Do We Have The Hunger?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no doubt teams on the rise can experience obstacles on the journey. Geelong was top 4 before missing out on finals in 2006, Hawthorn's 2008 flag was meant to herald an era of sustained success that only bore fruit in 2013. Freo are still missing that elusive premiership cup despite having a premiership capable team.

We're not immune from suffering a similar fate although I don't think any such failings will be due to issues with hunger. Not with this group.

Seriously did you listen to them after the PF loss or what they've said since that losing a prelim isn't good enough? There is no need for grandstanding at the B&F about hunting flags in 2015 etc that stuff just sets you up for failure.There is a determination in this group that is there for all to see, most of them have been back running, doing weights etc not long after our 2014 campaign ended.Let them do the talking internally they all know we aren't the feel good, Cinderella, fairytale story anymore.We are a bonafide premiership contender, look at Hawthorn they never mentioned back to back or flags until the finals it doesn't need to be stated as there is a tonne of work required before even thinking of that. The players all know how much hard work is required this summer just to get back to a prelim, let alone the next step.Plue Kenny, Vossy, Carry, Matty Nicks, Burgo and co know what is in front of us, if all those factors don't make you realize this group knows what is required then nothing will.Let Collingwood, Essendon, North, Richmond etc make the outlandish statements we will just do the hard work, be respectful and the prize will come.

I have liked this post- but it deserves more. Great points. The lads are driven, and Ken holds no ceiling on what we can achieve as a football club. Winning a premiership (as silly as this is going to sound) sets a ceiling- we have done our job once we get there and win one. NO WAY!

This club needs to be successful ala Hawthorn- up there for a sustained period. This group knows what they want, there is no need to spell out what we want in the public eye- its pretty bloody obvious. Ken is growing the group. We have added quality personnel, we will do the work, and the results will come.

Whenever we lose a few games a bunch of people jump in to suggest that we've been "found out" because teams have "done their research now".

It's not that I think a prelim will happen by default, it's that I think it's strange for other teams to wait until the third year of success (fifth 2013, third 2014) to "do their homework" on Port Adelaide. Surely any team whose coaches who aren't dedicated to getting all the necessary data on their opponents should be fired? We only have 18 teams in the league and at the very least anyone who isn't doing their research on any of the top 8 isn't doing their job.

Unless my image of what the coaching team does is way off, I'm not sure I put any weight into this idea of "homework".
Ah yes the old Port will get found out when they play a game that matters trick

jog on...
This season we supposedly would be found out due to 'teams doing their homework' and 'a harder draw' which turned into 'you have an easy draw' six rounds in and apparently - I'm just finding out now - that teams weren't looking at how to stop us this year either.

What a load of wank.

I certainly don't think I belittled your achievements over the last two years in my posts on this thread

I have stated that you'll need to improve next year to finish top 4 and given reasons why yet still backed your team to finish top 4

From your statements above, it seems that you guys think that Ken Hinkley is currently spending as much time thinking about how to beat Melbourne and St Kilda next year as he is thinking about the Swans the Dockers

I respectfully disagree with that view

But I'll see myself out and leave you guys to discuss whether or not your team is hungry enough to win the 2015 flag

Look forward to playing you next year

Ultimately, to win a flag, you normally have to have a reasonable run with injuries. Most clubs are about five top line injuries away from near-disaster, and we don't know what any year will bring. We have to have the hunger to make the most of any opportunity that is put in front of us.

I can't see us not having hunger. We had that burning feeling in the gut after letting the match slip to Geelong in 2013. I can't see any smaller feeling being created after going down to Hawthorn.

Just watchef the 89 gf doco on the general AFL thread you'd think Buddha would be a constant reminder to the boys that just because you're the young up and comer doesn't guarantee you sucses. Hopefully Gaz is telling the boys to win a flag sooner rather than later so Boaky doesn't have to change his name to snappy Tom.

I certainly don't think I belittled your achievements over the last two years in my posts on this thread. I have stated that you'll need to improve next year to finish top 4 and given reasons why yet still backed your team to finish top 4. From your statements above, it seems that you guys think that Ken Hinkley is currently spending as much time thinking about how to beat Melbourne and St Kilda next year as he is thinking about the Swans the Dockers. I respectfully disagree with that view. But I'll see myself out and leave you guys to discuss whether or not your team is hungry enough to win the 2015 flag
Look forward to playing you next year
I think your views are pretty much a "given." ... No premiership ever comes easy, and our players have learned that that from two hard and successful finals campaigns, albeit without winning the flag. Is Port hungry enough? Interesting that you question this on the basis of one Ken Hinkley interview! For us Port supporters & members who follow the daily activity of the club, team, players, coaches, and listen to and follow all media & interviews, including local radio ... there would not even be a shadow of a doubt!

Port Adelaide is driven by factors that a casual Hawthorn supporter couldnt fathom ... no disrespect here! The pain of 2010-2012 years, he crap we have had to constantly put up for many years from the Crow-centric media & populace in Adelaide, the fight with the SANFL to merely survive, and the fire & fibre that is the very essence and being of the Port Adelaide FC ... Victorian teams & supporters cannot begin to fathom. You only have to look at the team walk off the ground after losing to Geelong in 2013 ... gutted to the core, while many had suggested we had "succeeded" by merely making the finals & getting to play Collingwood the week before at the MCG. Same deal against Hawthorn in 2014! These two losses have hit the players much harder than outside observers realize! Hungry? They are damned hungry!! Will success happen automatically? Forget the overenthusiastic exuberance of a few BF members!! The boys are well aware of what it takes to win the grannie! Our coaches, headed by Hinkley, Burgess, and now Voss, DAMNED-well know what it takes! They wont get ahead of themselves ... we might! But hey, that's half the fun of the off-season.
:p

I think your views are pretty much a "given." ... No premiership ever comes easy, and our players have learned that that from two hard and successful finals campaigns, albeit without winning the flag. Is Port hungry enough? Interesting that you question this on the basis of one Ken Hinkley interview! For us Port supporters & members who follow the daily activity of the club, team, players, coaches, and listen to and follow all media & interviews, including local radio ... there would not even be a shadow of a doubt!

Port Adelaide is driven by factors that a casual Hawthorn supporter couldnt fathom ... no disrespect here! The pain of 2010-2012 years, he crap we have had to constantly put up for many years from the Crow-centric media & populace in Adelaide, the fight with the SANFL to merely survive, and the fire & fibre that is the very essence and being of the Port Adelaide FC ... Victorian teams & supporters cannot begin to fathom. You only have to look at the team walk off the ground after losing to Geelong in 2013 ... gutted to the core, while many had suggested we had "succeeded" by merely making the finals & getting to play Collingwood the week before at the MCG. Same deal against Hawthorn in 2014! These two losses have hit the players much harder than outside observers realize! Hungry? They are damned hungry!! Will success happen automatically? Forget the overenthusiastic exuberance of a few BF members!! The boys are well aware of what it takes to win the grannie! Our coaches, headed by Hinkley, Burgess, and now Voss, DAMNED-well know what it takes! They wont get ahead of themselves ... we might! But hey, that's half the fun of the off-season.
:p

Sorry I'd love to respond but I've already seen myself out ;)

Hypothetically speaking if I was still contributing to this thread which I'm not, then I'd say that...

It's easy to say that every team is hungry for next year

If you had to nominate one of this years top 8 to be the hungriest for Premiership success in 2015 who would you pick?

Personally I would nominate
Fremantle
as the team that should be the hungriest in 2015

They tick the most boxes on the hungriness scale!!!

Sorry I'd love to respond but I've already seen myself out ;)

Hypothetically speaking if I was still contributing to this thread which I'm not, then I'd say that...

It's easy to say that every team is hungry for next year

If you had to nominate one of this years top 8 to be the hungriest for Premiership success in 2015 who would you pick?

Personally I would nominate
Fremantle
as the team that should be the hungriest in 2015

They tick the most boxes on the hungriness scale!!!

Thanks for your thoughts, have enjoyed reading them. See where you're coming from nominating Freo.

North's & Freo's best 22 are 26 year old groups. Swans & Hawks, about 6 months older, with flags to show for their efforts. Many of Freo's current best 22 will have bitter memories of a grand final, two years on the "time is ticking away" feeling is what should really burn in their whole group's guts. That'll get worse any time they stumble this year (no disrespect meant, but **** happens at some point in everyone's season, like your injury run that you covered well, and our "flat spot" we worked out of just before finals).

IMO North will become this era's Western Bulldogs. Scrag their way into Semis & Prelims for a few years then disappear in a cloud of indifference from everyone else. May be hungry in that unique "let's win a few games we shouldn't, that'll show 'em!!" North way but their best won't be good enough for enough games in a row at the business end. The Dons aren't ashamed enough of their recent err conduct to seem "hungry" to me. Tigers? Sheesh... that group IMO would be happy with a single competitive finals appearance.

Port's group is in the 24-year-old bracket, 2 years younger than Hawks or Swans. The hunger of 'wild and crazy youth, who know no limits' is different to the hunger of 'old age, FFS it's our last chance to do something'!! So my vote in the Big Footy "Hunger Games" is a tie between Port & Freo, with Port winning in extra time based on the extra running power of "hungry" yoof ;)

Different playing group profiles, different "hunger". You've been fortunate enough to see in your group the hunger of youth and the hunger of maturity between 2008-2014. I believe our current group will earn the opportunities to experience all of that as well.

I would have thought Freeo's hunger would have been this year.

However they burnt out all their tickets, injuries hurt them too, but with Sandi another year on, Pav another year on, McPharlin gone, I'd suggest they will struggle to back it up.

Dermie had us at the start of 2014 to be the stocks to watch in 15, with us not making the finals in 14. I agree with him except for I thought we could make the finals in 14.

15 is our year for development, potential and output to match.

I would have thought Freeo's hunger would have been this year.

However they burnt out all their tickets, injuries hurt them too, but with Sandi another year on, Pav another year on, McPharlin gone, I'd suggest they will struggle to back it up.

Dermie had us at the start of 2014 to be the stocks to watch in 15, with us not making the finals in 14. I agree with him except for I thought we could make the finals in 14.

15 is our year for development, potential and output to match.

McPharlin is playing on "but will need to be carefully managed due to his ongoing calf issues".
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-10-08/offseason-medical-room
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-10-06/mcpharlin-to-play-on-bond

Agree with you on Sandi & Pav, and Freo will have a few more 30+ year olds running out with them next season, see if their medicos work is as good as the Hawks' medicos work was this season. That mid season injury run turned out to be a blessing for the Hawks (and I mean that with all due respect to them - and their depth players).

Roll on 2015, it's going to be a tasty season. Very hungry for it myself.

Thanks for your thoughts, have enjoyed reading them. See where you're coming from nominating Freo.

North's & Freo's best 22 are 26 year old groups. Swans & Hawks, about 6 months older, with flags to show for their efforts. Many of Freo's current best 22 will have bitter memories of a grand final, two years on the "time is ticking away" feeling is what should really burn in their whole group's guts. That'll get worse any time they stumble this year (no disrespect meant, but **** happens at some point in everyone's season, like your injury run that you covered well, and our "flat spot" we worked out of just before finals).

IMO North will become this era's Western Bulldogs. Scrag their way into Semis & Prelims for a few years then disappear in a cloud of indifference from everyone else. May be hungry in that unique "let's win a few games we shouldn't, that'll show 'em!!" North way but their best won't be good enough for enough games in a row at the business end. The Dons aren't ashamed enough of their recent err conduct to seem "hungry" to me. Tigers? Sheesh... that group IMO would be happy with a single competitive finals appearance.

Port's group is in the 24-year-old bracket, 2 years younger than Hawks or Swans. The hunger of 'wild and crazy youth, who know no limits' is different to the hunger of 'old age, FFS it's our last chance to do something'!! So my vote in the Big Footy "Hunger Games" is a tie between Port & Freo, with Port winning in extra time based on the extra running power of "hungry" yoof ;)

Different playing group profiles, different "hunger". You've been fortunate enough to see in your group the hunger of youth and the hunger of maturity between 2008-2014. I believe our current group will earn the opportunities to experience all of that as well.

Yep I agree with a lot of what you've said

Hawthorn of 2008 is most unlike the usual Premiership team. We were a young side in only our second finals campaign, and winning in 2008 most definitely impacted on our 2009 & 2010 seasons - we weren't hungry for success in the slightest.

If you look at North, the dominant side of the 1990s - the played 7 Prelims in a row. In their second year of the finals, 1994, they lost a Prelim to Geelong by a goal. They didn't end up winning their first flag until their 4th year in the finals

Most sides win a flag about 4 years after making the finals... and I'm sure Port will win a flag with this group at some point in the next 3 years

You guys clearly have a well run club and the list looks like it has the ability to challenge for the flag in 2015

Regarding the hunger, It's a great question and we'll certainly find out next year.

I don't believe Hawthorn would have gone back-to-back (probably would've lost both Prelims) without the hurt from both 2011 and 2012 driving them

When watching Ken Hinkley's press conference after the Prelim his message seemed to be about where the club had come from and that they now had the respect back from the rest of the competition. This is of course completely correct - Port do have the respect of the competition, but I noticed it was a massive contrast to Clarko's famous words after the 2011 Prelim loss to Collingwood

"The bottom line is we weren't tough enough, hard enough for long enough. We learnt a pretty fatal lesson as a result of it."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-24/hawks-just-werent-hard-enough-says-clarkson/2940728

Would be interesting to know what was said to the players behind closed doors after the Prelim loss this year

All the best for 2015

Both our teams haven't had the starts we would have liked or anticipated & there is a question of hunger over both Hawthorn & Port at the moment

Just thought I'd raise the question again about Ken Hinkleys presser after the Prelim loss...

When watching Ken Hinkley's press conference after the Prelim his message seemed to be about where the club had come from and that they now had the respect back from the rest of the competition. This is of course completely correct - Port do have the respect of the competition, but I noticed it was a massive contrast to Clarko's famous words after the 2011 Prelim loss to Collingwood

For a club that exists to win premierships, were Port too content with being back as a genuine contender in 2014?

Anyway hopefully both our sides get it together & see you in September

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back in the day losing a prelim was seen as a wasted season. Now it's being worn as a badge of honour.

As Hannibal Lecter might say, Louis Friend.

The difference, unless we land a big signing, we may only have 2 more years for it to "click" properly, once Schulz retires, we have a serious drop off in one of the key positions necessary to make the grand final. Big full forwards don't always have good games on grand final day, but you absolutely need 1 or 2 firing all year to make it that far in the first place.

When you look at the teams that have had a dip in between finals appearances and competing for a flag, they have appropriate aged players at either end. We don't in our forward line.

Hawks 2008 - current had a young Buddy and Roughead, recruited Gunston
Geelong in 2004 - 2013 had a young Mooney, and recruited JPod and Hawkins.
St Kilda in 2004 - 2010 had Gherig, handing over to Roo.
Port 2001 - 2007 had Tredrea.

To compare us to sides that had to go backwards before they went forwards is fraught with danger. We need to be hungry now, or we could find ourselves in the same position as the 2007 - 2010 Bulldogs. Given the 6 to 7 year turnaround from the initial prelim, to competing on Grand Final day, 2013 + 6 = 2019. Who do we have coming through that will be hitting the strides in that time?

We look like a team that hasn't adjusted to the fact we our now a hunted scalp and not the feel good story of the comp. the mentality is completely different this year. I'm not sure we're ready to accept that yet.

Are we having "Norf" moments? Still taking the big clubs and scalps, and rivalry matchups, but letting the more winnable ones slip?

I remember reading this article from back in 2011, about us replicating Sydney's rise to the 2005 premiership. In 2005, Sydney were 3-4 after 7 rounds too and wasn't that season very even and open too? A few upsets occurred in the finals, like St Kilda knocking off Adelaide, then Sydney knocking off St Kilda in the Preliminary Final then of course Sydney coming back to beat West Coast in the Grand Final after they lost to them in the QF.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ans-up-the-table/story-e6freco3-1226098636990

Even our wins haven't been too positive. We haven't played 4 quarters all year and our game plan isn't quite right. I understand the need to change it. The thing that concerns me is that we are so focused on switching play to open up the ground that we give time for the opposition to run back and help put their backline. Gone is the direct play and using the corridor and in comes the backward movements only to look up and see that all your options have been closed down.

I remember reading this article from back in 2011, about us replicating Sydney's rise to the 2005 premiership. In 2005, Sydney were 3-4 after 7 rounds too and wasn't that season very even and open too? A few upsets occurred in the finals, like St Kilda knocking off Adelaide, then Sydney knocking off St Kilda in the Preliminary Final then of course Sydney coming back to beat West Coast in the Grand Final after they lost to them in the QF.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ans-up-the-table/story-e6freco3-1226098636990

Absolutely - its an even season and maybe someone could sneak into the top 4 like the Lions did in 2003 with a 14-1-7 record

However something needs to change with both our sides and soon or there'll be 6-7 losses in the book rather soon

Not hungry or aggressive enough to compete, the players feel safe and need a bomb put up them befor they once again become irrelivant..

I started this thread at a very unpopular time. At the end of last year everyone assumed we had the hunger and I was worried about a few things, most notably the speeches at the B & F. There was a lot of "look where we've come from" back slapping and none of the 2003 Wanganeen B & F speech of desperation and inspiration to get a flag.

In 2004, there were many times we could have just given up. Stevens left for nothing, we lost Francou for the year, we had some early losses and we then lost our captain for a year. Look at the highlights of that epic Port v Brisbane R22 2002 or plenty of other 2002-2003 games and you'll begin to remember just how great those three players were and how important to us they were. We had every right to make excuses in 2004 but we didn't. We replaced three of the best players in the competition at the time with an immoveable "hunger to win".

Why didn't the unfamiliar confines of the MCG, a then dubious finals history and the biggest crowd the club had ever played before by about 40,000 people result in nerves, fumbling, hesitancy in front of goals and uncharacteristic errors? Because our hunger was stronger than nerves.

Now who remembers Tredrea's goal from the boundary in 2004? Not the person I would ever have had kicking for my life but he nailed it. From my memory too (I haven't checked the film) but I can't remember any goal we kicked that day just clearing the line bar Carr's opener.

Contrast that with Port this year. I'm not saying our efforts are sub par. But notice how many goals just clear the line or, as in yesterday, don't make the distance from 30-40 out. That's because we don't have that edge that is the difference between "having a go" and being "desperate" to succeed. When you have that mongrel you kick the ball through the goals, not at them.

It's naive to say the players aren't giving 100%. That's not the issue. Our defensive effort after half time against Hawthorn was proof our players are giving 100%. Ironically, that second half and the last two weeks are plenty of evidence that we are not hungry enough, at present, to win a flag. Teams with that hunger will be seen as attacking teams because they will not get beaten at the contest and they will force the ball forward more often than not out of pure mindset.

Talent is not the issue, coaching is not the issue, fitness is not the issue, 100% effort is not the issue. Hunger is the issue. It's not too late for 2015, but we have to start with a mindset that it almost is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back