Daniel Menzel 'returned to footy' progress updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IKR!?! When he's on one leg slipping around all I could think was "oh god why did he put this up this is torture". When he stacks it finally it's like, good stay there! Prostrate on the floor, can't do any damage then right? :p AFL players almost need carers around them sometimes. Especially when they're playing "backyard pool tennis".
And the worst thing is that Menzel seems like one of the more intelligent footballers that we have on our list. :D

Stan The Caddy hahaha oh god, it's true! That's an indictment on the IQ level of the list if there ever was one. Just have to shake my head and resign it to boy stupidity.

What they do have on their side is that men don't reach full mental maturity, including the decision making part of cognition, until they're 25. Two more years!
42 and still waiting...

I didn't hear Menzel on SEN this morning, but according to this article, it seems he's still six months away from being "right". It's definitely the slow and steady approach this time round. Got to admire his mental strength, just incredible...:thumbsu:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ut-an-afl-return-in-2015-20141123-11sh23.html

Menzel, who last played a senior game for the Cats in the 2011 qualifying final and has since been through four knee reconstructions, said his latest rehabilitation was progressing "nicely", but that there still a long road ahead to return to the game.
"It's going OK at the minute," he told SEN radio on Monday. "I'm still a good six months away from being fully fit and where I want to be, so there's still a lot of work to go, but at the moment it's progressing along nicely."

I didn't hear Menzel on SEN this morning, but according to this article, it seems he's still six months away from being "right". It's definitely the slow and steady approach this time round. Got to admire his mental strength, just incredible...:thumbsu:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ut-an-afl-return-in-2015-20141123-11sh23.html

Menzel, who last played a senior game for the Cats in the 2011 qualifying final and has since been through four knee reconstructions, said his latest rehabilitation was progressing "nicely", but that there still a long road ahead to return to the game.
"It's going OK at the minute," he told SEN radio on Monday. "I'm still a good six months away from being fully fit and where I want to be, so there's still a lot of work to go, but at the moment it's progressing along nicely."

Hopefully that means he's getting some VFL game time right from the start of the season. If he's going to be "fully fit" in May then I imagine there will be a good 4-6 weeks of VFL games with limited game time before then.

Hopefully that means he's getting some VFL game time right from the start of the season. If he's going to be "fully fit" in May then I imagine there will be a good 4-6 weeks of VFL games with limited game time before then.
I hope that it means that they will not play him in the VFL until he is 'fully fit', so he can play 6-8 games during the second half of the 2015 season in the VFL and hit the 2016 Pre Season ready to go from Round 1!

I hope that it means that they will not play him in the VFL until he is 'fully fit', so he can play 6-8 games during the second half of the 2015 season in the VFL and hit the 2016 Pre Season ready to go from Round 1!

You don't get fully fit without playing. At some point he's just got to be thrown in there because there's only so much training can do to prepare you for games. You can twist and turn thousands and thousands of times but until you make that sudden decision in game to do it at 100% you don't know what's going to happen.

IT seems like they are just going to take every precaution, including time, possible to give him every chance to succeed. There are no absolutes but they wont leave any question marks he goes out there to play. What happens after that who knows but it seems pretty clear that the will have left no wonder as to whether he was ready or not. Rushed will not be an option.

GO Catters

Releasing the pressure valve of expectations for us and him, most likely. Nothing new here. He had stated before that he expected to play a fair few games at VFL level before pushing for AFL selection, with no guarantee he'd play RD 1 VFL. So May, 2015 sounds about right for AFL consideration if he suffers no setbacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some tortured souls are silly enough to
I have been saying for some time it will be a miracle if he ever plays AFL footy again and for fear of jinxing anything I am not going to say anything different. Deep down there is a tingling sensation of positive anticipation. Deep breath. Lid down.

I have been saying for some time it will be a miracle if he ever plays AFL footy again and for fear of jinxing anything I am not going to say anything different. Deep down there is a tingling sensation of positive anticipation. Deep breath. Lid down.
I'm pretty much the same. I can't understand the people who seem to pencil him straight in for AFL, I'm not just being negative but the bloke hasn't played in 3 years really... even fully fit he needs time and games to get touch back. I hope like hell it works out but I have low expectations.

That is overly cautious, to be brutally pragmatic about it, if can't play close to a full year's football in the VFL next year his time will just about be up. From a list management perspective (and his own personal sanity) you can't just keep holding him back. It sounds like he has done a lot of running, the season is nearly 5 months away, so if he is not right to go by round one of the VFL, I think alarm bells will be ringing.

Stan The Caddy hahaha oh god, it's true! That's an indictment on the IQ level of the list if there ever was one. Just have to shake my head and resign it to boy stupidity.

What they do have on their side is that men don't reach full mental maturity, including the decision making part of cognition, until they're 25. Two more years!
I didn't realise that Stevie J was still so young. :D

there is a difference between penciling him in to play AFL RD1 and naming him amongst the players who've been injured soon to return and contribute to the team again.
Some posters shoot down these people for simply mentioning his name but until he is officially de-listed, just like Mitch Brown, I don't understand the negativity if people have belief in him to make this comeback.

I'm one of those who feel as though he makes it back and actually contributes next year. However, there is that feeling that some time later on down the line, he will break down again. But that may be years away.
Same issue with Nathan Vardy, he'll be another one that should be back contributing to the levels people forgot about this season.

Exciting times ahead for the club. Now we just need Clark, Simpson and McIntosh to play at least 12-15 games between them for 2015.
The problem is Bobby that some people pencil him in and assume he will be back to his 2011 form no worries, he may never be that player again, he may be... we have no idea.
and as for Vardy I don't think people forget about anything, but the thing is he hasn't ever performed at high levels... him just contributing week to week will be hopefully great to see

who thinks he'll be back to his 2011 standards though?
I haven't read anything suggesting this. I reckon he has the potential to contribute a goal per game on his return though while gradually managing his work load for the first season.
He's likely not going to be pulling in screamers nor demanding attention for a little while yet though. The body will probably take months to get use to full contact footy again.

Vardy's a gun. One of a few that has the potential to become another Hawkins-type such is the ability of the bloke.
Only played 21 games but I guess we'll find out soon enough.
I should have added the word consistently re: Vardy.... he has shown glimpses here and there... he could be a star he may not be, and his body may never allow to be the best he can be either

He certainly is due some luck though, as is Menz of course

The problem is Bobby that some people pencil him in and assume he will be back to his 2011 form no worries, he may never be that player again, he may be... we have no idea.
and as for Vardy I don't think people forget about anything, but the thing is he hasn't ever performed at high levels... him just contributing week to week will be hopefully great to see

I think it's fine for people to assume that he will reach his 2011 form. It's also fine for people to think that he won't.

I wouldn't think any the worse of Dan if he decided to hang up the boots tomorrow,in some ways I'd welcome it,his over all health and wellbeing must be paramount to ensure quality of life down the track,I hope he's getting good advise I'm sure he is and makes the right informed decision with out any pressure.We all assume he will play again at some stage but he may very well get used to having two serviceable knees and decide to keep it that way and who could blame him.

I think menz will play by rnd 3 if he makes it that far

Given he had his last reco op in July 13, I would be staggered if he does not play any practice matches or at the very least vfl by round 1 if he has no setbacks for the entire pre season given how fit he is atm. His last op was a clean out so really it will be close to 2 years between his last reco by round 1, if the knee isnt sound then it will never will be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back