Cyril Hamstrung? He's ready to go for Box Hill!

Remove this Banner Ad

If he is declared fit to play he has to play.....lets not die wondering.
He has a role to play and its all based on his defensive side of his game.
Its a completely different situation to Hodge in 2012 and a completely different type of player.

Cyril will play. Without a doubt. I think they'll start him up forward in the square and leave him there. He may get subbed out if his fitness is a problem. Replaced with Simpkin. Three smalls and 2 talls in the forward line...with Breust and Puopolo rotating through the midfield.

Listen, guys, I've been following this club for 51 years, and the ONLY thing I want each year is a Hawthorn premiership. You can keep your Brownlows, All Australians, Rookie of the Year, etc, etc, even the Norm Smith award. That's just peripheral stuff which might satisfy other clubs.

I want a premiership and that is all.

If that means using tactics like resting players, dropping them to get game time at Box Hill, playing selection tricks, juggling the team at the last minute, then so be it. You use any tactics that win a Hawthorn premiership (not those used by the *Drug Cheats, of course). If it gives you even a 1% advantage, you have to do it.

If that means losing a Box Hill Grand Final, that's bad luck.

If Cyril comes in and wins us the game, that's fantastic. If it doesn't, at least we tried.

I WANT A DAMN HAWTHORN PREMIERSHIP!

WTF?

Your name is Davo23 - I figured you were 23! Your join date was 2001 - surely you're 37, tops!

Wait, are you from the future? If so, do we get Dangerfield?

C'mon man, quit holdin' out on us!

Cyril will play. Without a doubt. I think they'll start him up forward in the square and leave him there. He may get subbed out if his fitness is a problem. Replaced with Simpkin. Three smalls and 2 talls in the forward line...with Breust and Puopolo rotating through the midfield.

Most times a ruckman gets subbed off for more run.

Eg) Max Bailey last years grand final

Either Cyril is right to go or he doesn't play.

Most times a ruckman gets subbed off for more run.

Eg) Max Bailey last years grand final

Either Cyril is right to go or he doesn't play.
Not anymore. Ceglar and McEvoy both have excellent endurance. Max Bailey struggled to run out games due to his endurance and knees, thats why we subbed a ruckman all the time. Big guys don't get any smaller in the last quarter of a big final. Fast guys get slower, smaller big guys can jump less. Having a big guy in the forward 50 in the last quarter will be valuable. Cyril should start and, if the need be, get subbed at the start of the last for Joffa. If not and he is going fine then someone else can be subbed.

Not anymore. Ceglar and McEvoy both have excellent endurance. Max Bailey struggled to run out games due to his endurance and knees, thats why we subbed a ruckman all the time. Big guys don't get any smaller in the last quarter of a big final. Fast guys get slower, smaller big guys can jump less. Having a big guy in the forward 50 in the last quarter will be valuable. Cyril should start and, if the need be, get subbed at the start of the last for Joffa. If not and he is going fine then someone else can be subbed.

I disagree completely. We cannot plan on subbing Cyril on or off, because we may be forced to sub another player. If Cyril cannot run out a full game, he doesn't play, otherwise we leave ourselves at risk of having Cyril spent, but required to be on the field.

I disagree completely. We cannot plan on subbing Cyril on or off, because we may be forced to sub another player. If Cyril cannot run out a full game, he doesn't play, otherwise we leave ourselves at risk of having Cyril spent, but required to be on the field.
You must have missed the "if need be" bit. I never mentioned we plan on Cyril playing a certain amount of game-time, that's ludicrous. We can afford to sub him if we need to though, because our big men are not aerobic muppets anymore. They have the ability to run games out if we need to. Do you disagree that big guys get no smaller in the last, it is an age old saying and one that has held true many times. The only time it bites is if the big guys are not fit. Ceglar and McEvoy are both running machines, a MASSIVE reason that we upgraded Cegs and got McEvoy was so that we had more flexibility in our subs. They give us the flexibility to sub Sizz if we need to.

You must have missed the "if need be" bit. I never mentioned we plan on Cyril playing a certain amount of game-time, that's ludicrous. We can afford to sub him if we need to though, because our big men are not aerobic muppets anymore. They have the ability to run games out if we need to. Do you disagree that big guys get no smaller in the last, it is an age old saying and one that has held true many times. The only time it bites is if the big guys are not fit. Ceglar and McEvoy are both running machines, a MASSIVE reason that we upgraded Cegs and got McEvoy was so that we had more flexibility in our subs. They give us the flexibility to sub Sizz if we need to.

Fair call. I'm just against having a plan to sub anybody in a GF. If there needs to be a plan like that, then they probably aren't fit enough to play, and present a massive issue if another player needs to be subbed instead.

The fact is that unless he is injured, there should be no reason to ever sub Cyril (perhaps resting him if we are 100 points up :p). If the fitness staff think there is a reasonable chance that he'll get tired and either need to be subbed out, or be a witches hat on the field, then he shouldn't play.

If he is declared fit to play he has to play.....lets not die wondering.
He has a role to play and its all based on his defensive side of his game.
Its a completely different situation to Hodge in 2012 and a completely different type of player.

Absolutely.

If he is fit, he plays. Have people forgotten what this bloke can do.

He can kick goals and win contests no other player in our team can dream about doing. All he has to do is kick a couple of goals, then his selection is worth it.

He has to play.

I'm on the page if he's fit he plays which means he plays the whole game and isn't subbed unless that hammy goes ping, can not afford to play 2 ruck man in the last quarter it hurt us on saturday and will hurt us agai

Looking over his record he has barely played against Sydney recently.

Since the start of 2012 he played in that terrible loss down at Tassie, missed our win over them at the SCG late in 2012, played the 2012 GF (where I believe he was carrying an injury from late in the PF).

Missed all 3 of our 2013 wins due to injury.

Played just over half a game before getting subbed off when we lost away earlier this year and then missed the win at the G in round 18.

In fact if you go back all the way to the start of 2012 the only games we've won against the Swans have been where Rioli didn't play! :eek: That's 8 games for 5 wins since the start of 2012 and he hasn't been part of any of them! You need to go back to the 2011 SF to find a game where he played in a win against the Swans. He at least played well in that game. A worrying stat none the less...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Readi
I loved the footy aspect of Assumption and the boys I hung around with there were pretty awesome.

Remember the gym? Did you ever climb right up to the top on the inside and jump the entire height down and land on the big mats.

I never made it off the top, man that was high.
OMG! I so remember jumping from the onto the mats!
Brother Red absolutely hated me! For close to a term he refused to tech me and made me stand outside class. I remember hm always smelling like an ashtray.
I have fond memories from ACK days and feel sorry for all the teachers that had me back then!
What happened to brother Red in the end?

Cyril's going to take the greatest mark of all time soon.
He will be so high, he'll need the fire brigade to get him down.

Please, God, keep him safe this year ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back