List Mgmt. Dean Gore (former pick 55) Traded to AFC in PD deal

Remove this Banner Ad

If I remember correctly pick 55 was historically a massive outlier in over performing compared to the picks around it
incidentally pick 35 which we sent to Adeaide is a massive under performer, being the second worst.
Good choice, then?
I think that's just a matter of luck, though- ie those numbers being better or worse than surrounding numbers. It feels like you're trying to win Lotto by picking historically popular numbers :)

I'd love to hear from someone who has actually watched him play, both the good and the bad, but he isn't the best thing since sliced bread otherwise he wouldn't have lasted to 55. This doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect but its fair to say that it is a little premature for the board to be having a circle-jerk about him at this moment.
Well, for what it is worth, this is what I posted after I watched him against Vic Metro earlier in the year.

"...Dean Gore, who I noticed in the first SA game I watched, really put together an excellent game against VM. Playing through the midfield, Gore was usually the guy clearing the ball for SA. He ended up with 8 clearances and laid 7 tackles. Across 6 matches, Gore laid 39 tackles (6.5 a games) and averaged just over 15 touches a game. He'll probably get lost among more higher profile players but he could be a good snaffle later in the draft..."

I'll still stand by those last few words, especially now we have him. :)

Well, for what it is worth, this is what I posted after I watched him against Vic Metro earlier in the year.

"...Dean Gore, who I noticed in the first SA game I watched, really put together an excellent game against VM. Playing through the midfield, Gore was usually the guy clearing the ball for SA. He ended up with 8 clearances and laid 7 tackles. Across 6 matches, Gore laid 39 tackles (6.5 a games) and averaged just over 15 touches a game. He'll probably get lost among more higher profile players but he could be a good snaffle later in the draft..."

I know that it was awhile ago but do you remember anything that specifically stood out? A passage of player or an attribute, also in reverse, did he show any poor attributes.

I know that it was awhile ago but do you remember anything that specifically stood out? A passage of player or an attribute, also in reverse, did he show any poor attributes.
His tackling and clearance work was what I remembered most from that game (especially as he was up against Petracca and Brayshaw). He was the one SA mid that maintained his workrate after halftime when Petracca and Brayshaw lifted.

Funnily enough, he did well on the kicking test yet I thought his kicking was just "solid but not spectacular". Yet his results suggest he is right up there by foot.

Without knowing how much pressure the guys are under during the kicking test it is hard to say why I thought one way yet his results show different but game situations have to be more intense I'd think and I do recall Gore being in the thick of it against Metro.

His tackling and clearance work was what I remembered most from that game (especially as he was up against Petracca and Brayshaw). He was the one SA mid that maintained his workrate after halftime when Petracca and Brayshaw lifted.

Funnily enough, he did well on the kicking test yet I thought his kicking was just "solid but not spectacular". Yet his results suggest he is right up there by foot.

Without knowing how much pressure the guys are under during the kicking test it is hard to say why I thought one way yet his results show different but game situations have to be more intense I'd think and I do recall Gore being in the thick of it against Metro.

Did you get any impression about his outside game, I remember when we drafted Schroder he was a bull on the inside and loved to a kick a goal but never got a shot at AFL level due to his lack of an outside game.

Its not the first time that this has happened, where a player of average footskills gets a close to the top in the rankings. I personally don't rate the kicking test as a measure of anything.

Did you get any impression about his outside game, I remember when we drafted Schroder he was a bull on the inside and loved to a kick a goal but never got a shot at AFL level due to his lack of an outside game.
In the first game I saw him against Vic Country I vaguely remember thinking he was playing as a half-forward who was drifting through the middle and he (and Rose) seemed to get a few touches in the forward 50.

Is he an inside/outside type like Lang is? No, not based on what I've seen. But I also don't think he is inside and inside only.

This guy will play AFL football…..a real steal at 55.
David he's the steal of the draft IMO. There is alot to like. He may never be a star but there is nothing to sway me into thinking that he can't be a servicable player at the very least at AFL level. As I stated in a previous post he is the one that i am most excited about out of our class of '14 considering where we took him in the draft.

Its not the first time that this has happened, where a player of average footskills gets a close to the top in the rankings. I personally don't rate the kicking test as a measure of anything.
I've only seen him play a couple of times during the Champs but he definitely has a better set of wheels than Schroder does and seems to find more space than he did.

I rate the kicking test probably lower than you do :D but this bloke can kick a footy. I'm not saying he plays like him but his kicking style reminds me of Menzel. Everything goes in a straight line, from when he releases the ball from both hands to when he places it onto his foot. He also seems to have great positional range which will be important coming on to a strong list. I'm not going to contain my excitement about this kid. I like him alot.

Hey mate do you think that he may have the capabilities to become a run with player in the mould of someone like Cameron Ling down the track?

Hey mate do you think that he may have the capabilities to become a run with player in the mould of someone like Cameron Ling down the track?
Perhaps but it wasn't something I considered in my brief viewings of him.

It isn't a bad idea though. I just feel that might be wasting him a bit. I thought he was dangerous when on a flank as well so he has a couple of strings to the bow.

Looks to have a nice right boot on him, good hands and nice wheels. Has a developed body and has played SANFL so I expect him to make an impact in the VFL straight away. Hopefully can add to our already developing midfield group. Possibly as a flanker back or forward. Definitely a good pick up by Wells!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice kick when he has space, blazes away a bit in traffic when there are more immediate options, but I think this is something that can be improved.

Looks a player to me.

In the group photo Gore stands taller than Cockatoo whom is 185, so Gore's got to be around 186 odd I reckon. Good size for an inside mid. Already has a strong body, exciting prospect.

In the group photo Gore stands taller than Cockatoo whom is 185, so Gore's got to be around 186 odd I reckon. Good size for an inside mid. Already has a strong body, exciting prospect.

Cocky is 186.2/86.2, post combine measurement I think, so yeah all of them have grown a bit by the looks. Nice interview as well.

Last edited:
Cocky is 186.2/86.2, post combine measurement I think, so yeah all of them have grown a bit by the looks. Nice interview as well.
I was just about to make a comment on Gore's height, has he grown above 186cm now (based on the draft group photo)? Bonus if so.

Cunico is close to 185cm last measurement at combine.

I was just about to make a comment on Gore's height, has he grown above 186cm now (based on the draft group photo)? Bonus if so.

Cunico is close to 185cm last measurement at combine.

Gore's definitely found 2-3 cms unless he's standing more forward than Cockatoo, that's an old trick if you want to appear taller.
Cunico looks as big as Cockatoo, but then, are they in line?

Not going to lie I finally watched Gore's highlights package today & wow he seemed a lot stronger than I thought he would be! Getting quite a few good clearances & has good pace too! Can definitely see him playing a few AFL games in 2015!

Not going to lie I finally watched Gore's highlights package today & wow he seemed a lot stronger than I thought he would be! Getting quite a few good clearances & has good pace too! Can definitely see him playing a few AFL games in 2015!

Jansen V Gore at training should sort out the order for the VFL hard ball get ladder for the first chance in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back