CTP19 2014 Phanton Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that if no club that had a pick before Collingwood's first pick made a bid Collingwood could get him with their last pick regardless, is that still the case?

pick has to be matched if a bid is made, no matter what the round, only way you can lock them in with your last selection is if all the clubs rate him as not being up to scratch for the national draft at all

As for Matera, he is a quick inside mid who would be sitting around 180cm. From what I've seen he has great disposal and is quite composed. He would probably cost a second or third rounder as there seems to be a really great mix for the 2015 draft. I recall he made the AA team for u15 nationals in 2012. He would have been close to selection in the u16 carnival I assume however he was injured in the lead up to final selection, well that's what I've been told, so he missed out. He plays for East Sandringham in the SMJFL, so that would mean he would play his TAC cup with the Sandringham Dragons - who haven't yet released their preseason squad so I am assuming they will not release it considering almost all clubs have now done so. He also attends Brighton Grammar which will mean he will play less TAC cup because of school football - he has played senior firsts alongside the likes ofJosh Kelly and Christian Salem since last year when he was in year 9 which is pretty impressive! I will let you know when any cuts to the squads get released.

Matera was 182cm as of April of this year and he is still 2 years away from being drafted. I heard he is rated more highly than Waterman.

1 - GWS
Clem Smith (WA - Peel Thunder)
Position: Small Defender
H: 177cm W: 76kg
DOB: 3/2/1996
Smith is known for his lightening pace when he bolts out of defence with the ball. He really is a 90 metre player, being able to run and carry then deliver the ball 50 odd metres down the line. For his size, Smith is very a powerful unit.

Smith is from Perth football club BTW. He's got great acceleration and amazing lateral movement but as a ball carrier he's not in the top class. His cruising speed would be considered good but nothing like a Dangerfield, S.Hill or C.Yarran.

His long kicking is really good and he gets great trajectory on the ball, but he's prone to some serious shanks on some of his shorter kicks. Not enough to question his reliability but it's noticeable.

His aerial ability for his size and his toughness for his size are the things that stand out for me.

Thnx for the update on Matera. Probably too early to put a draft range on him.

Smith is from Perth football club BTW. He's got great acceleration and amazing lateral movement but as a ball carrier he's not in the top class. His cruising speed would be considered good but nothing like a Dangerfield, S.Hill or C.Yarran.

His long kicking is really good and he gets great trajectory on the ball, but he's prone to some serious shanks on some of his shorter kicks. Not enough to question his reliability but it's noticeable.

His aerial ability for his size and his toughness for his size are the things that stand out for me.

Thnx for the update on Matera. Probably too early to put a draft range on him.

Cheers for the extra info mate, coming from vic I generally don't see interstate games live or in full!

Just updated the OP with a minor edit, I think I will get my second round up by as early as the end of the week.

Just updated to add the second round - remember if anyone has questions I am more than happy to help!

Brad Walsh late in the second round would be a good get at this stage even if he might stay at that ranking through to the draft. He didn't have the best champs but he's not the type that would because he really requires a bigger role given his playing style. Plateaued a little this year but he's playing in a poor side at Colts level it's not a massive surprise. Kevin Sheehan Medalist from 2012.

Jermaine Miller Lewis is exciting but he's had poor production and played far too deep at Souths at stages. I'd refrain from placing him ahead of a host of WA boys you've not included on the back of his U16's form. One thing i do like about him is that he's a tough player, so while he shares a lot of similarities to Chris Yarran (2011) in terms of position and playing style he's got that little bit more physicality to his game.

Tyler Keitel is really struggling for traction on this board.

Hi ctp19, if Hammelmann wasn't a part of the lions academy where do you think he'll go in next year's draft?

Hammelmann would go around mid first round to early second so you'll be getting him for either end of his market value either way if you're forced to use your first or second rounder on him.

Cordy is definitely shaping as the better of the pair. He does need to put on a fair bit of weight/muscle and fill out a bit, however that's no different to his brother or most other taller prospects. He plays predominantly half back flank - while he is 191cm, he is still a bit too short to play a key post. He doesn't really rack up that much disposal and really needs to put on the muscle before he can impose himself on the contests. I think he will be developed into a swingman, he is very athletic for his size and he would probably cost a third or fourth rounder - more likely third.

Wallis seems to be more a late/rookie selection unless he comes along in leaps and bounds this season. He didn't make a TAC cup squad as an underager although in his defence, Calder cannons did have very strong underage talents on their list in 2013. If he does make the squad in 2014, he will be playing a fair amount of APS for St Kevins.

Cordy is definitely shaping as the better of the pair. He does need to put on a fair bit of weight/muscle and fill out a bit, however that's no different to his brother or most other taller prospects. He plays predominantly half back flank - while he is 191cm, he is still a bit too short to play a key post. He doesn't really rack up that much disposal and really needs to put on the muscle before he can impose himself on the contests. I think he will be developed into a swingman, he is very athletic for his size and he would probably cost a third or fourth rounder - more likely third.

Wallis seems to be more a late/rookie selection unless he comes along in leaps and bounds this season. He didn't make a TAC cup squad as an underager although in his defence, Calder cannons did have very strong underage talents on their list in 2013. If he does make the squad in 2014, he will be playing a fair amount of APS for St Kevins.
Thanks for that, a bit disappointing seeing as they were rated as the better brothers a few years back, although they both are types that we need so thats alright and who knows they might come on a bit next year :)

Cheers again

I know this is all about the 2014 draft but have you got a read on Josh Dunkley (F/S) for 2015? we have an AIS/AFL graduate coming out that year aswell - Callum Mills... from memory. Possibly our first two rounds will be decided for us? Just thinking it might affect how we play the 2014 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is all about the 2014 draft but have you got a read on Josh Dunkley (F/S) for 2015? we have an AIS/AFL graduate coming out that year aswell - Callum Mills... from memory. Possibly our first two rounds will be decided for us? Just thinking it might affect how we play the 2014 draft.

Dunkley - who is a forward, is also an AIS-AFL member, he was in the Vic Country u16 side this year from memory and was one of their better players. He has played seniors for Sale in the Gippsland league since he was 15, managing numerous best on grounds and mentions in the best players in his two seasons playing seniors thus far and this year was the runner up in the club's B&F. He would in my mind almost be a lock for an underage spot on the Gippsland Power list next season.

Mills - a tough goal kicking midfielder and an AIS-AFL member, has really great potential and he was the MVP for the NSW Rams at the u16s this year and was awarded the best player in division 2. He has great leadership and was also the captain of the Rams u16s.

In my opinion, the pair would go first round if they weren't father son / academy selections and the 2015 draft were to be held today. So yes, I believe they would force you to use your first two selections.

Thanks for your second round. Do you think Heeney is a better prospect than Perris, who I rate very highly - as a Sydney type.

Heeney is more flexible than Perris in my opinion - he can play inside and outside mid very well, whereas Perris is more inside dominant. Heeney may be quicker than Perris however, Perris has a better footy brain and is a natural leader.
I would have had Perris in the second round of this years draft so ultimately they rank around the same. It really just depends on whether Heeney can continue to evolve as a player. I suppose Heeney has the edge in how he can be used, but Perris has the edge on the mental side of the game.

It's difficult to see the Suns passing on Lach Weller, even if they have a high pick at 4 or 5. I honestly think they will pull the trigger and select Lach at that pick even if it's considered reaching a bit. Him being a Suns Academy boy will do a lot for the local talent.

Based on the amount of effort and time they have put into him, and will put into him over this Summer, it's fairly clear that they are very keen on him. The club got special permission from the AFL to allow Lach to train with the club 4-5 days a week over pre-season.

It's difficult to see the Suns passing on Lach Weller, even if they have a high pick at 4 or 5. I honestly think they will pull the trigger and select Lach at that pick even if it's considered reaching a bit. Him being a Suns Academy boy will do a lot for the local talent.

Based on the amount of effort and time they have put into him, and will put into him over this Summer, it's fairly clear that they are very keen on him. The club got special permission from the AFL to allow Lach to train with the club 4-5 days a week over pre-season.

Chances of another club picking him first? I can't see us having as high as pick 5 next season.

Chances of another club picking him first? I can't see us having as high as pick 5 next season.

He would have to have a seriously good year to be genuine top 5-7 calibre I would have thought. At the moment I'd put him more in the teens when you consider the sort of KP talent on offer this year and how rare they are. Other clubs would be looking to get them ahead of a guy like Lach.

That said, who knows? He is doing all the right things, and his training with the Suns over pre-season will give him a huge base. He could for all I know have a monster year and force clubs to pick him that high.

Really depends on needs of the other clubs. A club from pick 6 onwards would probably take him, however, if GC have a pick before then, I wouldn't put it past them to select him. Personally I rate him at around 5-8 at this stage.

I was wondering if you had heard anything about Lukas Webb he hasn't been mentioned much in any of the prospects for next year but I think he was in the country squad underage and I am pretty sure he played a game as well.

I was wondering if you had heard anything about Lukas Webb he hasn't been mentioned much in any of the prospects for next year but I think he was in the country squad underage and I am pretty sure he played a game as well.

Yep I have, Webb is a talented medium midfielder who can also push forward and kick goals. He can rack up the possessions and he has great hands - almost always glueing contested marks. At this stage I see him going from mid third to fifth rounds in the draft, although I would not be surprised what so ever to see him bolt as he is relatively unknown at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back