List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Of those guys mentioned, only a few are going to command any sort of decent salary on contract renewals. Heck, several of them may not even be on the list.

I doubt we would offer Gary that much if it means we're going to lose a host of youngsters. That's never been the policy. It will be balanced with various back end of front ended deals.

Of those guys mentioned, only a few are going to command any sort of decent salary on contract renewals. Heck, several of them may not even be on the list.

I doubt we would offer Gary that much if it means we're going to lose a host of youngsters. That's never been the policy. It will be balanced with various back end of front ended deals.
They were going to throw decent money at Tippett which would have made things difficult down the track.

I'd be more worried about losing some players in 2016 though. O'Meara, Sexton, Prestia, Day, Lynch, Leslie, Nicholls, Stanley, Kolodjashnij, Wright, Lemmens, Garlett and Miller. It's looking more and more likely that the AFLPA will get their wish of restricted free agency being available after 6 years as opposed to the current 8. That means Prestia, Day, Lynch, Nicholls and Stanley would all be RFAs at the end of 2016 and they'll be entering their peak. You've got a little over a million tied up in a guy about to turn 33 and in all likelihood big money will be thrown at some of those RFAs. It's going to be hard to manage.

The salary cap in 2016 will be $10.3m. Let's say Gaz is getting about $1.1m in 2016, that leaves $9.2m for the other 37 senior listed players.

These types of stories just never end!!

"Jaeger O’Meara, Harley Bennell, David Swallow, Brandon Matera and Jack Martin at the Suns as well as Stephen Coniglio with Greater Western Sydney are all expected to be headhunted to return home."

Of those SUNS players, the only one I could see returning home is Matera - and that's only a very slight chance imo. The others will be SUNS for life (fingers crossed :p)

These types of stories just never end!!

"Jaeger O’Meara, Harley Bennell, David Swallow, Brandon Matera and Jack Martin at the Suns as well as Stephen Coniglio with Greater Western Sydney are all expected to be headhunted to return home."

Of those SUNS players, the only one I could see returning home is Matera - and that's only a very slight chance imo. The others will be SUNS for life (fingers crossed :p)

This is the problem all AFL clubs have to deal with in the modern era.

On one hand a player gets to go "home" on possibly more money and an extended contract compared to staying at the club they have made good mates and in the GCS instance, a real chance to win a flag in 2017 and beyond.

On one hand a player gets to go "home" on possibly more money and an extended contract compared to staying at the club they have made good mates and in the GCS instance, a real chance to win a flag in 2017 and beyond.
I agree man. The Suns guys have developed a very close friendship with real prospects of an extended period of success. Every single player we have on our roster has helped built the club to what it is today, all with never having made finals. I can't see someone throwing that away when they've struggled to finally get to where the club is today.

I dont believe anything anyone says..
Or believe in contracts anymore.
Just look at Tom boyd and Ryan Griffen
Captain of his own club wanted out.. Even after spending 10+ yrs there and all his best mates would of still been at the club.. Yet still he wanted out
Everyone is just a number.. And can be bought for the right pick or money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Landscape is changing , the good position we are in if one of our stars are squeezed out we wont be punished by FA just yet.
It's only a matter of time (3 years at this point) and you better believe every team is licking their lips at the prospect of who might become available from the Gold Coast and/or GWS. The AFL Player's Association is pushing hard to change the rules from 8 to 6 years for free agency which would mean SUNS players enter the FA market in 2016. I think I previously worked out that Prestia, Day, Lynch and Nicholls would all be in the first class of free agents for the SUNS. From there it only gets worse and harder to keep everyone under the salary cap.

Having said that, everyone thought there would be an exodus/raid from opposition clubs in the Gold Coast's first 3-4 years. That didn't eventuate which is a testament to the SUNS but you only have to look at the revolving door that is GWS to see how hard it can be to retain players. Salary cap management is absolutely crucial to the club's quest for a flag over the next 5 or so years and one bad move could cost them dearly. Clayton and co. seem to know what they're doing so I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

It's only a matter of time (3 years at this point) and you better believe every team is licking their lips at the prospect of who might become available from the Gold Coast and/or GWS. The AFL Player's Association is pushing hard to change the rules from 8 to 6 years for free agency which would mean SUNS players enter the FA market in 2016. I think I previously worked out that Prestia, Day, Lynch and Nicholls would all be in the first class of free agents for the SUNS. From there it only gets worse and harder to keep everyone under the salary cap.

Having said that, everyone thought there would be an exodus/raid from opposition clubs in the Gold Coast's first 3-4 years. That didn't eventuate which is a testament to the SUNS but you only have to look at the revolving door that is GWS to see how hard it can be to retain players. Salary cap management is absolutely crucial to the club's quest for a flag over the next 5 or so years and one bad move could cost them dearly. Clayton and co. seem to know what they're doing so I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

3 years is a helleva long time in footy , i dare say we will be top 4 material by then , which would require a big money( Franklin) offer to squeeze one of our players out , but your right Clayton ig going to have his work cut out in coming years.

I dont believe anything anyone says..
Or believe in contracts anymore.
Just look at Tom boyd and Ryan Griffen
Captain of his own club wanted out.. Even after spending 10+ yrs there and all his best mates would of still been at the club.. Yet still he wanted out
Everyone is just a number.. And can be bought for the right pick or money.
ryan griffen. only recently made captain. been a pretty decent player over the years, but the bulldogs are rebuilding. with little chance of success in the near future and with griffen only getting older, he's cashed in with a decent payday ending his career at the giants.

tom boyd never looked like wanting to stay in western sydney, like many others.

we're in a completely different landscape and situation to those players and clubs. with the direction we're heading, most of the guys would be silly to leave.

3 years is a helleva long time in footy , i dare say we will be top 4 material by then , which would require a big money( Franklin) offer to squeeze one of our players out , but your right Clayton ig going to have his work cut out in coming years.
In three years our 1992 crop will be in their football prime, with our younger players (Jaeger, Jacky Martin, Kade) not far behind. Unless we are hopelessly mismanaged we'll be top 4 regularly. It would have to be an outrageously big money offer to lure our WA stars back west. We've also gone for kids of high integrity (Caddy aside) who've already displayed loyalty in sticking with us this long. It's been said before but our decision to recruit heavily from WA is in our favour, not against us, with only the two clubs fighting it out to poach from us, unlike GWS who have to fend off 10 clubs given the majority of their kids are from Victoria. I'm not concerned by this latest article, it gets re-hashed every year. Plus IT'S THE GOLD COAST FFS, you'd have to be a mummy's boy or have mental health issues to not want to live here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back