Dizzy says: Scrap T20 internationals; trial 4-day Tests

Remove this Banner Ad

and make streaking and pitch invasions legal between overs
Catching the ball in the crowd is not illegal, you get heavy fines for streaking and pitch invasions. Sometimes you get financial reward for catching the ball in the crowd. If T20 really is hit & giggle for TV then why not add the crowd element? It wasn't that long ago the thought of a T20 cricket game would've been laughed at in cricket circles, yet here we have it, IMO nothing is out of the realms of possibility anymore. I won't say such a silly idea won't ever happen because you just never know....it's all about ratings.

Last edited:

What is it people actually hate about T20?
Gimmickry (dancers, fireworks, DJs, etc)
Over the top commentary to the point of orgasm
Designed for those with short concentration spans
More often than not turns bowlers into fodder - may as well have bowling machines out there
Little capacity for ebbs and flows in the game

And so on....

I call it slogball. Cricket dumbed down to appeal to Americans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People ragging Twenty20s is the most predictable part of this thread.

This. It's trendy to hate on T20.

Gimmickry (dancers, fireworks, DJs, etc)
Over the top commentary to the point of orgasm
Designed for those with short concentration spans
More often than not turns bowlers into fodder - may as well have bowling machines out there
Little capacity for ebbs and flows in the game

And so on....

I call it slogball. Cricket dumbed down to appeal to Americans.

Sherb's post is pretty reasonable.

People complain about gimmickry (me amongst them), but I don't see too many threads about dress up competitions at the ODIs, and people are overwhelmingly in favour of domestic T20 - there is just as much gimmickry in the Big Bash as anywhere else!

My main gripe is that it has been promoted as a novelty format of the game since it was introduced to the international scene about a decade ago or whatever it was which detracts from the actual game. If they scaled back or did away with all the superficial s**t on the side it really is just another form of limited overs cricket. If people were interested in ebbs and flows in limited overs cricket they'd get behind ODIs, but they don't - and they flock to T20s.

I'd like to see bowler friendly wickets, long boundary ropes, proper Australian teams like the good old days where the ODI team was basically the test team with one or two others who were good in the format rather than the 'let's give anyone a go' approach we have now.

What is it people actually hate about T20?

I just can't get into a match of T20, and I have tried on a few occasions. I end up awkwardly leaving the room:

27f.gif

The reasons posted by sherb above pretty much cover my problems with the format. To his list I would add that I have some concern its popularity in the subcontinent and the West Indies is contributing to dwindling attendance numbers at Test matches in those regions. Tests are the jewel in the crown and should be supported and protected. If separating T20 from the international circuit aids that, while still giving T20 fans a product they like, then I am all for it. Will not happen though, because money.

I probably see it the other way. If you isolate T20 from the international scene you run the risk of creating a club vs country problem. Would we want a 23 year old Mitch Marsh playing Big Bash and IPL and giving up on FC cricket?

No we wouldn't want that, and granted that may pose a problem. But perhaps it might be possible to have the major club T20 tournaments (IPL, Big Bash, etc) fall outside of the international schedule. They vaguely do as things currently stand.

People complain about gimmickry (me amongst them), but I don't see too many threads about dress up competitions at the ODIs, and people are overwhelmingly in favour of domestic T20 - there is just as much gimmickry in the Big Bash as anywhere else!

The Big Bash was okay when it was proper state sides and not franchises. Now I don't really take an interest – I can take or leave the T20 format at any level.

Good ideas. The T20 one especially. But with teams absolutely unwilling/unable to get through 90 overs on time I can't see them getting through more.

Easy fix. Don't bowl 15 overs in an hour - lose 5 runs per over - per hour. Oh, and you still have to bowl the missing overs at the end of the day anyway. And if you missed 2 overs in the first hour, and then later took a new ball, well, you bowl the two make-up overs with the old ball.

Just stop with all the conferences, extra drinks breaks, bowlers doing extra warm-ups. It used to be 20 overs per hour anyway.

And, obviously, keep an eye on the batsmen as well - if the ref decides they've wasted an over's worth of time, they get penalised.

Catching the ball in the crowd is not illegal, you get heavy fines for streaking and pitch invasions. Sometimes you get financial reward for catching the ball in the crowd. If T20 really is hit & giggle for TV then why not add the crowd element? It wasn't that long ago the thought of a T20 cricket game would've been laughed at in cricket circles, yet here we have it, IMO nothing is out of the realms of possibility anymore. I won't say such a silly idea won't ever happen because you just never know....it's all about ratings.

I'm sorry but that's just a terrible idea on numerous levels.

For starters a sporting contest is between the two teams, not the two teams plus whoever decides to insert themselves into the match from the sidelines.

Secondly, punishing batsmen for hitting sixes goes against the entire ethos of T20, and cricket in general.

Thirdly, a home crowd is only going to want to catch out the opposition, so you're essentially turning it into 11 vs 10,000.

Lastly, what happens when some drunk decides to spear tackle an opposition supporter because he's about to catch out his favourite batsman? There's no umpires in the crowd to keep things under control.

Easy fix. Don't bowl 15 overs in an hour - lose 5 runs per over - per hour. Oh, and you still have to bowl the missing overs at the end of the day anyway. And if you missed 2 overs in the first hour, and then later took a new ball, well, you bowl the two make-up overs with the old ball.

Just stop with all the conferences, extra drinks breaks, bowlers doing extra warm-ups. It used to be 20 overs per hour anyway.

And, obviously, keep an eye on the batsmen as well - if the ref decides they've wasted an over's worth of time, they get penalised.
Wouldn't quite go that far, even when 90 overs were comfortably bowled in a day the first session of a test would struggle to bowl 15 overs in an hour, the pace would pick up in the day as spinners came on though. They don't demand 16 overs an hour in Shield, just have to bowl your 96 in the day though.

Can't bowl 90 overs in a day then I agree much stronger penalties should be applied.

Wouldn't quite go that far, even when 90 overs were comfortably bowled in a day the first session of a test would struggle to bowl 15 overs in an hour, the pace would pick up in the day as spinners came on though. They don't demand 16 overs an hour in Shield, just have to bowl your 96 in the day though.

Can't bowl 90 overs in a day then I agree much stronger penalties should be applied.

Slow over rates were introduced deliberately to Test cricket in the 1954/55 series by the poms - they had a four-man pace attack and wanted to give them plenty of rest (just like the Windeies in the 70s/80s). Prior to that, 100+ overs was easy. Remember the 1948 test when Australia made 3/404 on the last day to win the match? The poms batted for 10 minutes (to use the heavy roller), there was a 10-minute innings break, and the poms still bowled 114 overs at the Aussies in the rest of the day.

Even in 1970/71 (Aus v Eng), in the drawn tests,:
1st test - 375 8-ball overs (equivalent to exactly 100 6-ball overs per day)
2nd test - 380 8-ball overs (101 6-ball overs)
5th test - 369 8-ball overs
6th test - 378 8-ball overs

In the 1930 series in England, 120-130 overs per day was average. In the 1932/33 Bodyline series (when the poms bowled almost all pace), the average was basically 90-100 8-ball overs per day.

We've just become used to cricket being played at a funereal pace - some of that is due to the demands of TV advertising, but most of it is players just farting about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back