scottydeewah

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Can anyone here remember 2004? I bloody well can. I remember it because it was the year the cats were back, climbing the ladder spot by spot. Every game was “building character”. Every game was gritty. Every game was tough Every game was forged off the back of defence. Every game wasy won through a willingness to help out your team mates . Nobody pointed the finger at us and told us it was ugly ****house football to watch. Bit it was. Who outside a cats fan would want to watch this, it was horrid, but we won. We got back in numbers, flooded, tackled, chased, brought games to a standstill. We didn’t bother with scoring, we didnt bother with trying to entertain. Someone at Catland knew, they knew...winning was entertainment. As much as I shouted “we want goals” I knew that was bull****, I couldn’t have cared less, I just wanted to win, to grind it out, to be TOUGH, to play like every game was the last. We played like a team that was desperate. Why? Because that is the game plan this bunch of journeyman, blue collar players needed. We didn’t pretend like we needed to entertain, like we needed to kick a certain score to win.

That entire year our defence had the best two players. Why? Where they that good? Well yes…and no. See we defended like out ****ing lives depended on it, we choked sides to death. We let them beat themselves against a brick wall (which was our defence) like a crazed bull, then, on the rebound we pounced. We were the marathon runners, the boa-constrictors, the ugliest team in football. We didn’t pretend to have a forward line, in fact we played like we knew we DIDN’T have one. We worked hard, we won.

I don’t understand why our game plan has changed. I can remember Bomber coming out after we beat Richmond round 1 last year. He was so excited. I wont quote here but it was some bull**** like

That is how we want to play. 20 goals a match. Blah blah blah we will blow teams out of the water.

What was he balls deep on the AFLs fat stupid ****? Where had out game plan gone? The one based on hard word, 1%s and a plan based around our greatest strength, based around our best player. It was gone and in its place was this seppo pretty high scoring BULL****!

*TIMEOUT*

I like how Sydney play, why cause they one the bloody premiership. And because that was the most gripping fourth quarter of football in a GF for years. Usually I am smashed and outside playing “Marks Up” in the fourth. Last year I was smashed and totally consumed.

*I am BACK*

So please please please. Stop pretending like we are the goddamn golden children of the AFL. Like we have a team that can play one way football and blow teams out of the water. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying flood, chip around, play g@y. I am saying play accountable, watch your man, help out your team mates, tackle hard, get back and help, flood forward in numbers. I am saying **** off this stupid “we will blow you out of the water” crap. I would rather see wins then “pretty” endorsed by the AFL football.

The 2004 season was the most exciting season i can remember. We seemed to have alot of close finishes and we actually seemed to win them.

Id much rather the 2004 "Rooke" attitude than the 2006 "Kelly and SJ downhill skiing epidemic"

Hmmm. I've been thinking for a while that the team need to be watching videos from 2004. The tackling, desperation that team demonstrated seems to be absent.

the difference is Cresswell coached in 2004..then he left. The team dynamics have changed and while I don't ever see us playing that way again, we could get back some of the accountability and willingness to go hard at the man with the ball. I also think the rules have changed a lot in the last few years which means they can't dive on the ball for a ball up and the backs can't recklessly smother a marking forward or hit their arms. These and other changes have changed the way the game is played.

Wasn't it that after the 2004 finals series that Bomber and co. realised we weren't gonna win a flag playing that defensively?(look at our scores in the win v Ess and in the PF) Which is why the switch to a more attacking gameplan. It helps though if the team has the key forwards to play like that.

Mooney looks good at CHF though and it would be good to see Ottens play at FF for an extended period to see what he can do. Those two at least can take a contested mark. Even if they don't mark we have two of the best small forwards in the league at their feet, plus Stokes.

I wonder if some of it has to do with the fact that teams probably respect and rate us more of a side now then they did back in 2004. We had just come off a poor season in 2003 and some teams might have seen us as an easy win, but left with their tails between their legs after we beat them. I particularly think Brisbane, who had made a habit of beating us down physically, were surprised at how hard Geelong were at the ball when we beat them at Skilled Stadium that year.

Now teams see us more of a measuring stick in terms of how they're going, and tend to 'get themselves up' mentally to play against us. Much like Geelong did in 2004 when they were playing the Essendons, Brisbanes and Port Adelaides.

Wasn't it that after the 2004 finals series that Bomber and co. realised we weren't gonna win a flag playing that defensively?

thats my point, why did they think this? I think natural progression would have meant we would score more but we are trying so hard to blow teams out of the water.

I think my point is why do we not play to our strengths?

scottydeewah said:
Can anyone here remember 2004? I bloody well can. I remember it because it was the year the cats were back, climbing the ladder spot by spot. Every game was “building character”. Every game was gritty. Every game was tough Every game was forged off the back of defence. Every game wasy won through a willingness to help out your team mates . Nobody pointed the finger at us and told us it was ugly ****house football to watch. Bit it was. Who outside a cats fan would want to watch this, it was horrid, but we won. We got back in numbers, flooded, tackled, chased, brought games to a standstill. We didn’t bother with scoring, we didnt bother with trying to entertain. Someone at Catland knew, they knew...winning was entertainment. As much as I shouted “we want goals” I knew that was bull****, I couldn’t have cared less, I just wanted to win, to grind it out, to be TOUGH, to play like every game was the last. We played like a team that was desperate. Why? Because that is the game plan this bunch of journeyman, blue collar players needed. We didn’t pretend like we needed to entertain, like we needed to kick a certain score to win.

That entire year our defence had the best two players. Why? Where they that good? Well yes…and no. See we defended like out ****ing lives depended on it, we choked sides to death. We let them beat themselves against a brick wall (which was our defence) like a crazed bull, then, on the rebound we pounced. We were the marathon runners, the boa-constrictors, the ugliest team in football. We didn’t pretend to have a forward line, in fact we played like we knew we DIDN’T have one. We worked hard, we won.

I don’t understand why our game plan has changed. I can remember Bomber coming out after we beat Richmond round 1 last year. He was so excited. I wont quote here but it was some bull**** like

That is how we want to play. 20 goals a match. Blah blah blah we will blow teams out of the water.

What was he balls deep on the AFLs fat stupid ****? Where had out game plan gone? The one based on hard word, 1%s and a plan based around our greatest strength, based around our best player. It was gone and in its place was this seppo pretty high scoring BULL****!

*TIMEOUT*

I like how Sydney play, why cause they one the bloody premiership. And because that was the most gripping fourth quarter of football in a GF for years. Usually I am smashed and outside playing “Marks Up” in the fourth. Last year I was smashed and totally consumed.

*I am BACK*

So please please please. Stop pretending like we are the goddamn golden children of the AFL. Like we have a team that can play one way football and blow teams out of the water. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying flood, chip around, play g@y. I am saying play accountable, watch your man, help out your team mates, tackle hard, get back and help, flood forward in numbers. I am saying **** off this stupid “we will blow you out of the water” crap. I would rather see wins then “pretty” endorsed by the AFL football.
Boo Hoo Scotty deebee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back