Traded Dogs trade #10, #17 and F1 to Gold Coast for #4, #46, #51 and F3

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 4 and croft

as mentioned above both team fans see it as a win, dogs have a killer list of talent but a poor bottom 6 which in part could be linked to getting father sons and academy picks and burning round 2/3 picks which give you that depth.

pick 4 will be a funny pick if you draft a tassie boy. who knows what happens with it down the track when tassie comes in they might turn one player into a massive haul.

We got picks back to match Croft who will also be bid on early.

And we have a strong 2025 and 2026 father sons, some of who will go fairly high so we will want to move our 2025 first into next year...

English and Bailey Smith might also leave so we could have multiple first rounders next year

It's easy to be short sighted
As a supporter if you are thinking this is glass half full because two of your best top 4 players might leave, who are both young, you are seriously cooked.

As a supporter if you are thinking this is glass half full because two of your best top 4 players might leave, who are both young, you are seriously cooked.
Did you read that and seriously come out thinking that's what the poster was thinking?

My read was it's just fact. Those players could leave..

Smith isn’t close to being a top 4 player Bont Libba Marra Naughton Jones Dale Richards Weightman all better and more consistent

and GC on-trades both picks...(and then on trades pick 14 that they got in an on trade)

It's now #4,#46,#51, F3 & Burgess for...
#23,#26,#27,#35, F1 (Dogs), F1 (North, end of round)

I'm sure some of the numbers are a little off now (that's what they were at the time of the trades), but roughly speaking, GC are up by 145pts and 2 future firsts.

Last edited:
and GC on-trades both picks...(and then on trades pick 14 that they got in an on trade)

It's now #4,#46,#51, F3 & Burgess for...
#23,#26,#27,#35, F1 (Dogs), F1 (North, end of round)

I'm sure some of the numbers are a little off now (that's what they were at the time of the trades), but at roughly speaking, GC are up by 145pts and 2 future firsts.
Plus this…..

Isn't the rule for using picks to match a bid is that the side matching a bid has to have the same number of list spots open equivalent to the number of picks used to match a bid?

Isn't the rule for using picks to match a bid is that the side matching a bid has to have the same number of list spots open equivalent to the number of picks used to match a bid?

Your phrasing is a bit iffy, but generally, yes.

There are some workarounds involving 'live' trades during the draft itself, but you seem to have the gist of it. Currently we'll be 'wasting' a few junk picks (in the 60s and 70s), but there are still plenty of trades to come.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trade of pick #18 for Norths 2024 end of Rnd 1 pick (~pick 20 next year) will end up with the F1 being traded during the draft for this reason.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your phrasing is a bit iffy, but generally, yes.

There are some workarounds involving 'live' trades during the draft itself, but you seem to have the gist of it. Currently we'll be 'wasting' a few junk picks (in the 60s and 70s), but there are still plenty of trades to come.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trade of pick #18 for Norths end of Rnd 1 pick (~pick 20 next year) will end up with the F1 being traded during the draft for this reason.
Sorry I'll try to explain my thinking a bit better

To use the picks to match academy player bids, the Suns need to have a similar number of open list spots equal to the number of draft picks it will take to match the bid.

Currently, the Suns have 11 picks, to use those picks do they need to have 11 open list spots?

Sorry I'll try to explain my thinking a bit better

To use the picks to match academy player bids, the Suns need to have a similar number of open list spots equal to the number of draft picks it will take to match the bid.

Currently, the Suns have 11 picks, to use those picks do they need to have 11 open list spots?

Yep...sorta.

As I understand it, we can only use the points of those picks....We do get more picks if we can use them though (So if we spend 3 picks matching for Walters we're not going to end up 2 players short). I just don't think we can use the picks added like that for points. Also, even if we end up short of points, we can still match bids, we just use points from next year (which is best avoided, because it means our first pick gets pushed back/used up, but it's still an option).

Also, the Suns don't currently have 11 picks. Like all clubs we have as many picks as we have empty slots...I think that's currently 5, but I'm not sure of that. As we trade more players out, that'll grow, and we can still delist others.

That said, if we end up not using all the picks that could potentially be worth points, the ones we don't use will mostly be the junk in the 60s/70s, so not a huge loss of points.

Let me guess ... bid on Croft.

That would be the stupidest thing because they'd end up with him.

Nice call brain child
We are pretty desperate for a KPF. Croft does look very good. But I agree not going to happen. Maybe mccabe becomes a CHF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back