Review Dees V Wee 'N Poos - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players are copping it here, and some deserve it, but the time has come to examine Neeld's game plan and philosophy.

Yes there is intensity at the contest, but let's not forget the primary objective here: TO WIN THE BALL! Not just tackle. Not just apply pressure. Not just close down space. But win the bloody thing and use it effectively. 100 less possessions within a half is beyond a joke.

Our run and spread is non-existent.

We hug the boundary more than any other side in the competition.

Plan A is handball to a teammate who bombs it long to a contest. Plan B is....?

In short, our attack is being extinguished at the expense of focusing on defensive structures that quickly fall apart once the players become dispirited.

We've gone from (allegedly) all attack and no defense under Bailey, to all defense and clueless in attack.

Bailey had his fair share of criticis, but at least we were occasionally good to watch. This Melbourne side (side, not team) are pure misery to follow at this point in time, and without a dramatic change in strategy and direction on the field, finishing behind the two new boys of the competition could be just a formality this year - the ultimate insult to those who have put their heart and soul into this club over the past few years.

It will be interesting to see how Neeld spins another what should have been a 100+ point loss.

Good:
- Mitch Clark. Made Leigh Matthews look a right tosser early. Also seemed to have a lot of mongrel about him and gave a s**t about the game. Tried all game.
- Frawley. Had Franklin kicked straighter, things would look ugly, but most of Buddy's shots were out wide and under pressure from Chip and his first 2 goals came from stoppages and fluky snaps. Also limited his marking in the forward 50 and when he chased he chased hard.
- Magner: Thought he played well, tackled hard, marked well.
- Bartram. Played well across half back, intercepted quite a few kicks.
Bad:
- Davey there was effort there, at times, but generally unsighted
- Fitzpatrick: only his 2nd game and had no impact, but I did like a couple of his efforts at contests. Seemed to care a bit more about the game then others, though was very quiet. I'd keep him above Sellar; drop if Martin is fit and ready to step in.
- Bail: very quiet again, should be dropped this week.
- Trenners: tackled hard, but seems to be struggling with the captaincy and being able to lead as a 3rd year player. Then again, if Moloney or Sylvia or Green or Davey or... weren't so pathetic, he wouldn't be in this rut.
Fugly:
- Disposal efficiency. Putrid
- Decision making. Putrid
- Pressure on the Hawks when they got the spread, most of the time, was putrid
- Morton's 1st half. Turned things around to be ok in the 2nd but some silly errors really left a dark smear on his game.
- Petterd: arguably one of the most liked players from a supporters perspective. Lotta people calling for him to come in, myself included. Bad call, I admit. Unless he improves out of sight during the rest of the year he could be moving elsewhere.
- Bennell: 2 good Casey games does not translate to solid AFL form. Did nothing.
- Bate as sub: Not a great idea. At least Dunn can snag a goal or 2 with limited chances, and usually does, Bate doesn't seem capable of that and isn't really the type who can come on and change a game.
- Sylvia: unfit, or just uninterested? Didn't do anything really.

The only thing they did poorly was kick for goal. They still rolled us by 70 points kicking 15.25. They may not have played their best footy but to say they are not a good side is a joke.
Well played sir ...:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Thought Clarke was good , iv got to eat hummble pie on that one....can you boys please tell me why Bate was sub tonight ....??

Fugly:

- Kicking out, may as well bring back Travis Johnstone to do kick ins because at the moment it seems as though whoever is closest gets to kick in. Otherwise Frawley and Garland are designated kickers which is a ****ing joke, 9 times out of 10 we kick high to a back flank to Jamar and hope for the best.
- Davey, Sylvia, Bennell, Petterd did not get near the ball. Sylvia is somewhat underdone but the other three just are not interested and may as well have been in the stands with Jack Watts.

Im glad I've already renewed my membership because if the club called me during the next week I don't think I'd be able to bite my lip.

Biffinator, going by the Herald Sun site, Bartram had 100% disposal efficiency? Clearly he's turned the corner with his kicking and is a shining light from tonight?

Verily he terrorised the opposition. Yep.

I feel instantly sorry for players coming to the club in recent years. What youngster would honestly want to play for us? Me personally, there is no way I would want to line up with players as heartless as ours. There is a losing and blazae culture at the club, its been there since 1964, but never as bad as now, without witnessing the 65-86 era, its the players FULL TIME JOB now. Dean Bailey was very responsible for his own downfall. But how can you honestly blame him for the sickeningly embarrassing loss that culminated in his sacking. Half these players don't even deserve a paycheck. I've seen amateurs give more effort (and possibly execute better skills).

We've recruited badly, but with the right structure, leadership even the worst players can contribute (look at Toovey at Coll'wood for example, very average player - but yet he plays in a team that supports each other, works for each other, has good leaders, makes a hell of a difference.)

Unfortunately we don't have talented leaders. No Judds, Pavlich's, Brown's and the like. Just honest workers like Jones and Bartram, these guys should be Alan Toovey's of our team to be honest, not having to lead from the front.

One reason I can't read these forums too often because it drives me to insanity, is the mindset of just 'getting through the year' til we get our next batch of draft picks. Who gives a flying ****! It's not going to change anything. They'll just end up as ruined as Watts and Trengove. Or with manorexia. And by the way, we deserved to lose Tom Scully. I know we're all supposed to hate him for being a traitor, but what honesty was enticing him to stay? Seriously? I know Petterd was s**t tonight but he is a good footballer, the way we've un-developed him is a disgrace. I hope he can make a good fist of it elsewhere.

I really don't know what the answer is but getting flogged like this every week is not only wasting time, its killing the young players who cannot develop whilst getting killed and with some shithouse overly-convoluted gameplan (I assume that's what it is)

Just so many issues at the club right now. Supposedly we'll be marginally better in a few years and then fall back off the cliff. Its just so ****ing depressing.

Bombers in same boat recently it can turn around quickly. Frawley Clark jones mckenzie grimes jamar bartram and trengove all had a real crack. The fugly for me as an unbiased footy fan was Stefan Martin and jack watts playing up to camera while their teammates were under the pump. This looked awful.

Who cares?

The lads are allowed to have a laugh, **** knows I did during the game.

We're pretty average inside and out.

Too many people don't care.

Lol'd at seeing Neil Craig with his hands around the back of his head. Retirement is nice after you've royally ****ed Adelaide, hey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fugly - Following this football club. I imagine my life would be a lot happier if I didn't have to go through so much frustration 22 times in the year.

Fugly - Following this football club. I imagine my life would be a lot happier if I didn't have to go through so much frustration 22 times in the year.

Mine too.

Pointless talking about football now, but a massive fugly was the demons supporters turnout. 36k crowd that was 3quarters hawks is unbelievably s**t. I thought we had more members this year.

Plus I'm sick of everybody feeling sorry for mark neeld. He's showing nothing as a coach.

Good:
Clark - if he wasn't on awesome money i'd feel sorry for him. at least he can sleep comfortably on his bed made of cash.
Howe - good good good player
Garland - puts his body on the line in the air so often, feel he probably doesn't get praise from supporters for that part of his game that he deserves

Bad:
Sylvia - might've needed a week or two at Casey before coming back to tune up...
Morton - ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ugly:
McDonald - does okay considering how much the ball comes into our back half, but HOLY s**t SON YOUR KICKING IS AWFUL
Bail - just cant find the pill this year
Bennell - finished. Good VFL player, nothing at AFL level.

Kicking the ball long down the line to 2-on-1s - OH MY GOD JUST STOP. it kills me
Jones body language - not his fault, he tries his hardest and is one of our best, but it sucks that by the 3rd quarter he had such a "ugh, **** this" look about him. Not his fault, i feel for him.

THE GOOD
- Mitch is a gun. Leave him in the forward line - what a cheap little trick to have him start in the centre for the opening bounce of each quarter with Jamar alongside.
- Someone has told Jamar that he has feet - good to see him kicking.
- Considering the pressure, I reckon Frawley and Garland went better than OK.
- Bartram took some good marks
- The blonde bird in the Members. No wonder she had a big fat engagement ring on her finger. What a lucky guy.
- McDonald - one blooper aside, I like his endeavour and output.

THE BAD
- I reckon both our captains were ordinary tonight.
- Sylvia is clearly rusty. That is OK, he will come good enough.
- Jamar is clearly not right in the head. He needs to relax. Gawd we miss Martin.

FUGLY
- Morton - one nice mark.
- Bennell - did nothing.
- Petterd - did he play?
- Bail - s**t. I cannot believe I once thought he was going to be a fine player,
- Like others have said, I do not understand this so called game-plan, unless its intent is to hand it over to the opposition at 80% of clearances.

Pointless talking about football now, but a massive fugly was the demons supporters turnout. 36k crowd that was 3quarters hawks is unbelievably s**t. I thought we had more members this year.

Plus I'm sick of everybody feeling sorry for mark neeld. He's showing nothing as a coach.

I've been defending him through thick and thin this year but performances like that make it pretty hard. We can SEE the game plan but it's a combination of not working and not having the cattle to make it work.

Half the gameplan is actually making one to fit your cattle. Not enforcing it and disciplining hem when they can't pull it off.

Less joking with the lads on SEN and more football

The lack of defensive pressure is astounding.

The Good - if Judas has been out there tonight with his dinky little kicks, it would have made no difference whatsoever.

The lack of defensive pressure is astounding.

The Good - if Judas has been out there tonight with his dinky little kicks, it would have made no difference whatsoever.

Is that lack of defensive pressure down to the players not knowing WHEN to run or not working hard enough? Just think our players aren't committed to doing the hard things on a consistent basis.

The game plan is simple, piggy in the middle. Oh look that guys got the ball, everyone ur towards him, now that guys got the ball. Let's run at him.

Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back