Movie Documentaries to Download?

Remove this Banner Ad

capturing the friedmans

... leap frog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capturing_the_friedmans

great film
yeah, but the son pays for the sins of their father, like it was put forward, all entirely innocent, and I think they even took apart repressed memory which has little or nil scientific backing in the psychiatric literature, but he gave a veiled admission of holiday hijinx behind dunes.

Think may have been a little anti-semitism going on, that dykie investigator was scaring, she would have castrate me with mere words. Makes you wonder when you have a judicial wing like these invistegaters so certain beyond doubt do buy this from mere children.

Felt most sorry for the son who did time. Think Oprah had a program on this in the early 90s, and the hugh and cry was palpable from here. May well have switched the trial to Salem from Long Island or rhode Island or wherever they were

yeah, but the son pays for the sins of their father, like it was put forward, all entirely innocent, and I think they even took apart repressed memory which has little or nil scientific backing in the psychiatric literature, but he gave a veiled admission of holiday hijinx behind dunes.

Think may have been a little anti-semitism going on, that dykie investigator was scaring, she would have castrate me with mere words. Makes you wonder when you have a judicial wing like these invistegaters so certain beyond doubt do buy this from mere children.

Felt most sorry for the son who did time. Think Oprah had a program on this in the early 90s, and the hugh and cry was palpable from here. May well have switched the trial to Salem from Long Island or rhode Island or wherever they were

The film is clearly made with an agenda to make you think it is unbiased, but wants you to come out thinking the son was innocent. I dont know whether they were guilty or innocent, but it is still a very compelling film.

The devastating piece the of evidence is that moron who is clearly making up his story as he goes along about what they were doing in the computer class. You take him out of the film and you probably come out thinking they are guilty.

For a snapshot into a very weird subculture of people watch: Taxidermy: Stuff the world.

Highlight: They asked this guy after he just shot a wild leopard in Africa why he digs Taxidermy so much and he tells us in all seriousness because it gives them a new life. Some of the people on this are priceless in their warped view of things.

Just finished watching Forks Over Knives. It may have changed my life. (watch nothing change)

But honestly the evidence is pretty overwhelming even if they don't go into the other side of the argument much. You probably can't completely believe what a movie tells you but I'm almost convinced.

I never really ate a hell of a lot of red meat like steak, but I do eat a lot of chicken and drink a lot of milk so I'm going to try and cut down on those two. I don't think I could ever go full vegan, but by the looks of it I probably should.

I downloaded forks over knives, i'll see it soon. I read a great article about one of my favourite artists who discovered he had cancer at 19, quit chemotherapy despite everyone telling him it was a death sentence, and has since carved out an awesome career and most importantly stayed healthy by researching what he eats- he's now lives off a vegan diet (organic vegetables only). I haven't gone vegan (yet) but it's been over a decade since I ate meat.

Anyway, I just watched bus 174, focus, and hatred: the gg allin story. I was hungover and couldn't get out of bed. bus 174 is fantastic, it's a must see if you enjoyed the movie city of god. focus was great, because i was a sf2 prodigy as a child, and the last doco was great too; but don't even attempt to watch it while you're eating.

In what way nicky?

Gone vegan?

I've eaten many vegan dishes myself but can't bring myself to stay away from the meat for too long.

Which if any healthy eating gurus do you follow?

Maybe you could stick to organic, free range meat and fish that isn't farmed. If you need meat then you need it. Your body usually knows what it needs.

I stick to my own diet, which atm consists of legumes, eggs, nuts, vegetables, fruit, wholegrains. I've had consultation with a really good nutritionist, who is doing his phd on nutrition and mental illness, as well as a natropath, which means I use their tips. e.g. coconut oil for stir fries.

I downloaded forks over knives, i'll see it soon. I read a great article about one of my favourite artists who discovered he had cancer at 19, quit chemotherapy despite everyone telling him it was a death sentence, and has since carved out an awesome career and most importantly stayed healthy by researching what he eats- he's now lives off a vegan diet (organic vegetables only).

In fork over knives, the link it drew between cancer and meat/dairy was what i found most fascinating, and scary.

I feel like everything points towards eating wholegrain, non processed plant based foods in order to be healthy. With all the s**t they put into food these days, including hormones they feed to animals and High fructose corn syryp that goes in everything else it's not ALL that surprising that the cancer rates are higher in people who eat a Western diet.

Off topic, but I have a friend who's a major science jounro and he was researching nutritions and fads for an artticle/book. Anyway, he said researched this diet pretty heavily expecting it to be flimsy, but he found the science to stand up and the methodology excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study_(book)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off topic, but I have a friend who's a major science jounro and he was researching nutritions and fads for an artticle/book. Anyway, he said researched this diet pretty heavily expecting it to be flimsy, but he found the science to stand up and the methodology excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study_(book)

Thanks for posting that link grizzlym. I only know about "the china study" from the link you posted but it resonates with me.

It mentioned the Atkins diet and I too can't stand those diets (diets like that hight protein dukan diet and cabbage soup diet - grrrrrr.) Mainly because I have little will power when it comes to hunger so I'm useless at them. But also, i think they're bad for you anyway.

Here is another documentary (which is extremely dry, more like a Ted lecture) about nutrition and brain function. It focusses on sugar. I haven't seen it in over a year but one thing i found fascinating was the link between hypoglycaemia and alcoholism. From memory, they tested a group of alcoholics and 100% of them were hypoglycaemic - which when treated 75% of them were cured of their alcoholism. This success rate is significantly higher than AA.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/russell-blaylock-nutrition-and-behavior-aspartame/

A couple of brilliant, yet disturbing docos:

Titicut Follies - Banned on release in 1967 documents life inside an american metal institution for the criminally insane.

A Film Unfinished - Nazi propoganda movie on life in Jewish ghetto

Fork over Knives sounds interesting. Will have to check it out. My wife is a dietician so will be interesting to see what her opinion is on it. Will also be interesting to see just how one sided and "factual" it is. Most of these things are common sense. If people stuck to a balanced diet then it would solve a lot of issues. Of course it goes out of whack when people eat 5 times too much processed foods, 5 times as much meat and one third the amount of FnV they should. I dont think becoming vegan is the solution to these problems.

Fork over Knives sounds interesting. Will have to check it out. My wife is a dietician so will be interesting to see what her opinion is on it. Will also be interesting to see just how one sided and "factual" it is. Most of these things are common sense. If people stuck to a balanced diet then it would solve a lot of issues. Of course it goes out of whack when people eat 5 times too much processed foods, 5 times as much meat and one third the amount of FnV they should. I dont think becoming vegan is the solution to these problems.

Ok Macca. :eek:

The content in this documentary flies in the face of what is commonly considered a "balanced diet".

I'm getting pretty sick of people saying this documentary has an agenda. It's not like the doco contains "musings from a bunch of hippy vegans". It's about doctors and scientists presenting their life's research... sheesh. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We'll see. I'll watch it with an open mind and see if its anything more than just another diet doco. Everything youve just stated - eating mostly legumes, fruit & veg, whole grains etc. is predominantly what a balanced diet should be. Everybody knows that eating predominantly these foods is better for you. Its nothing new. But I forgot, you see a naturopath so you must know more :thumbsu:

:rolleyes:

but wait, your wife is a "dietitian" (personal trainer) so we'll wait for you to watch it and see what you 'decree.'
Thanks for your time on this Macca. :thumbsu:

:rolleyes:

but wait, your wife is a "dietitian" (personal trainer) so we'll wait for you to watch it and see what you 'decree.'
Thanks for your time on this Macca. :thumbsu:

Dietician a personal trainer!! Cool story bro. :thumbsu:

Ok Macca. :eek:

The content in this documentary flies in the face of what is commonly considered a "balanced diet".

Well, I strongly disagree with this comment above. I watched the doco. Really enjoyed it. Loved the facts and statistics it came up with early on in the piece. Liked the guys passion to his work. BUT, everyone they focus on has a ridiculously unhealthy diet. Everything they focus on is the American way of over-eating fast foods & heavily processed/over sugared foods. They mention this numerous times. All they show throughout the doco is shots of Burger King and Maccas and KFC etc. What about the standard family who eats a pretty standard diet? No mention of them at all. They mention a 'balanced diet' for all of about 2 minutes in the whole doco in which they suggest (quite manipulatively) that a 15 year old having a can of coke, fruit loops, chicken nuggets, chocolate, biscuits is classifed as having a balanced diet.

The three main people they focus on - the guy who takes a dozen pills a day, the guy who has 2 cans of coke, 2 red bulls and a coffee every morning, and the afro-american lady were all clearly very unhealthy due to ridiculous diet choices based around over eating heavily processed, sugary, fatty foods.

There was nothing to suggest that eliminating meat and dairy from their diet was the reason why their issues were fixed. You reckon eliminating meat and dairy from the bloke who drank 2 cans of coke, 2 red bulls and a coffee 'just to get going in the morning' was gonna fix this guys problems? I'd love to see his health profile by eliminating just the coke & red bull. Id say it would have improved significantly. The dozen pills guy was basically your stock standard Biggest Loser contestant. Ate ridiculously unhealthy before, lived off burgers and donuts, admitted that he ate to excess for enjoyment, then all of a sudden they show him running and excercising and doing weights at the gym and losing weight and claiming 'a whole grain and plant based diet has saved his life'. Well, no, stopping eating donuts and Burgers and getting off his arse saved his life. It was confusing and like they spliced 2 documentaries together. They talked a lot about the suppsoed benefits of eliminating dairy and meat, they concentrated solely on people with a strong over reliance on sugar, processed foods, fast foods and over eating.

Interesting doco, a lot of the theories it put forth are obvious, but I would have got a hell of a lot more out of it if they didnt fill 80% of the doco with cheap manipulative information.

What I would like to know though, which I might look into, is how eliminating meat and dairy (not that I eat/drink a lot of dairy) from an already normal balanced diet effects long term health and cancer risk. This is what I thought this doco would be about.

I'm getting pretty sick of people saying this documentary has an agenda.

Obviously its not a bunch of hippies pushing veganism etc. but its naive to suggest that it doesnt have an agenda.

Well, I strongly disagree with this comment above. I watched the doco. Really enjoyed it. Loved the facts and statistics it came up with early on in the piece. Liked the guys passion to his work. BUT, everyone they focus on has a ridiculously unhealthy diet. Everything they focus on is the American way of over-eating fast foods & heavily processed/over sugared foods. They mention this numerous times. All they show throughout the doco is shots of Burger King and Maccas and KFC etc. What about the standard family who eats a pretty standard diet? No mention of them at all. They mention a 'balanced diet' for all of about 2 minutes in the whole doco in which they suggest (quite manipulatively) that a 15 year old having a can of coke, fruit loops, chicken nuggets, chocolate, biscuits is classifed as having a balanced diet.

The three main people they focus on - the guy who takes a dozen pills a day, the guy who has 2 cans of coke, 2 red bulls and a coffee every morning, and the afro-american lady were all clearly very unhealthy due to ridiculous diet choices based around over eating heavily processed, sugary, fatty foods.

There was nothing to suggest that eliminating meat and dairy from their diet was the reason why their issues were fixed. You reckon eliminating meat and dairy from the bloke who drank 2 cans of coke, 2 red bulls and a coffee 'just to get going in the morning' was gonna fix this guys problems? I'd love to see his health profile by eliminating just the coke & red bull. Id say it would have improved significantly. The dozen pills guy was basically your stock standard Biggest Loser contestant. Ate ridiculously unhealthy before, lived off burgers and donuts, admitted that he ate to excess for enjoyment, then all of a sudden they show him running and excercising and doing weights at the gym and losing weight and claiming 'a whole grain and plant based diet has saved his life'. Well, no, stopping eating donuts and Burgers and getting off his arse saved his life. It was confusing and like they spliced 2 documentaries together. They talked a lot about the suppsoed benefits of eliminating dairy and meat, they concentrated solely on people with a strong over reliance on sugar, processed foods, fast foods and over eating.

Interesting doco, a lot of the theories it put forth are obvious, but I would have got a hell of a lot more out of it if they didnt fill 80% of the doco with cheap manipulative information.

What I would like to know though, which I might look into, is how eliminating meat and dairy (not that I eat/drink a lot of dairy) from an already normal balanced diet effects long term health and cancer risk. This is what I thought this doco would be about.

Obviously its not a bunch of hippies pushing veganism etc. but its naive to suggest that it doesnt have an agenda.

I think I watched a different fork and knives because the one I watched focussed on 3 people with metabolic disease to illustrate how a whole food plant based diet can reverse the diseases. I’ve seen this before where a guy in Arizona has a retreat for people with diabetes. He feeds them a wholefood plant based diet and his success rate at curing them is very high.

As for the link between meat and dairy causing cancer, well, watch it again, it was there.

You’re right, it does have an agenda. An agenda to stop unnecessary metabolic disease and some cancers.

This documentary has left me astounded. I have just finished watching it and the one thing it has left me thinking is that I am thankful I live in Australia...but it has also made me think that I cant be so sure of that. Essentialy what I thought was a documentary about the legality of the Federal Taxation system in the US then takes a turn about 2/3 of the way thru and then focusses on the role of central banks. I had known for some time the Federal Reserve of America was a private institution but I didnt have the faintest idea of the power it truely wields.

[youtube]lUpZhhbKUBo[/youtube]

After watching that the first thing I do tomorrow is find out who controls the Federal Reserve of Australia and if it is a private bank or one of and for the people of this country.

This doco has really left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back