MRP / Trib. Douglas suspended for 2 games (With subsequent discussion on Viney bump)

Remove this Banner Ad

What part of - the AFL are protecting the players head don't you get.

The bump or shepherd is not dead, the head is now being protected and the players just have to change their technique to execute that skill.

Plenty of bumps and shepherd get excited every game, the difference is - they don't hit the head.

Send an E-Mail to the match review commission as I can not answer that question.

the issue is that the execution of the skill may be exactly the same but the reaction from the opposing player, for whatever reason, may be different causing damage to themselves as they hit the ground. so you're comfortable with the rule being "it's ok to do this, as long as the player doesn't injure themselves when they hit the ground". I understand what the afl is trying to do, and doing, I just disagree vehemently with it. the action itself, should be either legal or illegal. if you hit them high and/or not in play, it's illegal. if you hit them fairly and in play then it's legal. any further consequences are irrelevant as long as you execute the skill in the appropriate manner.

There was this one time I got hit in the head playing footy. I was pretty sore and couldn't remember much about the incident. My girlfriend at the time was worried and talked me into going to hospital - she thought it was likely they would want to keep me overnight for observation.

They said I had a headache, gave me some panadol and sent me home.
AFL clubs have doctors on staff, who do an initial diagnosis. If a player goes to hospital, it's because the club doctor thinks it's necessary. One would hope that a situation such as yours wouldn't go past that initial diagnosis.

That was a great hit by Douglas. It was probably unnecessary as he went for him intentionally off the ball. But it was a good hit. Douglas is no slouch, always a tough player.

We need to show more toughness as the season progresses. Lets win the next 2 (who says they are going to be easy, esp the Bulldogs) and then get ready for that big game against Collingwood, a game that is really going to test us.

AFL clubs have doctors on staff, who do an initial diagnosis. If a player goes to hospital, it's because the club doctor thinks it's necessary. One would hope that a situation such as yours wouldn't go past that initial diagnosis.

What if I told you my girlfriend was a doctor?

Joel Bowden on that thing they have which is meant to justify he excellent all the MRP decisions are said that Wingard went to hospital and was diagnosed with bruising.

Now I'm not criticizing Port's doctors - better to be safe than sorry and after Jay Schulz, you can understand them being skittish about internal injuries - but surely these things have to be assessed by actual medical diagnoses, and not which clubs happen to have the most risk-averse doctors sending players to hospital with bruising.

Or a nasty headache, as the case may be...

What if I told you my girlfriend was a doctor?

Joel Bowden on that thing they have which is meant to justify he excellent all the MRP decisions are said that Wingard went to hospital and was diagnosed with bruising.

Now I'm not criticizing Port's doctors - better to be safe than sorry and after Jay Schulz, you can understand them being skittish about internal injuries - but surely these things have to be assessed by actual medical diagnoses, and not which clubs happen to have the most risk-averse doctors sending players to hospital with bruising.

Or a nasty headache, as the case may be...
Absolutely these things have to be based on medical diagnoses, which is why I have absolutely no problem at all with Douglas' hit being given a "high" impact grading. If Wingard has bruising that was enough to require a medical diagnosis then it still shouldn't have been "low" impact - medium at worst. "Low" impact should be for the player who jumps back up and continues to take part in the game, with no ongoing issues.

** Note that the Tribunal Handbook has good definitions for "Contact", somewhat vague definitions for "Conduct", but no meaningful definition for "Impact". By this I mean that the definition makes clear the difference between contact to the body and high/groin. The difference between negligent, reckless and intentional is spelled out, but is still almost completely open to whichever grading the tribunal wants to use (ie their preferred outcome). The definition of "Contact" does not identify the difference between low, medium, high and severe, other than in the most vague and meaningless of terms.

^ok I can agree to disagree on what's "low" and what's "medium" impact.

I just don't reckon the mere fact he went to hospital should have anything to do with it.

Anyone watching the Collingwood vs Essendin game?

If so, you would have just seen Jack Frost bump Dyson Heppell straight down the front.

Didn't hit the head, didn't knock him out but bumped him very fairly.

Collingwood win the ball and kicked a goal.

Number (I thought it was 11 but it wasn't Jarrod Blair) from Collingwood

Shirt fronted chapman. Chapman is off with concussion. Keep an eye in this to see if he gets games.

Number 11 from Collingwood

Shirt fronted chapman. Chapman is off with concussion. Keep an eye in this to see if he gets games.
Was a nice bump by Frost earlier, do it legal and all is good..

Young just jumped in the air at the ball, hands were out to take the ball..
Had another look at it too, won't be in any trouble at all..

Good to see Ward's concussion that Douglas got 4 matches for, didn't interfere with his game yesterday. Rubbish!!!:mad:
Ridiculous isn't it.

It was a 2 week incident, quite obviously. Good record, early plea down to one.

Fair result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So...what odds that Gia will get suspended?
At first I thought he would be ok but after rewinding it, the siren goes and Danger starts to pull up knowing the quarter is over, that's done with.. nek minnit, smash, with not even a hint of Gia trying to pull up.. He knew it was after the siren on a guy who was about to start putting his mouthguard in his sock and he nailed him.. If that's not rough conduct, I don't know what is..

Then it depends on what you actually can't do, which they didn't really clear up..
Would Douglas have been suspended if Ward didn't have concussion because it was still too far off the play and on a player not truly in the play?

Gia didn't hit the head, the ball was right there, but it was after the siren on a guy pulling up knowing the quarter was done with..

Anyone else as pissed off as me with the MRP decisions handed down this arvo?

Dougy gets treated like a convicted felon and the rest of the guys from this weekend's bumps (read Gibson and Young and Gia) get the option for an early plea and a reprimand.

Who said the bump was dead?

"All the animals in the farm were equal, but some were more equal than others?"

Anyone else as pissed off as me with the MRP decisions handed down this arvo?

Dougy gets treated like a convicted felon and the rest of the guys from this weekend's bumps (read Gibson and Young and Gia) get the option for an early plea and a reprimand.

Who said the bump was dead?

"All the animals in the farm were equal, but some were more equal than others?"
Douglas' hit was high and caused far more damage than Gia's. Don't forget that Douglas got the benefit of a 25% discount for pleading guilty and another 25% for having a good record. Gia is eligible for both of those discounts as well.

Ridiculous isn't it.

It was a 2 week incident, quite obviously. Good record, early plea down to one.

Fair result.

and this was exactly my problem with the Douglas one.

Everyone keeps saying..."yep 2 weeks seems about right", where he actually got 4, which was totally ridiculous.

I also have a problem with the MRP making a statement with a so called test case. (unless it's a total dog act)
Douglas should have ended up with a reprimand. This puts the players on notice not to do it again.

4:1 seems out of whack.

They were equally hard hits. The difference is the one was high, the other wasn't.

2:1 would have been fair.
Douglas got 1 extra week for getting him high & 2 extra weeks because he was concussed (resulting in a high impact grading vs Gia's low grading).

That's double dipping. The impact wasn't any harder than what Gia dished out. It wasn't harder just because he got concussed. Bruised ribs, bruised brain. Obviously the latter is worse which is why head high hits are graded more severly but the impact itself was very similar.

That's double dipping. The impact wasn't any harder than what Gia dished out. It wasn't harder just because he got concussed. Bruised ribs, bruised brain. Obviously the latter is worse which is why head high hits are graded more severly but the impact itself was very similar.
Impact rating is based on the medical reports produced by the victim's club.

So let me see if I have this straight.....

Gibson can hit a guy in the head with his raised elbow and get a reprimand with an early plea opportunity due to his good record.

Young can hit a guy in the head and get a reprimand with an early plea opportunity due to his good record.

Douglas can hit a guy in the head and get 4 weeks down to 2 with an early plea due to his good record.

Fair and equitable system?????

Is it a coincidence that the first 2 players play for powerhouse VFL clubs and one plays for a SANFL franchise.

Time to bend over and spread them AGAIN for the AFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back