Does Malthouse have to win a final to keep his job?

Remove this Banner Ad

You had to turn a positive article about Malthouse and Carlton and turn it into thinly veiled troll/swipe about Mick. There was no mention of your OP in that article, your selective 'editing' makes you eligible to work at News Ltd

Maybe look at a coach who has more worrying issues and pressure.....Buckley ;)

I think Buckley's safe until Malthouse is gone. To sack Bucks while Malthouse is still in place would make it look like Eddie made a mistake, and that'll never happen.

Of course, this could explain why Collingwood supporters are so keep to see Malthouse sacked.

there's no such thing as X or bust for the established coaches. roos, malthouse, clarkson and to a lesser extent lyon will all be given full benefit of doubt and be given every opportunity to succeed.

but there's a very small gap in quality between north in 6th and carlton in 13th. it's not unreasonable to expect finals next year for him. and you won't see him backing down from the challenge.

Nup. I would've thought Carlton have made it clear they back Mick to the hilt. Will be there past 2015 for sure. I would've thought there were other coaches who have more to worry about in all honesty. Sanderson, Buckley, McKenna, Brad Scott to name just a few.

The club will want Mick to rebuild the list and IMO will be given a 2 year extension once his current deal expires at the end of next year.

I think the problem nowadays is that coaches aren't able to do what they were hired to do because of the public pressure. He is a proven coach who took Collingwood from wooden spooners to the grand final in a short period of time.

It's about building that premiership team and developing players to get the sustained success that Carlton are after. Give him a few years.

I think Buckley's safe until Malthouse is gone. To sack Bucks while Malthouse is still in place would make it look like Eddie made a mistake, and that'll never happen.

Of course, this could explain why Collingwood supporters are so keep to see Malthouse sacked.
Malthouse can stay indefinitely as far as I'm concerned. Who else could put such a positive spin on a 7 - 12 record after 19 games? De ja vu all over again...

The club will want Mick to rebuild the list and IMO will be given a 2 year extension once his current deal expires at the end of next year.

If it's to be a rebuild, especially one he wont be there for the reward with, then he might figure it's time to retire.

Well yes at some point Mick will have to win a final if he wants to keep his job.

People expected him to take the list further up the ladder when he came in. He's come in, recognised they're not in a position to challenge, and is doing what needs to be done. Mick's no fool. Hopefully the Carlton board allow him to do his job and not demand premierships within some unrealistic timeframe, something that's just not possible these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there's no such thing as X or bust for the established coaches. roos, malthouse, clarkson and to a lesser extent lyon will all be given full benefit of doubt and be given every opportunity to succeed.

but there's a very small gap in quality between north in 6th and carlton in 13th. it's not unreasonable to expect finals next year for him. and you won't see him backing down from the challenge.
Yep but there's a monster difference between North and teams like Sydney and Hawthorn (and yes I know North has beaten both of them but I stand by that).

Much of Carlton's form has been on the back of the resurgence of Waite (30), Judd (30) and Carazzo (31). As well as the bounce back of Dale Thomas (27 but still needs to prove he's back) and the consistent form of Kade Simpson (30).

Just a quick look through footywire tells me Carlton's average age was 25y11m and that made them the 5th oldest team of the round. Only the top 4 were older and the Hawks at 26y2m not by much. If they land someone like Kristian Jaksch in a trade they might (in combination with Henderson, Kreuzer, Rowe) be able to rebuild the spine whilst fighting it out for finals. Plus Gibbs, Murphy, Yarran, Curnow they have some decent mids. But I'm fascinated to know how Mick thinks he'll find at least 3 if not half a dozen quality running players he'll need to improve the team and then replace the likes of Judd and Simpson and how he'll do it whilst pushing up the ladder without trading anything out.

When Mick loses he claims he needs to turn over the list and 12 or so players. A couple of wins and it's onwards to finals?

With hindsight, Mick winning a final with the team he had last year is actually astonishing.

Yep but there's a monster difference between North and teams like Sydney and Hawthorn (and yes I know North has beaten both of them but I stand by that).

Much of Carlton's form has been on the back of the resurgence of Waite (30), Judd (30) and Carazzo (31). As well as the bounce back of Dale Thomas (27 but still needs to prove he's back) and the consistent form of Kade Simpson (30).

Just a quick look through footywire tells me Carlton's average age was 25y11m and that made them the 5th oldest team of the round. Only the top 4 were older and the Hawks at 26y2m not by much. If they land someone like Kristian Jaksch in a trade they might (in combination with Henderson, Kreuzer, Rowe) be able to rebuild the spine whilst fighting it out for finals. Plus Gibbs, Murphy, Yarran, Curnow they have some decent mids. But I'm fascinated to know how Mick thinks he'll find at least 3 if not half a dozen quality running players he'll need to improve the team and then replace the likes of Judd and Simpson and how he'll do it whilst pushing up the ladder without trading anything out.

When Mick loses he claims he needs to turn over the list and 12 or so players. A couple of wins and it's onwards to finals?
That was Greg Swann who said in early April that we would probably change a 25% of the list.

Mick said in late June that we weren't going to cut that deep.

Malthouse says club doesn’t need another list cull

Improvement has come from the players working for each other and several players gaining match fitness. The backline, midfield and forwardline wasn't functioning as a team.

We can still sign free agents and chase players like Thomas, Docherty and Everitt whilst drafting another player like Cripps.

Think we're more interested in Boyd than Jaksch.

Carlton has veterans like every side. No different to Essendon losing Fletcher, Winderlich and Chapman in the next 12 months.

Carlton likes Malthouse and likes his style :thumbsu:

I think we will bring in five players for depth at maximum next season. Don't think McLean, Armfield, McInnes will be at the club but think the players rate Garlett and Robinson in the squad so might be saved by the leadership group. Kitchen sinks will be thrown at Cameron or Boyd most likely Boyd + free agent. Will try to keep first two round picks.

We have plenty to look forward to in the development of Buckley, Cripps, Menzel, Graham next season as Malthouse will encourage them to take the next step.

He keeps changing his mind about where the club is headed.

Mixed messages with list management too.

The Thomas recruitment is one you make when you are close to striking. Did Mick think Carlton was ready to strike?

Thomas the player isn't the issue - it's what you give up.

Big cap space and the Betts compensation pick which you could use to get a 10+ year player - lots of good players have been drafted in the 20s/30s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back