Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmmmm I suddenly want WC to draft Weller. Picket will be gone, Cockatoo a stretch.

Weller's pace and kicking edge out Duggan.
At a minimum you'd think at least one of Weller, Duggan or Cockatoo will still be on the board by our pick - I'd be happy with any one of those three

Some rumours that Geelong are keen on him at 10. So we may not get a choice.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Melbourne go against the grain & choose lever over McCartin. That could really throw the whole top 10.

I still think GWS will take him, but he would suit Geelong as well. Not exactly what we need unfortunately.

Duggan looks like being locked to GC. Is here a chance Collingwood do actually pick Langford as was rumoured a few days ago, or is Laverde pretty much a certainty?

Weller is my preference too.
I made the mistake of underrating Aish last draft. Weller has a complete game. May be skinny and average height but gee he can play. Balanced game, great skills, nice athleticism, smart and has performed.

I think his size makes him less fashionable, but I reckon like Aish it won't impact his ability to perform.

I'm not sure how significant this is or whether it's common knowledge RE: Ahern but I thought I'd post it.

View attachment 93882

Leaves Lever, DeGoey, Weller, Cockatoo for Pick 11

Very very tough choice.

I've been critical of DeGoey in the past but the more I see the more I like - love his attack on the footy.

That being said the high reward of Cockatoo is still too hard to ignore..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many disposals did Weller average in the under 18s?

This:

"Weller not in the Top 40?
Yeah, as mentioned in the intro I think Weller is overrated by many, especially those who have him in the top 10. In four games in the TAC Cup, he only notched up more than 17 possessions twice and when he did get it, he missed the target more than he hit it with a poor kicking efficiency of 44%, the lowest in my list of the top 50 players in the TAC Cup this year.

In the National Carnival, he played a great game against NT, racking up 25 touches, 6 tackles and 2 goals in a QLD team that won by 30 points. But I thought he was underwhelming in his other two state performances never achieving more than 15 disposals and not getting in the top 15 disposal winners on the ground against QLD or the top 10 against NSW/ACT.

Could very easily be proven wrong in the years to come, but based on the stats and from what I’ve seen, I think there are quite a few ahead of him."

is from this: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-afl-draft-top-40-player-rankings.1082167/

Thought they were interesting stats. Havent see the full season stats though.

This:

Yeah, as mentioned in the intro I think Weller is overrated by many, especially those who have him in the top 10. In four games in the TAC Cup, he only notched up more than 17 possessions twice and when he did get it, he missed the target more than he hit it with a poor kicking efficiency of 44%, the lowest in my list of the top 50 players in the TAC Cup this year.

In the National Carnival, he played a great game against NT, racking up 25 touches, 6 tackles and 2 goals in a QLD team that won by 30 points. But I thought he was underwhelming in his other two state performances never achieving more than 15 disposals and not getting in the top 15 disposal winners on the ground against QLD or the top 10 against NSW/ACT.

Could very easily be proven wrong in the years to come, but based on the stats and from what I’ve seen, I think there are quite a few ahead of him."

is from this: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2014-afl-draft-top-40-player-rankings.1082167/

He seems to rate Caleb Hislop very highly as well.

Weller said himself he was struggling with the tag during these games

This:

It's misleading. There is no algorithm or ranking system that he has used, he has simply listed some stats then ranked them based on preference.

This is an alternate:

Lachie Weller
Height: 181cm
Weight: 71kg
Position: Midfield​

For all the talk of the Academies, it could well be that the best player from Division 2 is free for all takers come draft day - and that player is of course Queenslander (and former Tasmanian) Lachie Weller. Just at the top, he is a member of the Gold Coast Academy but hasn't lived in Queensland long enough to qualify for them to take him on draft day. So now we get a player who has the benefit of training in such an environment, but one who is entering the draft just like anyone else. And while Isaac Heeney is widely regarded as the best Division 2 player, I still think Weller could be the best midfielder in the entire draft.

He just reminds me so much of James Aish, who I also rated as the best midfielder in his draft class. He plays a similar game, and has a lot of the same strengths. And without trying to go too over the top, I just don't think there is anything he can't do. And Weller has proven that by performing at every level - from the U16s and U18s, to the AFL/AIS Academy and even playing in the seniors in the NEAFL. Again, much like Aish did. In his three TAC Cup games for Queensland, Weller proved that he is at a whole different level to his opposition. He was BOG against Gippsland, finishing with extraordinary figures of 35 disposals, 21 handball receives, 5 marks, 11 tackles, 1 goal and 2 behinds. And in his three games at the U18 Championships this year, Weller was a consistent ball winner and just did things with ease. And as I said before, he has performed well against men too being a consistent performer in the NEAFL and finished with a 4 goal haul in one game.

I feel like I'm repeating myself with some of these profiles, but Weller is another who doesn't have many big weaknesses to his game. One of the knocks on Aish was his contested game, with many thinking he couldn't do it. But as I said last year, it's just that he was so valuable on the outside that he didn't get a big chance to show off that other side to his game. And Weller is similar. He hasn't gotten to really show it off, but he can play in close. The only other thing he needs to do is build up his body, which will obviously come with age.

But when it comes to his strengths, there are a whole heap. Firstly, he is such a smart player. Sometimes it seem as though he is two steps ahead of everyone else out on the ground. He can step through traffic with ease, knows exactly where the ball will drop and is one of those players who will direct players with his kicking - he kicks it where he wants them to be, not straight to them. And as a result, less of his kicks are chopped off or spoiled by opponents. The other thing that he does so well is to hit the ball at full speed. When he does become that bit stronger, that ability will make him so valuable in the centre square and at throw ups around the ground. He has already shown flashes of this, and being able to collect the ball at speed and kick goals as a result is something that will turn games. He's just clean with everything he does. And those strengths are just when he has ball in hand, I haven't even touched on his athletics past.

At the start of the year, I rated Lachie Weller as the best midfielder in the draft. And to be honest, not much has changed since then. The form of Petracca has perhaps seen him drop down one, and some taller midfielders could be preferred depending on what teams are after. But, Weller is one of the standout midfielders and looks to be a pretty safe option at the top of the draft - and I'd have him firmly inside the top 10.

It's misleading. There is no algorithm or ranking system that he has used, he has simply listed some stats then ranked them based on preference.

This is an alternate:

Good to read a different view and some more stats. I'd definitely be happy if we read out his name. He oozes class and looks very professional.

I'm not fussed at all with Weller's size. Just his inability to get a lot of the ball.

I'd still be happy with him.

He is a good accumulator. He's been tagged heavily most of the year

This:

BuPYPxsCIAAHo0X.png:large

Leaves Lever, DeGoey, Weller, Cockatoo for Pick 11

Very very tough choice.

I've been critical of DeGoey in the past but the more I see the more I like - love his attack on the footy.

That being said the high reward of Cockatoo is still too hard to ignore..

Very tough indeed.
It would be a brave decision to pass on Lever.

Would still rather Weller over Degoey and day of the week. He'd play off the forward flank for the first part of his career anyway, so not worried about his lack of midifeld possessions right now. For me he'll be a player who eventually "moves into the midfield"

Laverde > Pickett > utensil > Weller > Degoey > Duggan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back