Traded James Harmes [traded to Dogs for F3]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saab NLAW

All Australian
Aug 27, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Essendon bound?

I think he's going to struggle to regain his spot and will probably move just to get regular game time. The deal was almost done last year, big chance this year.

What are your thoughts on trade value?

Essendon bound?

I think he's going to struggle to regain his spot and will probably move just to get regular game time. The deal was almost done last year, big chance this year.

il_570xN.2251250951_bpgi.jpg

Lol how is he on a long term contract?
Signed a five year contract at the end of 2019 at 23 years of age. As it turns out 2018 and 2019 were comfortably his two best years. Melbourne like to do longer term contracts than other clubs, I’m sure they have a rationale.

Anyway, if Harmes wants to leave then Melbourne will just get it done for garbage picks. Future 3rd or whatever. Maybe a 2023 pick with some points to put towards Kynan Brown. Melbourne have younger depth they’d want to keep ahead of Harmes for the midfield rotations.

If Harmes was given a full time mid role he’d get 20-25 touches a game and kick 10-15 goals a year. Harmes is pretty hungry and has reasonable goal sense. He’d also get done holding the ball four times each game trying to fend off a tackle.

North, Hawthorn and West Coast could all do worse than having him around for a few years locking away a midfield rotation for cheap so they don’t completely gas their younger mids.

For some reason he feels like he should be a St.Kilda style player from the 80s or 90s. Blonde hair, tatts, bogan, a bit flashy but also a bit NQR.

Signed a five year contract at the end of 2019 at 23 years of age. As it turns out 2018 and 2019 were comfortably his two best years. Melbourne like to do longer term contracts than other clubs, I’m sure they have a rationale.

Anyway, if Harmes wants to leave then Melbourne will just get it done for garbage picks. Future 3rd or whatever. Maybe a 2023 pick with some points to put towards Kynan Brown. Melbourne have younger depth they’d want to keep ahead of Harmes for the midfield rotations.

If Harmes was given a full time mid role he’d get 20-25 touches a game and kick 10-15 goals a year. Harmes is pretty hungry and has reasonable goal sense. He’d also get done holding the ball four times each game trying to fend off a tackle.

North, Hawthorn and West Coast could all do worse than having him around for a few years locking away a midfield rotation for cheap so they don’t completely gas their younger mids.

For some reason he feels like he should be a St.Kilda style player from the 80s or 90s. Blonde hair, tatts, bogan, a bit flashy but also a bit NQR.

Why in the world you would give a player like that a 5 year deal is beyond me? Brayshaw i can understand but not harmes. I would assume melbourne trade him for like pick 80 just to get him off the books.

Why in the world you would give a player like that a 5 year deal is beyond me? Brayshaw i can understand but not harmes. I would assume melbourne trade him for like pick 80 just to get him off the books.

He was important to us back then, not ideal but i can understand it. From what I've heard he's also not on a big salary and is still a good depth player.

I'm pretty comfortable with the contract and he's still got some good footy in him. As Lampers mentioned, he'd suit a rebuilding team for an experienced defensive midfielder.

He was a good player for a fairly long time. His value has slipped big time since 2021, and he’s spent time away with personal issues this year too. I’m sure they’ll let him go for very little if he wants out.

Essendon bound?

Could be one of those cap relief deals?
Not sure how it'd get spun - dons 3rd for harmes salary and dees 2nd?
Do you guys need relief?

Be interesting to see how keen we are again
Merrett parish shiel hobbs caldwell setterfield tsatas. Thats our midfield without counting the flankers and wingers that can roll through.

If anything, we need mature kpf/ruck and a hard running hbf/wingman (ie a rivers type)

So maybe we want the pick benefit that comes with the player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be one of those cap relief deals?
Not sure how it'd get spun - dons 3rd for harmes salary and dees 2nd?
Do you guys need relief?

Be interesting to see how keen we are again
Merrett parish shiel hobbs caldwell setterfield tsatas. Thats our midfield without counting the flankers and wingers that can roll through.

If anything, we need mature kpf/ruck and a hard running hbf/wingman (ie a rivers type)

So maybe we want the pick benefit that comes with the player

I think Melbourne would let him go for basically nothing, he's not on a big contract so I doubt it would be an issue for any club.

Harmes just wants to play regular footy but the club is building for the future.

For his faults he’s a better player than the list of uncontracted North players we should be delisting

Hall, Howe, Mahony, Edwards, Dawson, Turner, Young

Spicer, Shiels and Perez all out of contract too and could all go too.

Add McKay leaving in free agency.

That’s up to 9 players leaving and we likely have what 5-6 live picks? Taking Harmes in a 50 for Harmes + 55 deal suits me as a short term stop gap to improve the list beyond the likes of Dan Howe.

He also plays with passion and I think he’d instantly be a North man so wouldn’t mind it. Get him in the club for next 2-3 seasons just to help see us through the void when we lose Ziebell, Cunnington, Greenwood, Goldstein, Hall, Turner, Shiels etc all in a couple of seasons (not all stars but still experience).

I’ve rated the pick of Shiels this year as he plays the right way, particularly defensively, and with experience and leadership. He’s just a bit too old to hang around. Harmes could do the same. Just go out there and take away the ball hunting and goal hungry aspects of his game - you’re a defender lining up in the middle/on a forward flank.

He was one of the best taggers in the game a few years ago. I assume he hasn't lost those abilities. He just hasn't been given the role as Goodwin typically doesn't tag.
You assume incorrectly, he did a couple of good jobs but was never one of the best in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back