Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Sheppard as an u18 player even if we reached for him. He stagnated for several years though and I think there is a good case to be made that we botched his development.

I agree with this. Maybe because with his frame and skill set he was able to get away with a lot of his flaws against 17/18 yr olds but against men he has been found wanting. Everyone knows he improved this year, but as we've all lowered our expectations for him it has been blown up a bit. Was solid without being spectacular. Still nothing near what you'd want from a first round pick, which is one of the reasons 2009 was such a draft disaster.

Anyone see the article pretty much saying Eagles will select cockatoo, and freo durdin, think it was perth now

You should pretty much take anything read from that site with a grain of salt.

Anyone see the article pretty much saying Eagles will select cockatoo, and freo durdin, think it was perth now

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...l-national-draft/story-fniv6fhh-1227131721486

It leaves the way open for Darwin’s Nakia Cockatoo to be the Eagles’ first pick for an injection of pace and goal-kicking menace.

Dockers recruiters look sure to get their first choice, South Australian youth star Sam Durdin, a developing key position talent, at No.13.

This is interesting, Champion Data's top 30 prospects

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...132202198?nk=7c89c74e40381029380aded1013364de

9. LACHIE WELLER (181cm midfielder)
Skilful midfielder. Rated the No.1 kick at the national carnival, recording a kick rating of +34 per cent.

18. CLEM SMITH (177cm midfielder)
Smith can push into defence and averaged the second-most intercept possessions of any midfielder at the carnival. His possessions netted a 400m gain per match.

20. NAKIA COCKATOO (186cm midfielder)
Inside midfielder who won 61 per cent of possessions contested from 13 games Champion Data covered.

22. JOSH McGUINESS (189cm defender)
A ball magnet at half-back, his under-18 numbers resembled Kade Kolodjashnij’s last year. Averaged the most disposals of any defender and ranked No.1 for rebound 50s.

25. CONNOR BLAKELY (189cm inside midfielder)
Blakely thrives at stoppages, ranking elite for contested possessions and No.1 for clearances while playing for Western Australia.

27. TYLER KEITEL (194cm swingman)
A genuine swingman, Keitel was the No.1 ranked player when in attack for Western Australia, while he averaged the most disposals of any defender when thrown into the backline.

I agree with this. Maybe because with his frame and skill set he was able to get away with a lot of his flaws against 17/18 yr olds but against men he has been found wanting. Everyone knows he improved this year, but as we've all lowered our expectations for him it has been blown up a bit. Was solid without being spectacular. Still nothing near what you'd want from a first round pick, which is one of the reasons 2009 was such a draft disaster.

You should pretty much take anything read from that site with a grain of salt.

Don't worry i do mate, bring on Thursday for for f sake

This is interesting, Champion Data's top 30 prospects

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...132202198?nk=7c89c74e40381029380aded1013364de

9. LACHIE WELLER (181cm midfielder)
Skilful midfielder. Rated the No.1 kick at the national carnival, recording a kick rating of +34 per cent.

18. CLEM SMITH (177cm midfielder)
Smith can push into defence and averaged the second-most intercept possessions of any midfielder at the carnival. His possessions netted a 400m gain per match.

20. NAKIA COCKATOO (186cm midfielder)
Inside midfielder who won 61 per cent of possessions contested from 13 games Champion Data covered.

22. JOSH McGUINESS (189cm defender)
A ball magnet at half-back, his under-18 numbers resembled Kade Kolodjashnij’s last year. Averaged the most disposals of any defender and ranked No.1 for rebound 50s.

25. CONNOR BLAKELY (189cm inside midfielder)
Blakely thrives at stoppages, ranking elite for contested possessions and No.1 for clearances while playing for Western Australia.

27. TYLER KEITEL (194cm swingman)
A genuine swingman, Keitel was the No.1 ranked player when in attack for Western Australia, while he averaged the most disposals of any defender when thrown into the backline.

Masto
The thing about Cockatoo I like is how professional he is with his injury management.
He turned up to draft camp in elite condition.
He does every thing to get the best out of himself.
A lot like Brayshaw his preperation is elite.

Masto
The thing about Cockatoo I like is how professional he is with his injury management.
He turned up to draft camp in elite condition.
He does every thing to get the best out of himself.
A lot like Brayshaw his preperation is elite.

If we take the risk I just hope it works out. He would certainly be an exciting player to have on our list.

I just want whoever we draft to be good enough to make our starting 18 Round 1 next year. That's the type of player we need to take us to the next level.

Be it Cockatoo, Weller, DeGoey, Lever, Laverde

We haven't drafted players with such qualities since Gaff and Darling - It's been way too long!

#noexpectations

Christ don't tell Eaglemaniac he'll be in tears

That's a pretty reasonable answer, sometimes i forget Hutchings is even part of the 22.

Na, I don't care as long as we're winning games, I just stick up for him because he gets severely underrated on here and doesnt deserve the bagging he gets IMO, while others get praised for doing sweet * all.. ;)

Laverde reminds me of Jarred Brennan, someone who will do some freakish things on the footy field but will also frustrate just as much as well.

Hypo athlete with iffy disposal due to composure. Marsh slid last year for similar reasons, it seems Laverde could as well?

Suggests the following club preferences to me (bolded is my prediction);
#1 STK - Petracca/McCartin
#2 MFC - Petracca/Brayshaw
#3 MFC - McCartin/Lever
#4 GWS - Pickett
#5 COLL - Laverde/Langford/De Goey/Weller/Ahern/Duggan
#6 GWS - Goddard/Marchbank/Wright/Lever
#7 GWS - De Goey/Ahern/Laverde
#8 GCS - Duggan/De Goey/Langford
#9 COLL - Moore
#10 GEEL - Wright/Goddard/Durdin/Lever/De Goey/Langford/Laverde/Duggan/Weller

Leaving West Coast with a choice between Weller, Cockatoo, Lever and Ahern.
It will really shake things up if Collingwood take Langford at #5. Sounds like Laverde is a very good chance to make it to our selection which would be ripping result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggests the following club preferences to me (bolded is my prediction);
#1 STK - Petracca/McCartin
#2 MFC - Petracca/Brayshaw
#3 MFC - McCartin/Lever
#4 GWS - Pickett
#5 COLL - Laverde/Langford/De Goey/Weller/Ahern/Duggan
#6 GWS - Goddard/Marchbank/Wright/Lever
#7 GWS - De Goey/Ahern/Laverde
#8 GCS - Duggan/De Goey/Langford
#9 COLL - Moore
#10 GEEL - Wright/Goddard/Durdin/Lever/De Goey/Langford/Laverde/Duggan/Weller

Leaving West Coast with a choice between Weller, Cockatoo, Lever and Ahern.
It will really shake things up if Collingwood take Langford at #5. Sounds like Laverde is a very good chance to make it to our selection which would be ripping result.

In the past the late invitations have always gone in the top 10. It seems Langford and Durdin are both good chances.

Not really. Any player with an injury history presents an element of risk.

Now Masto - can you be open minded. Lever has no association with Claremont. Guess you would been the pass on Judd and Selwood. Grow some balls. If Lever is available at 11, you take it with both hands and with no regreats.

I just want whoever we draft to be good enough to make our starting 18 Round 1 next year. That's the type of player we need to take us to the next level.

Be it Cockatoo, Weller, DeGoey, Lever, Laverde

We haven't drafted players with such qualities since Gaff and Darling - It's been way too long!

#noexpectations
I think they'd have to be quick and big enough, I think Cockatoo and Laverde could both play R1, but Duggan/Weller probably would be held back until they play a few WAFL matches. Lever wouldn't play much in 2015 for us if we drafted him. De Goey would depend on who was available in our forward line.

I really want Cockatoo (and wanted Pickett for the same reason) because I feel a bit short-sighted with this draft - I really think we need a kid to come in and make an impact because like you say it's been far too long and I think our side is stagnating because of it. When Gaff and Darling came in and made an impact the whole side lifted. I think a confident line breaking youngster would make so much difference to the side short term, even if a guy like Duggan ends up being the more accomplished player

I just think he's too risky given the other quality options that will be there. Not saying I'm going to be sad if we take him, it would just be very unlike our recruiting staff of recent times.
Yeah agreed. He'll be taken in the late teens IMO and if he stays fit will become a fan favourite instantly. Our recruiters will regardless tell themselves that they made the right choice taking the safe option.

The article talks about Lewis Taylor being a late invite

True but in this instance I think the Pies would be the only team interested in Langford (in the top 10) - and if they wanted Laverde (who will be available) they wouldn't need to send an invite. The only other possibility I can think of is Geelong taking him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back