Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for Dan's on-field progress we will see:

-A half of footy in NAB Challenge Round 1
-3 quarters of footy in NAB Challenge Round 2
-A full game of footy in NAB Challenge Round 3
-Between 2-6 games in VFL start of the year
-Then we pick him for the AFL side depending on how he is going.

:D Can't wait!

I think for Dan's on-field progress we will see:

-A half of footy in NAB Challenge Round 1
-3 quarters of footy in NAB Challenge Round 2
-A full game of footy in NAB Challenge Round 3
-Between 2-6 games in VFL start of the year
-Then we pick him for the AFL side depending on how he is going.

:D Can't wait!

I would rather see him play half a match in NAB challenge rnd 1, have round 2 off and then another half game in round 3 - then increase his match time in the VFL.

Our first NAB game is in Townsville on March 1 at 3:40pm - I wouldn't be surprised if a few others on the comeback from injury are either rested for that match or rested for the round 2 match. That is going to be challenging conditions in the first place and for those on the comeback from injury it will make things tougher, so we might not see too many guys on the comeback trail or our very senior players making that trip.

I would rather see him play half a match in NAB challenge rnd 1, have round 2 off and then another half game in round 3 - then increase his match time in the VFL.

Our first NAB game is in Townsville on March 1 at 3:40pm - I wouldn't be surprised if a few others on the comeback from injury are either rested for that match or rested for the round 2 match. That is going to be challenging conditions in the first place and for those on the comeback from injury it will make things tougher, so we might not see too many guys on the comeback trail or our very senior players making that trip.
There oval would be like a rock wouldn't it?

It's not unreasonable. Simpson and McIntosh have to have pretty big queries on them now.
They certainly do, however in the 2014 Season HMac played 19 games and Dawson played 13 so it would be reasonable to expect something similar, my concern is that they both don't get injured at the pointy end of the season like they did this year.

Perhaps the NAB game in Qld will be a chance for all of our young blokes to show us what they've got?

Got my fingers crossed for Menzel more than any other opposition player in 2015.

He was just getting warmed up in 2011, and wow- wasn't he good to watch.

And, just for the sheer persistence he's shown alone, it would be such a good story if he can come back.

Question- compared to his previous reconstructions, how is he said to be progressing with this one?

Got my fingers crossed for Menzel more than any other opposition player in 2015.

And, just for the sheer persistence he's shown alone, it would be such a good story if he can come back.

Question- compared to his previous reconstructions, how is he said to be progressing with this one?
I understand they're proceeding very cautiously with it this time around, Doss. They're taking their time and slowly increasing his work- not rushing him back as they did the past couple of times.

Like above, very slow and steady. His words had him 6 months away still - so May perhaps - .

There is a portion of a GFC training video from day 1 where he got on the end of one, ran parallel to the goals and snapped across his body.

Not sure if he kicked it or not. Doesn't mater to me. Just seeing him do that action unabated was brilliant. Baby steps however…. and lot of them.

All this stuff so far is non contact but involves direction changes. And the club are managing his training too. This is his last chance and everyone knows it and is proceeding accordingly.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like above, very slow and steady. His words had him 6 months away still - so May perhaps - .

There is a portion of a GFC training video from day 1 where he got on the end of one, ran parallel to the goals and snapped across his body.

Not sure if he kicked it or not. Doesn't mater to me. Just seeing him do that action unabated was brilliant. Baby steps however…. and lot of them.

All this stuff so far is non contact but involves direction changes. And the club are managing his training too. This is his last chance and everyone knows it and is proceeding accordingly.

Go Catters
Ramping it up in such a scenario would be so tough. Just from a confidence point of view, knowing that one bad piece of luck and that's it.

I wish him the best of luck with it.

Ramping it up in such a scenario would be so tough. Just from a confidence point of view, knowing that one bad piece of luck and that's it.

I wish him the best of luck with it.

As are many footy supporters, we are riding every training session and news release about him - and he's just training!

Go Catters

I understand they're proceeding very cautiously with it this time around, Doss. They're taking their time and slowly increasing his work- not rushing him back as they did the past couple of times.

I just hope they're including twisting and turning in his current regime. There's no shortage of players coming back from ACL injuries who get reinjured the moment they stop and turn suddenly (and Menzel is one of them).

I'm only speculating but I think a big reason why the knees go again is psychological as in, players may be worrying about the potential risk and as a consequence, the body isn't exactly going at 100% which in turn leads to a slight breakdown in your overall mechanics. If he can truly start believing he's actually now stronger than before he did those ACL's, the rest may follow naturally for him.
The power of the mind (particularly for a professional athlete) is quite an phenomenon yet to be entirely explored.
I might be wrong but I thought someone here had overheard the trainers/physio's telling Dan exactly that sort of thing, about trusting his body and movement during a training session. It could have even been before he went down again that day, which led to the Lars one.

I recently had the good fortune to speak to someone in the medical profession who has fairly intimate knowledge of Daniel's rehab plan and progress (direct from the horse's mouth, so to speak). For what it's worth, he indicated that whilst in the U.S. Daniel had acquired significant IP on the mechanics of his gait and motion which has dramatically improved his bio-mechanical actions.
In his and Daniel's opinion, with the exception of a dramatic impact or rotation injury which all players are susceptible to, it is extremely unlikely Daniel will break down again due to any pre existing or genetic condition.
Also as a side issue, GFC has incorporated the IP gained into their entire training and rehab regime, particularly in regard to posture and motion.
I'm not pretending I have some magical insight here...just passing on what I regard as some heartening positive information.

People are kidding themselves if they think he will play nab challenge. If he is ready to play at that time of the year surely it will be through the vfl. There is no need to throw him in the deep end. Just let him run around in the vfl with no pressure first.

I just hope they're including twisting and turning in his current regime. There's no shortage of players coming back from ACL injuries who get reinjured the moment they stop and turn suddenly (and Menzel is one of them).
I think there's plenty of twisting and turning going on, Partridge. My heart will be in my mouth every time his legs make contact with another player, though. I still have the first incident etched firmly in my brain. :(

People are kidding themselves if they think he will play nab challenge. If he is ready to play at that time of the year surely it will be through the vfl. There is no need to throw him in the deep end. Just let him run around in the vfl with no pressure first.
Who knows what they'll do, Hulkster? He's shown that his knee can fold when playing VFL.
I agree that there's less pressure and that he can probably back off a little more at VFL level if he wanted to but I don't think that that is his style. He seems to only play "full steam ahead".

You are aware that the vfl has claimed at least one if not 2 of his knees. Vfl has just the same pressures on the knees as the seniors..
Go Catters

2 Knees done in VFL
1 during training
1 in AFL

So judging from this Round 1 AFL is his best chance :p
Don't wanna be a Debbie Downer here but just to complicate the matter.

When he did his knee in the AFL the opponent was Hawthorn at the MCG.

Round 1 opponent in 2015 - Hawthorn (@ the MCG).

Let's push it out to Rd 2. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back