top 4 is almost as childish as the filth bagging him on their forum. Just give him a chance.

I don’t think our list is top 4, but we are slowly building towards it. The big X factors of Seedsman, Menzel, Hamtpon and Gore will determine whether we play finals this year.

Pyke’s slow and steady approach is good. Let the media hype up the Pear.

...Let the media hype up the Pear.

They will as they do every year. It's always funny listening to Pear supporters huffing and puffing about how great they'll be 'Next Season'.
More bs words about this club than any other in history. One premiership in 18 years and that one a fluke says it all really.

They will as they do every year. It's always funny listening to Pear supporters huffing and puffing about how great they'll be 'Next Season'.
More bs words about this club than any other in history. One premiership in 18 years and that one a fluke says it all really.

That one premiership has this ** next to it.

When Port is brought up in this thread

p-Pk9MLBAzHcE9sxN9TuyOk7lFAtdkTRzGZghvqQCxltvP_ptsjeVokCG8TxW3fa2RWriH2ipy0LaBhjtfp9eLy-aymOlyycKTZRQxA6s1Q4szhsiJzTmcW7rzfvcfvj-c8eLG54aYiaS0JURCgiQ4H-_Nm8QbCoY9TDqUTM=w500-h210-nc

Last edited:
I actually like the fact that Pyke comes in with a slightly different pathway

All reports are that he has a really high football IQ however what I like is that he brings that Leadership experience gained from an Executive level role in a totally different industry

I have a lot of confidence in this appointment

I don't know what to expect but I won't be livid if we don't see immediate results. 2015 saw a set of unprecedented circumstances hit our club. They surprised us in response to it, and they may surprise us again, but I am not expecting Top 4 next year.

All reports are that he has a really high football IQ however what I like is that he brings that Leadership experience gained from an Executive level role in a totally different industry

To me it's like when a teacher gets experience doing the thing they're teaching beforehand. Compare that to kids that come out of uni and walk into a teaching job. They cannot have as great an understanding because they've not got the context to add any depth to the inevitable questions from those who are looking for a real world job at the end of it all.

I'm hoping we'll play finals. I will be somewhat disappointed if we don't, with who I hope is an intelligent head coach, a backline featuring Laird and Talia, a midfield featuring Sloane and B.Crouch, and of course that forward line. I think we can afford to be a little ambitious!

I'm hoping we'll play finals. I will be somewhat disappointed if we don't, with who I hope is an intelligent head coach, a backline featuring Laird and Talia, a midfield featuring Sloane and B.Crouch, and of course that forward line. I think we can afford to be a little ambitious!
Yes is an interesting 1. With the loss of a star player, tough draw, a new coach, settling in to a new game plan opposed to an improving player list, another year of experience for a relatively young side and some pacey inclusions. Whatever happens it will be a good ride

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I def agree here. I feel like pyke's game plan will not allow the Makays of our team to hide. They will not be tolerated as they will bring down the plan and structure.

How many times have we heard this before? Everytime a new coach comes in people say the same sort of things, that all our out of form seniors are going to finally be held accountable for their performance etc. Even Walshy who preached elite standards didn't have the heart to drop Van Berlo or Mackay. I think we may have to finally accept that we won't get another coach like Blight. Maybe it's just a sign that times have changed.

Maybe wrong thread but can someone help me out here

lessening of rotation cap v 4 full IC players
compared to 3 and a sub

Surely this cancels each other out to a degree , more time on ground between rotations but also more time on interchange as well ? I guess it means longer efforts but then longer rest

Was getting confused listening to Brett explain it and hopefully not sign of things to come

Maybe wrong thread but can someone help me out here

lessening of rotation cap v 4 full IC players
compared to 3 and a sub

Surely this cancels each other out to a degree , more time on ground between rotations but also more time on interchange as well ? I guess it means longer efforts but then longer rest

Was getting confused listening to Brett explain it and hopefully not sign of things to come

Pretty much, cap reduced by 25%, spaces on the bench increased by 33%.

I have always thought there are two types of head coaches.

1 tacticians. These guys see the game well and create styles of play that become synonymous with the team they coach. These guys are also generally great at organising the coaches box and Football Department to get the best out of all the staff there.

2. The Motivators. These guys main strength is motivating players to play to their best. But rely on others to formulate a game plan. At their worst they are glorified cheerleaders. At the their best they can make their players feel invincible and will do anything.

The best coaches have elements of both.

Tend to feel the best coaches share elements of both.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Is it better to scrape into the finals even if we're no chance of a flag, or finish lower and get better picks at the draft?

I guess if we think we're truly going to challenge soon the finals experience for our guys is way more important. I hope we don't have to bottom out and rebuild to get a sniff. Sick of being a middle of the road side.

Was so hopeful with Walsh and I said this time last year making the finals would count as a successful year. Been a bit flat about our chances ever since we lost him which is probably a bit silly. I think my enthusiasm will return when we get closer to 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back