Toast CROWS get their man Don Pyke named Adelaide coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I have always thought there are two types of head coaches.

1 tacticians. These guys see the game well and create styles of play that become synonymous with the team they coach. These guys are also generally great at organising the coaches box and Football Department to get the best out of all the staff there.

2. The Motivators. These guys main strength is motivating players to play to their best. But rely on others to formulate a game plan. At their worst they are glorified cheerleaders. At the their best they can make their players feel invincible and will do anything.

The best coaches have elements of both.

Tend to feel the best coaches share elements of both.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
I agree, though I believe the tactician element is more important - you can feel invincible, but that sense will be quickly shattered unless you have the skills and structure.

I have always thought there are two types of head coaches.

1 tacticians. These guys see the game well and create styles of play that become synonymous with the team they coach. These guys are also generally great at organising the coaches box and Football Department to get the best out of all the staff there.

2. The Motivators. These guys main strength is motivating players to play to their best. But rely on others to formulate a game plan. At their worst they are glorified cheerleaders. At the their best they can make their players feel invincible and will do anything.

The best coaches have elements of both.

Tend to feel the best coaches share elements of both.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
Then you have those that are neither.

You didn't seriously post that Cap?

Thats right up there with who else could have played on Franklin
no I'm merely suggesting that changing one negative for that game won't change the out come.

as for Franklin v massie well i could keep blaming Scott Thompson but it ain't getting me anywhere

no I'm merely suggesting that changing one negative for that game won't change the out come.

as for Franklin v massie well i could keep blaming Scott Thompson but it ain't getting me anywhere
I've tried to erase that game from memory but it was Thommo who kicked the ball out wasn't it.

I've tried to erase that game from memory but it was Thommo who kicked the ball out wasn't it.
Yeah and it was also Burton who didn't fill the whole in front of Franklin. They are one off poor decisions, Massie on Franklin was a poor decision that lasted the whole game.

I went to that game and by the end of it was blind and angry, I ended up talking to Nigel Smart at the end of the game and went to town on that match up. He asked me who I would have played on him, my first suggestion was Scott Stevens. Smart shocked me when he said but he's an ordinary footballer, I said why did we pick him then? My next suggestion was Bock, he agreed we could have tried that. By the end of it we were having photos with the rest of board watching on who were waiting for a lift. I think Bill Sanders is still in shock with my initial outburst.

Yeah and it was also Burton who didn't fill the whole in front of Franklin. They are one off poor decisions, Massie on Franklin was a poor decision that lasted the whole game.

I went to that game and by the end of it was blind and angry, I ended up talking to Nigel Smart at the end of the game and went to town on that match up. He asked me who I would have played on him, my first suggestion was Scott Stevens. Smart shocked me when he said but he's an ordinary footballer, I said why did we pick him then? My next suggestion was Bock, he agreed we could have tried that. By the end of it we were having photos with the rest of board watching on who were waiting for a lift. I think Bill Sanders is still in shock with my initial outburst.

Could I suggest that Massie was also an ordinary footballer.

Bock just had to play in buddy - as a minimum should have been moved on to buddy when he clearly has massie's measure.

Will go down as one of the worst match day decisions or non decisions in Afc history & summed up Craig's main failure as a coach.

Could I suggest that Massie was also an ordinary footballer.
Good ordinary type.

He was a handy flanker who was never meant to be a kpp in a key final.

Bock just had to play in buddy - as a minimum should have been moved on to buddy when he clearly has massie's measure.

Will go down as one of the worst match day decisions or non decisions in Afc history & summed up Craig's main failure as a coach.

What I find ironic is that the decision to go with that match up on the cool, moist and windy evening a few weeks before was pretty good. I can understand giving Massie first crack, but surely it must have been expected that the significantly different conditions inside Telstra Dome would likely yield a significantly different result. It's crazy that it lasted all day. Sheer lunacy.

What I find ironic is that the decision to go with that match up on the cool, moist and windy evening a few weeks before was pretty good. I can understand giving Massie first crack, but surely it must have been expected that the significantly different conditions inside Telstra Dome would likely yield a significantly different result. It's crazy that it lasted all day. Sheer lunacy.
Sheer craigy stubbornness!

My heart sank as soon as I saw the match up, and I just became more and more dismayed as the day went on. Bock was the obvious matchup at the time and this was only vindicated when he successfully curtailed Franklin on multiple subsequent encounters.

Massie actually did pretty well considering how tough a match up Franklin was.
Massive beat Franklin earlier that year or sometime in recent history in a game in Adelaide. Thing is that night was a wet/greasy night and it nullified the making dominance buddy could have with his size advantage so Massie was a good option for the ground ball/mobility side of things.

That night is really where we lost the final. Craig looked as it as Massie having proven himself as the guy who could get the job done but the change in conditions meant it wasn't the same ball game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People often forget that Roughhead also destroyed Truck that game (and should have put them in front earlier but missed a gimmie).

Strange, that your cage has been rattled tonight.

Back on topic.........

getting the feeling Don's Total Footy will be lock down & intercept, switch, run, slice and dice...
yep, the imagination is starting to piece together how we might look next year.

we've drastically changed the look and feel of our midfield, its pretty exciting, but could go boom or bust.

I always thought looking at west coast they have an A grade forward line, B grade back line and C grade midfield, that they would get found out by teams with an A or B midfield.

Looking at our trade and draft picks, we've loaded up our forward and back lines even more without really adding to our midfield power, perhaps the west coast thinking that Pike has brought from the eagles is that midfields are overrated when you play full team defense?

yep, the imagination is starting to piece together how we might look next year.

we've drastically changed the look and feel of our midfield, its pretty exciting, but could go boom or bust.

I like how we are starting to get a list of skilled footballers together. Our footy IQ has taken a massive leap forward in the last couple of seasons... gonna be very interesting to see if the loss of Dangerfield's ball hogging ability impacts... i hope we can get our hands on it and reckon we'll be bloody dangerous once we do... we'll hit the scoreboard hard i reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back