MRP / Trib. Douglas suspended for 2 games (With subsequent discussion on Viney bump)

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll offer to suspend him for four games, they'll give him another four on top anyway...

No.

They will offer him 4 and with a guilty plea get it down to 3.

We will challenge and end up getting 6 by admitting to something he didn't even do.

Good decision. By the letter of the law, it could have been 5 games for Dougie (down to 4/3 with good behavior and early pleas). I think this means they want it to be 1 or 2 but couldn't with the system as it is.

Good decision. By the letter of the law, it could have been 5 games for Dougie (down to 4/3 with good behavior and early pleas). I think this means they want it to be 1 or 2 but couldn't with the system as it is.

Think and hope you're right.

The decision is interesting. I wonder if you are right or if they are leaning the other way and looking to make an example out if him.

I would have thought the 5 weeks down to 4 is about right. Especially given the press and public comments from all and sundry about the long term affects of concussion.

Given the concussion to ward I wonder if this will be a bit of a warning suspension for high shots off the ball that end up concussing players.

Will be interesting to see which way they go with this.

The incident didn't seem that exceptional that It needs to go straight to the tribunal. I'd love to know the official reason for it.

It's hard to believe it was that malicious to warrant an over the top suspension. So maybe Kristof is right.

I'm not holding my breath here though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The incident didn't seem that exceptional that It needs to go straight to the tribunal. I'd love to know the official reason for it.

It's hard to believe it was that malicious to warrant an over the top suspension. So maybe Kristof is right.

I'm not holding my breath here though.
It's not exceptional in the way of being a dirty huge incident, but they do not like these bumps on unsuspecting players who are not really in the play..
The fact that Douglas had a choice and chose to veer a bit to go at Ward who was just jogging along not really in the play and deliberately bump him will not work well for him..

It might also be they want to make a bit of an example of this by making it seem bigger than it is by going to tribunal, but still end up only giving him a few weeks.. We'll soon find out..

Toby Greene has been offered a 2 game suspension reduced to 1 game with an early guilty plea for striking Douglas after the bump..

Last edited:
The decision is interesting. I wonder if you are right or if they are leaning the other way and looking to make an example out if him.
Yeah this is the interesting thing. It's going to go either way. Either they think the point system is too harsh for this incident or they're making an example of players sniping off the play. I don't see a middle ground.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out, personally I would have thought it was three down to 2, but going to tribunal seems to suggest that it is going to be a five or six week suspension. IMO for a bump in the side with his feet planted on the ground that is a massive overreaction.

This is just bizarre. Douglas laid a perfectly legal hip & shoulder, to a player who was neither "in a vulnerable position", nor "in a position where contact would not reasonably expected". He didn't hit him high - he kept everything tucked in, had his feet on the ground and the contact was entirely to the body. Ward then hit his head on the ground... and this gets sent directly to the tribunal? This is completely bizarre.

This is just bizarre. Douglas laid a perfectly legal hip & shoulder, to a player who was neither "in a vulnerable position", nor "in a position where contact would not reasonably expected". He didn't hit him high - he kept everything tucked in, had his feet on the ground and the contact was entirely to the body. Ward then hit his head on the ground... and this gets sent directly to the tribunal? This is completely bizarre.
Maybe they want to get him off but can't under the points system? Glass only copped 1 week. Not getting my hopes up.

With the recent hysteria over concussions, they need somebody to make an example of, which means Douglas will get the book thrown at him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back