Traded Dogs trade #10, #17 and F1 to Gold Coast for #4, #46, #51 and F3

Remove this Banner Ad

This trade looks worse than it is, Bulldogs still effectively have two first round picks with Jordan Croft as a F/S, projected to go around pick 10, and the acquired pick 4 from gold coast

Lets Dogs take Duursma, McKercher or Watson and have enough points for Croft
They won't get access to Duursma or McKercher with this pick once the McKay compo goes through.

Likely to be:

1: Reid (WC)
2: Walter (GC match)
3: Curtin (North)
4: McKercher (North)
5: Duursma (Hawthorn)
6: Watson/Sanders/O'Sullivan/Caddy (WBD)

They won't get access to Duursma or McKercher with this pick once the McKay compo goes through.

Likely to be:

North lacks forward class and could go for Watson. But if I had to guess I would say that phantom draft looks right on the money.

North lacks forward class and could go for Watson. But if I had to guess I would say that phantom draft looks right on the money.
They sure do, but 3/4 seems a massive reach for Watson. If they're desperate for some class forward of centre, you'd imagine Duursma is the better bet.

We can still trade for a first next year if we want one. I don’t see what the issue is. We’re not shut out of next year’s draft.
I see a mid as a real list need and watching the underagers this year I'd rather have the first rounder to start with, with the potential of trading for a extra pick.

Likely to be:

Personally I'd be hoping for the 1% chance that McKercher slips but I think your list will be accurate

Likely to be:

We’re obviously targeting Watson. It’s not a secret. But any of those top 6 would be great. That’s why you trade into such a high pick.

Personally I'd be hoping for the 1% chance that McKercher slips but I think your list will be accurate
I'd look upon this trade way more favourably if McKercher did slip. For mine, the top five on my list above are the clear standouts this year.

Still, at the end of the day, the Dogs' recruiters are paid to do this type of stuff, I'm not. Just struggling to wrap my head around the prospect of such a huge draft capital investment into a 170cm small forward who struggled when he was given other roles this year.

First glance, I wasn't that thrilled at the trade. Looking at it again, I'm still not totally convinced it was the 'right' decision to give up so much, but I'm really really excited now. Watson as a worst case scenario looks a genuine talent and would give us a serious forward line next year. Looks like a guy who will impact early.

We’re obviously targeting Watson. It’s not a secret. But any of those top 6 would be great. That’s why you trade into such a high pick.
Absolutely it is why – the issue is that it's a fairly widely held belief that the top five prospects this year sit some distance above the rest.

Anyway, Watson is an exciting player and should create a very watchable partnership with Weightman at the feet of Naughton and JUH.

Likely to be:

If Watson isnt picked by Bulldogs, id roundhouse kick Rob Beveridge in his jawbone

100% need for the,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd look upon this trade way more favourably if McKercher did slip. For mine, the top five on my list above are the clear standouts this year.

Still, at the end of the day, the Dogs' recruiters are paid to do this type of stuff, I'm not. Just struggling to wrap my head around the prospect of such a huge draft capital investment into a 170cm small forward who struggled when he was given other roles this year.
Maybe they are letting Crazy Bevo do the drafting this year?

The trade isn't as bad as it looks, when you look into it deeper.

Pick 10 will likely become 12-14 come draft night.
Pick 17 will likely become 22-23 come the draft.
Assuming the Dogs just sneak into the 8 next season, and get Pick 11 next year. In a draft that will have more FS and Academy picks, which could push it out again.

We have really given up the equivalent of two firsts and a second rounder in value. And we will still draft two first round picks, but one being a top 5 pick. For three third rounders in return. Trade will only be bad if the Dogs bottom out next year and finish in the bottom six.

Bahahaha poor north melb. They lose again. Nobody wants your picks scram.

GCS going to tell you to gtfo when trying to get pick 10. Whatcha going to do when afl takes those picks form you!!!!

Between Naughton, Darcy, JUH, Croft, Lobb, Weightman and Watson, the Dogs look to be building a cracker of a forward line, even if it is slightly unbalanced.

With Jones and Keath nearing the end, who's the most likely to shift back (if any), Darcy or Naughton? Would've thought O'Sullivan would be pretty high on the Dogs' draft board otherwise.

Between Naughton, Darcy, JUH, Croft, Lobb, Weightman and Watson, the Dogs look to be building a cracker of a forward line, even if it is slightly unbalanced.

With Jones and Keath nearing the end, who's the most likely to shift back (if any), Darcy or Naughton? Would've thought O'Sullivan would be pretty high on the Dogs' draft board otherwise.
I suspect Croft will be the one to develop in defence. Darcy will overtake Lobb in time but there's still a chance he isn't ready for the rigours of full time AFL football.

Watson Naughton A Jones/West
Darcy JUH Weightman

Looks nice and balanced to me for 2025 onwards.

O'Donnell will be a mainstay of the back 6 if his first 10 games are anything to go by. Busslinger the big what if, if he can lock down a spot it will be huge for he team. Coffield also a wild card as the medium size defender.

That's a massive spend by the Bulldogs – essentially two first-rounders for a six pick upgrade, when the clear top-five (Reid, McKercher, Curtin, Duursma and Walter) will already be off the board after the McKay compo and academy bid.

You'd hope that they haven't invested all of that in a 170cm small forward, even if he does have some freakish talent. You'd want to end up with an absolute blue chip prospect for that kind of spend.
But every club would rate the top end differently right? For all we know they may think that Connor O'Sullivan is the next Alex Rance and Curtin is the next Jack Watts. Kozzie Pickett is 171cm.

Looks a really good trade for the Suns. Strange as we've become accustomed to them making some horrendous moves at trade time.

But it is curious that this trade has gone through on day 1. The Dogs weren't the only club coming for that pick, so why rush to move it on? Surprised they didn't wait to see what else came through, or to see if they could extract even more from the Dogs.

O'Donnell will be a mainstay of the back 6 if his first 10 games are anything to go by. Busslinger the big what if, if he can lock down a spot it will be huge for he team. Coffield also a wild card as the medium size defender.
Yeah, like the look of O'Donnell, though he seems to be more of a third tall/intercept type?

Good point re Busslinger – completely forgot about him, haha.

We did take Jedd Busslinger at pick 13 last year. Injuries have curtailed him in his first year but he was supposedly the best KPD of the draft

Edit - see you have covered it. Most have forgotten him to be fair

It’s probably off topic but these days tend to be a bit more wary of the ratings of the kids. We are in an age where there is so much more exposure, so many more highlight reels. We talk about the kids so much more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back