Opinion Do you have confidence in Chris Scott and the coaching staff?

Do you have confidence in Chris Scott and his coaching staff?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
no faith

did a great job in 2011 but since then he has made a heap of mistakes

*favouring Blicavs over West in the ruck
*bringing back injured players too quickly
*terrible development of KPF's
*not resting older players
*poor development of players
*having an eachway bet as far as development vs winning a flag
*really poor press conferences eg mission accomplished
*no contingency plans (eg rucks, Hawkins situation a few years ago)
*losing mid aged players Christensen, Varcoe, T Hunt for very little
*poor finals record
*has a clear set of favourites
*older players seem to do what they want

the sooner we get rid of him the better

I think that since he won a flag he got overconfident and is too loyal with the older players

Aside from those he's actually not bad.

Completely and totally agree with the very last sentence too.

Saying mission accomplished after a shocking loss is not accepting mediocrity?? I really struggle to understand if people just don't understand english anymore or they are trolling.

People see what they want to see. Some are willing to ask questions after absolutely shocking losses (which that was), others are willing to live in the sporting version of North Korea; perpetual praise, and no criticism thanks very much.

So no new theories then. Pass. Try again sunshine.

"We'll learn some things from tonight. In that respect, it's kind of 'mission accomplished' a little bit, but the competitor in you and in our boys would clearly liked to have performed better after half-time."

There it is in context and as someone who was at the game I do see where he was coming from. That first half we played a bit different and were richly rewarded. However as was the case for most of 2014 we couldn't keep up for 4 quarters.

I can see where he was coming from as we killed the Hawks in the first half with outside run. +53 in uncontested possessions which is a Hawthorn strength with iirc Varcoe, Hartman, Stokes and Bundy all playing well on the outside to set up a well deserved lead. Mackie had shut Bruest out of the game and the hawks two most damaging outside runners in Hill and Smith had 11 touches between them.... ended the game with 34 between them.

My recollection of that first half was that it was a throwback to our handball happy years which contributed to the lead in the match. From that pov I can see where he was coming from with regards to mission accomplished. I'm actually trying to look at what we were trying to do, not the end outcome.

Yes the 2nd half was bad, we were again overrun and it made us look bad.

saying something in a presser like that is accepting mediocrity. Bah humbug. **** me this board is full of spoilt brats sometimes. Go ask a doggies or St.k fan if they think we're accepting mediocrity. They'll probably give you a response that would put things into perspective. "if that's mediocrity I wish my club was mediocre" or something like that....
Saying it's ok because we are better than Stkilda and The dogs is accepting mediocrity. Just because you accept being not last as an achievement doesn't mean others have to.

Saying it's ok because we are better than Stkilda and The dogs is accepting mediocrity. Just because you accept being not last as an achievement doesn't mean others have to.

And interestingly, for a crucial core of the current playing group (Enright, Johnson, Kelly, Bartel, Stokes, Selwood, Hawkins), 8 years ago they didn't accept it either.

So finals every season is mediocre. Pass. Try again sunshine.

So finals every season is mediocre. Pass. Try again sunshine.
For one that is not what you said and two, yes accepting anything that is not a premiership is accepting mediocrity. Doesn't mean you expect a flag or haven't done well if you fail to win a flag, but you never accept it, you have never accomplished a mission unless it helps you win a flag, especially with the talent Scott has at his disposal.

Was it a bad choice if phrase. No it was a horrible choice of phrase. In isolation as a sound byte.

In the context of the whole conversation, it makes sense to what he was eluding to.

its still a horrible phrase.

But go ahead follow the non context version…

GO Catters
He said it was mission accomplished because we lost and apparently all players in his view learn when we lose. In that case every team in every game accomplish their mission. the winners because they get one step closer to a flag and the losers because they learn. he should of said mission accomplished in his pre match speech because there is no way he could fail to accomplish such a pathetically weak mission. As long as we turn up we are all winners.

No suprise 2 of the biggest DQ's are at it on this page ;)
The logic that making a comment about 'mission accomplished' which I might add is being used out of context, is somehow 'accepting mediocrity' is laughable.

The thing is I was at that game and could see where he was coming from, we found a way to beat Hawthorn, thus it was 'in a way mission accomplished' but the DQ gallery just look at the end result and not the underlying process.

******* hell this board is full of spoilt brats. How on earth can we be accepting mediocrity whilst making finals year after year. Not being successful in September does not change that. I'm certain that the club, from the ceo all the way down to the boot studder are aiming for more September success so I don't think they're accepting our recent performances which is a long way above mediocrity.

The simple fact is that it is not easy to make finals and it's even harder to achieve that September success. 8 teams enter, 1 leaves satisfied.

But but we're accepting mediocrity based on one post match comment.:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

taylor to the forward line, you know when scott rolls out this tactic we are in trouble

its the only move he has, the goto tactic
It may of been ok if he trialled it for full games during the season. But he didn't trial it once save for the odd 10 mins and then brings it out in a final. Dumb. Dumb. dumb.

For one that is not what you said and two, yes accepting anything that is not a premiership is accepting mediocrity. Doesn't mean you expect a flag or haven't done well if you fail to win a flag, but you never accept it, you have never accomplished a mission unless it helps you win a flag, especially with the talent Scott has at his disposal.
Doesn't have to be what I said. You said we were accepting mediocrity i rebutted that with what we have achieved. Which is not mediocre.

Oh and maybe take a break from the hash cookies for a while 'accepting anything that is not a premiership is mediocrity' so 17 teams are mediocre are they, the runners up are mediocre are they? Who said the club was accepting what happened?

but if you don't think you can learn in a loss, then you're an idiot......

taylor to the forward line, you know when scott rolls out this tactic we are in trouble

its the only move he has, the goto tactic

Maybe for people who don't understand modern football or who can't see a structure change to save their life.
That may be their (it isn't just all Scott you do know?) VERY LAST desperate move to save a game, but it certainly isn't their first or only.
I love all the slamming on the Scott coaching group, a group that has overseen a team in transition who is bucking history and still staying competitive and with a stroke of luck could have snared a flag history says is impossible. Look where the saints are, we played then in a GF in 2009, now look where we finished.
And the are crap?
Spare me.

I love all the slamming on the Scott coaching group, a group that has overseen a team in transition who is bucking history and still staying competitive and with a stroke of luck could have snared a flag history says is impossible.
Didn't you hear the breaking development. Remaining competitive when nearly every afl measure has been designed to ensure we drop away. That is now accepting mediocrity:confused:

Maybe for people who don't understand modern football or who can't see a structure change to save their life.
That may be their (it isn't just all Scott you do know?) VERY LAST desperate move to save a game, but it certainly isn't their first or only.
I love all the slamming on the Scott coaching group, a group that has overseen a team in transition who is bucking history and still staying competitive and with a stroke of luck could have snared a flag history says is impossible. Look where the saints are, we played then in a GF in 2009, now look where we finished.
And the are crap?
Spare me.

Hear hear.

A team that has been transitioning from one of the greatest teams of all time and certainly Geelong's greatest ever team and yet we've still been winning as many games in the H&A as our competitors since 2011. Of course the finals campaigns haven't gone as we'd all like in that time but if the younger replacements can gain enough experience while some of the older guns are still around then we may have a chance to reach the summit again.

Hear hear.

A team that has been transitioning from one of the greatest teams of all time and certainly Geelong's greatest ever team and yet we've still been winning as many games in the H&A as our competitors since 2011. Of course the finals campaigns haven't gone as we'd all like in that time but if the younger replacements can gain enough experience while some of the older guns are still around then we may have a chance to reach the summit again.

We almost won a flag in 2013, we had nothing but bad luck and disastrous injuries yet we held a 20 point lead at 3/4 time over the eventual Premiers, who by the way were kissed on the di......, well you know, they were super lucky and had their best possible 22 for the game, while we had no ruckman, a disabled solo key forward and missed 2 vital veteran players (Boris and Chapman).
With even a tickle of luck we hold on and beat the hawks, then who knows?
And that is a team in transition, that has been "up" since 2007, winning an unbelievable amount of games and which history dictates should be bottom 4.
And they very much could/should have won the flag.
Yet that is mediocrity?
Sometimes I think some posters would look up at a flawless blue sky and frown, just to point out the tiny wisp of cloud.

Last edited:
Well, in that case, I'll take the job!! With my trusty Advisors here on BF, how could I go wrong?? :rolleyes: ;)
As my first request, could you in perpetuity play Blitz on the wing please. Seeing the DQ's melt on bigfooty would make it worthwhile;)

We almost won a flag in 2014, we had nothing but bad luck and disastrous injuries yet we held a 20 point lead at 3/4 time over the eventual Premiers, who by the way were kissed on the di......, well you know, they were super lucky and had their best possible 22 for the game, while we had no ruckman, a disabled solo key forward and missed 2 vital veteran players (Boris and Chapman).
And that is a team in transition, that has been "up" since 2007, winning an unbelievable amount of games and which history dictates should be bottom 4.
Yet that is mediocrity?
Sometimes I think some posters would look up at a flawless blue sky and frown, just to point out the tiny wisp of cloud.
Put in into perspective how well we've done all things considered. In 2007 we broke our drought with that wonderful 119 against Port.

Since then they've fallen away, had bay covers, nearly won a spoon, had debt troubles, hired one of our premiership winning assistants as head coach and still had time to make finals for the last 2 years now.

In that time we've missed top 4 once.

We almost won a flag in 2014, we had nothing but bad luck and disastrous injuries yet we held a 20 point lead at 3/4 time over the eventual Premiers, who by the way were kissed on the di......, well you know, they were super lucky and had their best possible 22 for the game, while we had no ruckman, a disabled solo key forward and missed 2 vital veteran players (Boris and Chapman).
Yet that is mediocrity?

I think you mean 2013.

In 2014 we wouldn't have gone out in straight sets if we had a fit SJ and Christensen. Great teams like we were in 2007-2011 could cover one or two important players but we're no longer that team so having those two out (and of course either MacIntosh or Simpson) was just so so crucial.

I think you mean 2013.

In 2014 we wouldn't have gone out in straight sets if we had a fit SJ and Christensen. Great teams like we were in 2007-2011 could cover one or two important players but we're no longer that team so having those two out (and of course either MacIntosh or Simpson) was just so so crucial.

I did mean 2013, edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back