List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

We were bloody desperate for someone to commit at that stage when swallow signed on long term. No doubt he's not worth that but he's had a pretty good year. Wouldn't take stats as everything either because we play a low possession game, we don't throw the ball around in the middle of the ground like some other teams do which makes their stats look alot better. Touks 30 is like 40 in some teams.

No offence to Dave swallow.
But to be have the 22nd highest paid contract in 2022 at over 800k

To be averaging 19touches a game…

Fck me Gold Coast.

No wonder are list is stuffed.

Selwood and Cam Guthrie on supposably 500-650k

View attachment 1479573View attachment 1479574
Witts & Swallow both got something near the 800k long term loyalty contracts.

Witts was 800k few years back so not sure if they front ended witts and back ended dave

Witts & Swallow both got something near the 800k long term loyalty contracts.

Witts was 800k few years back so not sure if they front ended witts and back ended dave
Loyalty goes both ways.

When Dave signed his new contract.. most people thought he was finished and banged up.

He has come out with more fire in the belly this year…
but still over paying people by 200-300k per year is inexcusable

And makes it almost impossible to bring any new mature talent into the club

Loyalty goes both ways.

When Dave signed his new contract.. most people thought he was finished and banged up.

He has come out with more fire in the belly this year…
but still over paying people by 200-300k per year is inexcusable

And makes it almost impossible to bring any new mature talent into the club
All these salaries are speculations by Herald (Ralph and others). It could be spot on, it could be rubbish. How would they know? Just guessing. I am sure David, his manager or club would not tell them. It could be back loaded.

Dave deserves every cent imo. One of the major drivers for changing the culture when we looked cooked at the end of Eade/start of Dew era.

What I’m trying to say.. I think..
All this adds up.

Dave on a extra 200-300k per year
Fiorini on 500-600k in VFL
Atkins on 450-500k in VFL

That’s close to if not over a million dollars per year going out due to incompetence from just 3 contracts..

That’s a jeremy Cameron or a Tim Taranto for free

God knows what else they got going on..
Luckily enough eventually they dumped Wright and brodie

But jeez.

Not going to win a premiership handing out ridiculous contracts to average players.

All these salaries are speculations by Herald (Ralph and others). It could be spot on, it could be rubbish. How would they know? Just guessing. I am sure David, his manager or club would not tell them. It could be back loaded.
Because of Covid a lot of contracts are currently back loaded to make up for short payments. So I wouldn't take too much from the 'Rich List'.

Another thing, when we signed Dave up we had just lost Tom Lynch and traded Steven May, so we were pretty desperate to lock in the captains of the club and no doubt Dave would've had suitors for his services around that time.

Geelong are able to pay their players less because of their location, being in a "small" town around 1 hour from Melbourne is the perfect footy environment. It's basically country footy and that appeals to a lot of players who want to live smaller lives outside the city.

Fiorini on 500-600k in VFL
Brayden signed up at the end of 2019 after he played 21 games and was seen as a staple of our future (he was also in the leadership group at the time). He just lost his spot due to the emergence of Rowell and Anderson as well as signing Greenwood.

It's the same as Darcy MacPherson who we signed up after his 3rd place bnf finish, just unfortunate timing of it all.

I agree with Rory, good idea at the time for some more experience around the midfield, but 2 years would've been enough, now where stuck with a bad contract know one will take.

Levi Casboult is set to sign a 1 year deal according to Cal Twomey.

Noz-1920-x-1080.png

I AM ERECT!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does the spreadsheet say 2023? Mods do your ******* job!!

Edit: Really hard to type around this giant erection

I don't want to reflect on this and cringe in 2 years time but possibly the most seminal moment in Suns history
A player odds on to win a Brownlow and be an AFLPA / Coaches player of the year at some point
5 years is basically a Sun for life
I really have to sit down for a while
When have we ever gone into a season without contract issues hanging over our heads

Everyone asleep this morning or something…

When that skinny whippet arrived grinning like a kid who's been told he's getting 2 birthdays and a couple of Christmases in a year I thought FFS-another skinny outside half back
Whoever at the Club was responsible for identifying Claremont and the Eagles attempted subterfuge back in 2017 and picking him up at 19 earnt their bonus and more that year

When that skinny whippet arrived grinning like a kid who's been told he's getting 2 birthdays and a couple of Christmases in a year I thought FFS-another skinny outside half back
Whoever at the Club was responsible for identifying Claremont and the Eagles attempted subterfuge back in 2017 and picking him up at 19 earnt their bonus and more that year
Also, don't forget that Powell was recruited as a direct result of the Ablett trade. The Cats received pick 19 as compensation for Motlop, traded it to us for Ablett and we used it to draft Powell. Probably fair to say we made the most of that trade for an injury prone Ablett who was turning 34 and it's entirely possible that Powell will become one of the true legends of our club from here. Bit like the Weller (+ Ballard) trade that looks better with time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back